Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Art of a Shave ... A Journey ...

Paladin

One of the Regulars
Very nice razor and kit--and for next to nothing! But now you've turned me on to eBay shaving items. I'm going to be hovering over there to find some nice things. I'm impressed with the deal!

Dave--I saw that thread before, interesting stuff.

Paladin

One of the Regulars
Okay, thanks for turning me on to the razors on eBay....you have now created a monster! I'm putting a full court press on a number of Rolls Razors of varying vintages. My eBay name is Paladin917 in case you check it out. Ah, the unique sound of the wallet opening in front of the eBay screen......trust me, when I pursue, it's like the Terminator. Focused, fingers flying over the keyboard. It's very sad...;)

Bogie1943

Practically Family
My close friend Joe recently bought a straight razor, he loves the thing more than any other. He has been learning how to properly shave with it. He brought it over the other day to show it off, a fine item indeed, very nice one, my lord the thing is sharp. It is by far one of the sharpest things I have ever held, besides a scalpal of course.

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Paladin wrote

Okay, thanks for turning me on to the razors on eBay....you have now created a monster! I'm putting a full court press on a number of Rolls Razors of varying vintages. My eBay name is Paladin917 in case you check it out. Ah, the unique sound of the wallet opening in front of the eBay screen......trust me, when I pursue, it's like the Terminator. Focused, fingers flying over the keyboard. It's very sad...

We will be watching you and hope you win all you bids!
What makes the Rolls razor good?

Canadave

One Too Many
Hey, I've seen these things in the case lots of times (at flea markets, antique stores, etc.). Didn't really know what they were. The instruction sheets linked to one of your links makes it look rather deadly.

Have you used one?

David

Paladin

One of the Regulars
Here's my first Rolls Razor conquest, the oldest I've seen around. Probably from back when they first came out in 1927:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2258626995&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT

I've never used one, but I'm bidding on one in pristine condition and will try it out. If you hear the screaming from central Texas next week, it wasn't a great shave.....The thing I like about it is it's an unusual razor, very creative. And it was known as the "upper class" razor in many cases. Fine quality, well made. Now when you see them at flea markets, take a look through it. Check condition, does it have all the pieces AND the instructions, and the blade packet? This definitely is more interesting than just your normal old Gillettes. Plus I'm an Anglophile, so British products are of interest to me.

Paladin

One of the Regulars
I'll have to examine each one VERY carefully. There are one or two I'm getting that are literally unused. But I'll probably just display a few sets. One set I plan to gift to Charles Roberts for display in one of his glass cases in his shop downtown.

Paladin

One of the Regulars
This probably is the nicest of the Rolls Razors I closed on over at eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2258377382&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT

I just loved the travel case. Very classy.......

Here's the second one today I closed on:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2258494651&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT

But out of all that I've won on eBay in the past week, I think the Traveler above is the nicest. I have two more I'm bidding on and will post them once they're closed.

So call me obsessive....at least it's about the finer things, eh?

Paladin

One of the Regulars
I'd be happy to, MK. Why don't you PM me and let me know what I need to do. Thanks for the invitation.

Pyroxene

One of the Regulars
Hey Paladin,

I acutally own that book "The Art of Shaving" It was a pretty interesting read. Let me know if you need some info.

BTW, where in Texas are you located? I am in the San Marcos area just south of Austin.

Pyro

Paladin

One of the Regulars
I'm up in Austin right up the highway construction from you. You should make an appointment to visit Charles Roberts. His shop is on the south side of town, by Lamar and Ben White. You'd enjoy visiting with him.

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender
Have you guys seen this book:

book2.gif

I received it as a gift from Runquist. I will scan a few pics if you are interested.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy