Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The audacity

Michaelson

One Too Many
Since the Motlow family gave up control of the distillery, it's been like this. Bear in mind, the corporate 'geniuses' that are making these decisions do NOT reside anywhere near Tennessee, nor around the JD Lynchburg, TN distillery. Considering it's the only registered 'Tennessee' whiskey made in the world, they think they have a lock on the market. Guess time will tell, as a lot of folks tend to just go with label loyalty...NOT product quality, so the numbers support their claims. Regards. Michaelson :cry:

Retro Grouch

One of the Regulars
Michaelson said:
Considering it's the only registered 'Tennessee' whiskey made in the world, they think they have a lock on the market.

I thought George A. Dickel was also a "Tennessee Whiskey"? Or is that just "Tennessee Sipping Whiskey"?

Love the history of boubon but can't stand drinking the stuff. :shudder:

Tom

Michaelson

One Too Many
GD is Tennessee 'sipping' whiskey. JD drops theirs through a patented charcoal process, and it was given the title 'Tennessee Whiskey' by the U.S. Patent office because of that procedure. They're the only one who does it, and CAN do it now. Neither are bourbon whiskey's. That's a different process.

Regards. Michaelson

Brad A. Cox

Familiar Face
I noticed the same thing about J.D. but was told that Whiskey River taste like old Jack Daniels. So I gave it a try and it proved to be very close. You can mix it with anything and it remains oh so smooth just like old J.D. did. I wouldn't call J.D. and Whiskey River twins. I would call them good friends though. :cool2:

Michaelson

One Too Many
From what I've read, that's what Willy Nelson was going for when he 'created' Whiskey River, a JD clone. It's his label. Regards. Michaelson

Retro Grouch

One of the Regulars
Michaelson said:
GD is Tennessee 'sipping' whiskey. JD drops theirs through a patented charcoal process, and it was given the title 'Tennessee Whiskey' by the U.S. Patent office because of that procedure. They're the only one who does it, and CAN do it now. Neither are bourbon whiskey's. That's a different process.

Regards. Michaelson

Thanks for the info, Michaelson.

Ah yes, sour mash whiskey. I'd almost rather drink bourbon. :double shudder:

Tom

Michaelson

One Too Many
If I ever AM in a bourbon mood, I tend to lean toward Ancient Age. I was given a private tour of the plant by the manager many years ago (who at the time was also the mayor of Franklin, Ky), and have a warm spot for the brand. (From all this talk, you'd think I was a consumate drinker. I'm not, but I do have my 'druthers' when I do enjoy one or two....a year. :beer: ;) ) Regards. Michaelson

Michaelson

One Too Many
ARRRGggggggg. I KNEW I felt a draft! :eek: [huh] Should have known CoffeeDude would wander in an open door too! ;) Regards. Michaelson

Retro Grouch

One of the Regulars
Kilgour Trout said:
On a related note, When our national institution "Molson brewries" merges with Coors to form one huge company...you know the only tradition important to these newer guys is the green back. Like yourself, I'm no big drinker but more than tradition gets diluted when these things happen.

I am still reeling from the sale of the other fine Canadian brew. Carlings Black Label was the poison of choice during college. :beer: :D I tasted like :kick: but was CHEAP.

I worked in a liquor store, in college. I'd bet ITG knows the store (Majestic Liquor on the Mansfield Hwy and 820). It was scary how much Jack Daniels we sold.

Tom

I suppose I can now use Jack Daniels as the gasoline I always thought it was now? :p
This is usually why I stick with Scotch or Irish Whiskey. Those makers have been around for centuries and will never change their formula----profits be damned. It has just got to be right.
Here's to Talisker and Dalwhinnie. :cheers1:

Regards to all,

J

Raffles

New in Town
Being a barman here in Scotland you'd think that Scottish whisky would be the most popular but that's not the case. Jack Daniels' is the most popular drink by far in my bar, although it may change with the dropping of the strength. Some of the scottish brands we sell have strengths that make nail polish remover seem mild. Some of them actually take the varnish off the bar. Jack seems to be the drink of choice for hardcore drinkers, people out to get hammered and students wanting more bang for their buck, dropping the strength could change all that....

Raffles said:
Being a barman here in Scotland you'd think that Scottish whisky would be the most popular but that's not the case. Jack Daniels' is the most popular drink by far in my bar, although it may change with the dropping of the strength. Some of the scottish brands we sell have strengths that make nail polish remover seem mild. Some of them actually take the varnish off the bar. Jack seems to be the drink of choice for hardcore drinkers, people out to get hammered and students wanting more bang for their buck, dropping the strength could change all that....

Geez, you must be kidding. :cry: Those people are in the heart of good whisky country and they drink crap?! Oh man! Ask them if their liver knows they're idiots. :p
Hardcore drinker---translated drunks who do not care about the subtlties of taste. Just slam it down to get drunk. If you want that then just go for the potcheen. ;) :p

Regards to all,

J

CoffeeDude

One of the Regulars
Kilgour Trout said:
Wouldn't you know it! You leave the door open once and look who walks in! :p CoffeeDude where've you been? ...

Hey Kilgour, I've finally been released from the psych ward (unoffically) saw the open door and decide to wander in. Now that life is beginning to slow down a bit I'm hoping to be a little more active here and at COW. BTW, I had absolutely nothing to do with COW being down. Honest!

Regards.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy