Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Background . . .

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I used to take pictures wherever I could prop up the phone until I was given some advice . One point being taking them outdoors. I now take them n the same place most of the time. I try to have back, front and side pics as standard to give an ide of the jacket. And then when they come out well, pics while walking crossing arms and whatever comes to mind.

I rarely ask for someone to take pics as nobody has the patience lol

Speaking of pics, the London meetup is coming up, so that will be a good opportunity to get good pics :D

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
I think when I first started posting really bad photos on TFL of my first Aero, taken in front of the miror in my bedroom @Superfluous you mentioned I might want to clean the mirror.
Since then I have tried to up my game. And indeed zoom in on background details to see what is on the bookshelf. LOL

Superfluous

I think when I first started posting really bad photos on TFL of my first Aero, taken in front of the miror in my bedroom @Superfluous you mentioned I might want to clean the mirror.
Since then I have tried to up my game. And indeed zoom in on background details to see what is on the bookshelf. LOL

I always chuckle when someone posts a photo of a great jacket taken by way of a filthy mirror. Take 10 seconds and clean the mirror. The photo will be exponentially better.

1647219601456.png

El Marro

No one has yet addressed the second question: do you look at the backgrounds of other photos?
I absolutely do and I really liked the ones you shot in the the kitchen of your old house. I remember I complimented you on the contrast of the glass tile and the stone countertop.
I probably work on between five and ten kitchen remodels every year and I can definitely say that you had a beautiful kitchen in that house!

gmcd

One of the Regulars
I'm extremely ashamed of anyone seeing me taking a photo of myself due to the deeply rooted belief of mine that my appearance is the most repulsive visage that can be bestowed upon a living eye, thus I am forced, so to say, to take selfies in my apartment, which is small and is for all intents and purposes background-less.

Having said that, I do note the backgrounds and honestly, I vastly prefer seeing photos of someones entire ensemble, rather than just the jacket on its own. Jackets alone have started to mean less and less to me though the way a certain piece is being worn is still as fun as it had always been.
I for one always like your pics regardless of background but really like the more recent ones of you out n about walking the dog...

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
I definitely do care about my backgrounds. I don't always get them perfectly, but my wife and I do care about how our photos look and the environment in which we take them. A lot of the time, they do truly show where we are/have been in our lives.

Wtlwu98.jpg

8Rnaqt6.jpg

For example, these were taken during our honeymoon.

I do also look at others' backgrounds. I really like seeing well composed photographs in addition to nice jackets and good outfits.

El Marro

I definitely do care about my backgrounds. I don't always get them perfectly, but my wife and I do care about how our photos look and the environment in which we take them. A lot of the time, they do truly show where we are/have been in our lives.

Wtlwu98.jpg

8Rnaqt6.jpg

For example, these were taken during our honeymoon.

I do also look at others' backgrounds. I really like seeing well composed photographs in addition to nice jackets and good outfits.
Dude, Congratulations!

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Yes, I always look at the background. Typically very aware when taking photos. There are often times interesting background items in my shots, I see them myself. They help tell a story. Not sure what others see. A jacket photo has to have some life to it, some expression of what it is. Has to show a feeling of ownership; like this is mine.

With todays technology you can create whatever background you want, then you are left with the pose, the presentation.

Every picture tells a Story.

I'm far more of a "hat" guy so I don't spend a lot of time in the Outerwear section of The Lounge. But, yes, I do try to take the background into consideration when I'm taking photos of my hats or whatever, and I do indeed look at the backgrounds in most of the photos posted here and on other websites. For my photos, it's mostly about providing a bit of contrast so the hat or cap (color, pattern, shape, etc.) can be seen with reasonable clarity. The people looking at my photos probably get bored seeing the same background(s) over and over, but that's what is readily available.

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
I love to look at backgrounds. Exactly like you said: a little glimpse of the lifes of people, I´ve Come to like.
Me, I don’t much care about composition of my photos. I just do an occasional snapshot whenever I find the time.

powersci

One of the Regulars
Mine are almost always taken in the living room. It has the best light (for my awful front facing camera) and I can easily prop up my phone against a shelf. Otherwise I take it in my lab which has really good light. But it’s hard to find a good spot for my phone.

I’ve been waiting for this thread since i joined here! Please can we have a gentleman‘s agreement no bathroom mirrors. I’d rather not see the jacket than see it in front of a commode.
I’m laughing as my profile picture was taken in my bathroom. Granted, this was back in 2014, I was single, and in my tiny apartment. One day I’ll update it, ha!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider