Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The best films no one has ever seen.

PistolPete1969

One of the Regulars
My fave movie no one has seen is "Breaker Morant". Its set in 1900 in South Africa during the Boer War. The uniforms & accoutrements are good, and it is an awesome movie. I cannot find it anywhere. But it does have a very sad ending.

ValenciaCalling

New in Town
Two of my favorite movies off all time are consistently questioned with a response of "Huh?":

"The Purple Rose of Cairo" and "American Graffiti"

Two very different movies, but each unique and adorable in their own way.

78_Maestro

New in Town
I really like When A Man Loves (1927) with Dolores Costello and John Barrymore. It has an amazing action packed ending. TCM screened this restored WB-Vitaphone synchronized sound masterpiece last year, complete with its original score.

An early talkie I really appreciate is RKO's Street Girl from 1929. It has a compelling story set to jazzy music and Betty Compson is just wonderful in it.

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Lady Day said:
Nobody Knows (2004)

Based on a true story about a single mother in Japan who simply left her 4 kids in their apartment and went on to start a new life without them.

I havent seen it in years, I may have to watch it again.

LD
A very difficult film to watch. Even more heartbreaking knowing that it's a true story. Now that I'm a parent I find the actions of the "mother" in that film are even more disturbing. I don't think I'll see it again although it is well done.

Naphtali

Practically Family
One of the great films of Americana seems to be nearly impossible to find, much less to view. Based on Faulkner's comedic novel of the same name -- sometimes titled The Winton Flyer -- "The Reivers" (1969) starred Steve McQueen as a ne'er-do-well in Mississippi, circa 1905, who precipitates a life changing series of adventurers for a young boy. The movie captured me in the first few minutes when the young boy learns that his grandfather's automobile, the first in the county, has arrived by rail. The look of rapturous glee on his face at the news is perfect Norman Rockwell.

I believe the texture and flow of the motion picture to be superior to Faulkner's word picture.

miss_elise

Practically Family
PistolPete1969 said:
My fave movie no one has seen is "Breaker Morant". Its set in 1900 in South Africa during the Boer War. The uniforms & accoutrements are good, and it is an awesome movie. I cannot find it anywhere. But it does have a very sad ending.
breaker morant is not difficult to find if you're australian... it could possibly be one of our national treasures...

anon`

One Too Many
PistolPete1969 said:
I love that movie! Probably one of the earlier influences on me with respect to vintage... stuff.

Same goes for "American Graffiti". I spent years fighting my parents (they wanted to show it to me, I didn't want to see it) and when I finally did see it, all I could ask was why it took them to long to show it to me!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Sefton said:
A very difficult film to watch. Even more heartbreaking knowing that it's a true story. Now that I'm a parent I find the actions of the "mother" in that film are even more disturbing. I don't think I'll see it again although it is well done.

Apparently filmmakers romanticized the situation quite heavily. It was more gruesome than depicted. What is even more frightening was that the mother regained custody of her two youngest some years later :eusa_doh:

LD

docneg

One of the Regulars
Nocturne

I never hear any mention of Nocturne in any discussion of film noir and related movies, but it is one of my faves. With George raft as the hardboiled detective (who nevertheless lives with his mother) and Lynn Bari as the love interest, it has a really memorable opening that was ahead of its time. Some great characters in it.

Havana Joe

Familiar Face
Crystal Dark

scottyrocks said:
I tell people about The Dark Crystal, and it seems no one's ever heard of it. It's not academy award material, but intriguing, original and creative, none the less.

I saw that in the theater long ago and got the 'making of book'. I remember it was creepy, and the Skeksis were disturbing creatures. It was indeed a creative and interesting flick!

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
Naphtali said:
One of the great films of Americana seems to be nearly impossible to find, much less to view. Based on Faulkner's comedic novel of the same name -- sometimes titled The Winton Flyer -- "The Reivers" (1969) starred Steve McQueen as a ne'er-do-well in Mississippi, circa 1905, who precipitates a life changing series of adventurers for a young boy. The movie captured me in the first few minutes when the young boy learns that his grandfather's automobile, the first in the county, has arrived by rail. The look of rapturous glee on his face at the news is perfect Norman Rockwell.

I believe the texture and flow of the motion picture to be superior to Faulkner's word picture.
Couldn't agree more. I saw it when it first came out....amidst the nightmare world of the '60s, a young teenager dressed in 3 piece suit. A wonderful film, and wonderful to see as a 16 year old getting ready to start his own series of adventures. Wonderfully filmed; wonderful story. I really should read the work one of these days....

"Skeet"

bloodandmood

New in Town
PistolPete1969 said:

I agree, it is a great film. The Boer war is an interesting and seldom covered subject.

http://www.amazon.com/Breaker-Moran...ef=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1244858003&sr=8-1

My favorite obscure films:

Streetwise - a documentary about homeless teens in Seattle, so far as I know it's only available on VHS, I caught a 35mm of it.

Matewan - John Sales' film about WV Coal Miners in the 1920s. An excellent film. There is a DVD of this out there, but it's poor quality. But, it's great on the big screen.

Limelight - Ok, it's not really that obscure, but not many people have seen it. Charlie Chaplin's penultimate film, possibly his best.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Speaking of Val Kilmer....

Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang is a great little noir-esque film. Val and Robert Downey Jr. are brilliant in a modern-day set mystery type film. "Kiss kiss bang bang" is, I gather, an old expression to describe film noir mysteries with romantic angles.

Highly recommended, we have the DVD it's that good!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112