Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The best films no one has ever seen.

bobalooba

One of the Regulars
I won't name names But...

I think there are people taking this thread way too seriously.

If you haven't seen movies mentioned then they're something to look into, if you have seen them then good for you, you have eclectic, impeccable tastes but the back and forth and debates over whether or not the movies are good or should be on the list are silly and make an otherwise interesting thread kind of irritating.

Nick Charles

Practically Family
How about a french spy movie

http://oss117movie.com/accueil.htm

oss117caironestofspiespic.jpg

oss117.jpg

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
CopperNY said:
Ravenous (had to mention it again)

Dog Soldiers

Brotherhood of the Wolf

Kama Sutra: Tale of Love

Once Upon A Time In America

Repo Man

The Razor's Edge (Bill Murray version)

many of the above may seem common, but i'm always surprised how many people never heard of them.

I've seen Brotherhood of the Wolf in the original french with french subtitles (I was on a french language course, of course! It's Le pacte des loups en francais) and The Razor's Edge with Bill, a VERY underrated film that should be better known. I have seen parts of Ravenous, and have heard of the rest.

I'm a HUGE fan of "Withnail & I", which has a "cult" following, meaning a small but DEVOTED group. Other than those I've shown it to, and one neighbour, no one I've mentioned it to has heard of it.

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
MisterCairo said:
I'm a HUGE fan of "Withnail & I", which has a "cult" following, meaning a small but DEVOTED group. Other than those I've shown it to, and one neighbour, no one I've mentioned it to has heard of it.

Fantastic film, which--besides being hilariously funny, even if you aren't English--manages to say something quite serious about the [editorial comment here] horror of the '60s coming to an end, personally and culturally, while doing justice to all parties.

I will carry the line "How do we make it die?" and the image of the chicken sitting upright in the stove with me to my grave.

I don't know...call it COLD COMFORT FARM on psychoactives....

Great call!
"Skeet"

Crumblecrumb

New in Town
The United States of Leland is an little excellent movie. It was recommended to me by a friend. I was skeptical because it looked rather dull. Truth be told it is hardly a barrel of laughs but the story is insightful and moving.

A favourite movie of mine that not many people have seen is Freebie and the Bean (1974) starring James Caan and Alan Arkin. It is full of energy and has a truly bonkers car chase. It’s occasionally on telly late night here in the UK.

Whoever said Le pacte des loups (Brotherhood of the Wolf) too - good call.

Crumblecrumb

New in Town
I’ve always wanted to see Parents. I thought the movie poster was wonderfully macabre. Though it did make think of one of those horror films from the mid-80’s with great video covers but the film itself sucked. I'm assuming not though?

byronic

One of the Regulars
MisterCairo said:
I've seen Brotherhood of the Wolf in the original french with french subtitles (I was on a french language course, of course! It's Le pacte des loups en francais) and The Razor's Edge with Bill, a VERY underrated film that should be better known. I have seen parts of Ravenous, and have heard of the rest.

Yes, 'Withnail' is a 'cult' movie, i have the limited edition 3 disc set in a tin case that i picked up for a snip in a sale. My all time favourite obscure movie would have to be 'Hobson's Choice', directed by David Lean before he was famous. It's one of those movies that makes one feel better for having seen it.

Lily Powers

Practically Family
I had to be duct taped to the couch to watch this movie, but it completely captivated me: The Legend of 1900 released in 1998. 1900 is the name given to an abandoned baby boy found on board a ship in 1900. He's lived his life on the ship, never set foot on land. He learns the piano becomes a moving and accomplished musician. His story is narrated by someone who knew him, and is relating it in the 1940's. Here's a link to the IMDB plot summary: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120731/plotsummary

stephen1965

One of the Regulars
I've read most of this thread but didn't see (sorry if I'm mistaken) anyone mention Chris Marker'sLe Jetee 28 minutes long b&w constructed (mainly) of stiils. Well worth 1/2 an hour of anyone's time IMO. (Terry Gilliam's '12 Monkeys' is based on it).

Also has anyone mentioned Melville's Le Samourai with Alain Delon? Not all that obscure but pretty stylish.

6a00ccff8ecf41406400e39899336c0002-500pi

Crumblecrumb

New in Town
The man in the trilby...Le Samourai is a cold, classic piece of work. Another good one by Melville is Le Doulos.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
One of my favourite 'obscure' films is "San Francisco". It's from 1936, starring Clarke Gable and Jeanette McDonald, and Spencer Tracy. It's an amazing film, with some pretty darn cool special effects for its day. It's a wonderful story and the acting is brilliant. It's available on DVD, and I managed to nab a copy of it a couple of years ago. It's one of my favourite films in my DVD collection.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto