Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The best films no one has ever seen.

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
Fedord Spaniard said:
Well youre invited to be my friend. ;) lol

Perhaps I'm reading the tone of several posts incorrectly...it is so very easy to do so. If so, apologies beforehand.

But surely an (if not THE) issue here is....relative age. Speaking as a 55 year old: many of the films that have been mentioned--and replied to as "oh, yeah: EVERYBODY's seen that"--come without extra effort for those of us of a certain age. We lived through it all.

But our friend FS, who seems to be taking this very well, BTW, is...much younger. As are, presumably, his friends. There are a million stories in the naked city...and a million DVD boxes down at the local Rent-a-Vid. A good number of the films under discussion were made before he was even born.

Everything is new until YOU see it; and ol' FS gets extra points in my book for looking beyond the NEW RELEASES section. And, yes: he is educating his friends. Good for him; good for them.

Off soapbox now, still smiling :D

"Skeet"

Fedord Spaniard

One of the Regulars
[QUOTE="Skeet" McD]Perhaps I'm reading the tone of several posts incorrectly...it is so very easy to do so. If so, apologies beforehand.

But surely an (if not THE) issue here is....relative age. Speaking as a 55 year old: many of the films that have been mentioned--and replied to as "oh, yeah: EVERYBODY's seen that"--come without extra effort for those of us of a certain age. We lived through it all.

But our friend FS, who seems to be taking this very well, BTW, is...much younger. As are, presumably, his friends. There are a million stories in the naked city...and a million DVD boxes down at the local Rent-a-Vid. A good number of the films under discussion were made before he was even born.

Everything is new until YOU see it; and ol' FS gets extra points in my book for looking beyond the NEW RELEASES section. And, yes: he is educating his friends. Good for him; good for them.

Off soapbox now, still smiling :D

"Skeet"[/QUOTE]
Thank You Skeet. :D

Slim Portly

One Too Many
Lefty said:
I've got two already! Doubt (just to prove LD wrong :p) and Swoon - a modern version of Leopold and Loeb, that's supposed to be a bit more realistic than Rope or Compulsion.
I just watched both Rope and Compulsion last week, and for kicks I rewatched Brotherhood of the Wolf today. The Chairman of Kitchen Stadium at his finest.

bobalooba

One of the Regulars
LizzieMaine said:
Say hello to someone who's never even *heard* of it till now.

ditto.

One of the best movies I've seen that isn't well known is the Boondock saints. I've never met someone who didn't like it but a lot of people I known haven't seen it.

Fedord Spaniard

One of the Regulars
bobalooba said:
ditto.

One of the best movies I've seen that isn't well known is the Boondock saints. I've never met someone who didn't like it but a lot of people I known haven't seen it.

A great classic about two Irish vigilante brothers. I forgot to mention that movie on my list.

"En Il nome del Padre, Il Figlio e Spirito Santi" :bang, bang:

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
Again, I don't know about the "obscurity scale" on this one but "The Great Santini" was a great movie. Robert Duvall as "Bull" Meechum in an adaptation of a Pat Conroy novel. It is very good and Stan Shaw stole the movie as "Toomer". Probably not a flick "nobody has ever seen" though.

Feraud

Bartender
KY Gentleman said:
Again, I don't know about the "obscurity scale" on this one but "The Great Santini" was a great movie.
A rating on the Obscurity Scale is the perfect way to describe these films.
:eusa_clap

If no one has mentioned this classic flick, let's add Near Dark to the mix.

Dixie_Amazon

Practically Family
KY Gentleman said:
Did anybody see "Sherlock Holmes' Smarter Brother" ?
I think thats a pretty obscure flick starring Gene Wilder and Marty Feldman. Madeline Kahn also starred. Very funny, too.
You are not alone. I saw it at the movie theater.and also thought it was funny.

celtic

A-List Customer
Feraud said:
A rating on the Obscurity Scale is the perfect way to describe these films.

If no one has mentioned this classic flick, let's add Near Dark to the mix.

I absolutely LOVE Near Dark. "Let's put it this way: I fought for the South. We lost."

Have you seen Night Breed? It's definitely more of a b-movie, but I love it just the same.

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
i liked some of the dialogue in Boondock Saints but it was kind of sloppy in some parts...

i did enjoy it though...there is a sequel in the works without dafoe so...

Feraud

Bartender
celtic said:
Have you seen Night Breed? It's definitely more of a b-movie, but I love it just the same.
I sure did see Night Breed. It's been years but I recall it as a really good flick. My wife and I met Clive Barker at a sci-fi convention in NY way back when. Nice guy.

Naphtali

Practically Family
In the 1960s Don Murray was an exceptionally fine actor. Two movies of his that exemplify his excellence are:

1. "The Hoodlum Priest" (1961), a biography of Father Dismas Clark, the founder of Dismas House, a halfway house for returning convicts to society in St. Louis, Missouri.

2. "Daughter of the Mind" (circa 1965??), also starring Ray Milland, Gene Tierney, and Edward Asner, was based upon Paul Gallico's novel The Hand of Mary Callendar. It was, in my opinion, superior to the novel. Tierney and Milland's daughter had died in an accident. A medium recalls the daughter from the dead in a method so convincing to physicist Milland that he becomes a security risk. Paranormal investigator Murray is summoned to make sense of the situation. He is unable to debunk the circumstances -- or is he? Very well conceived mystery.
And then there's Richard Dreyfuss' first substantial role in the mystery-procedural, "Two For the Money" (circa 1966) starring Robert Hooks with Walter Brennan.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I'm not sure about the popularity of Everything is Illuminated, but I'm surprised that I haven't mentioned it until now. It really runs the full gamut of emotion, from stupid-funny Ukrainian break-dancing to Holocaust sorrow. If you've never seen the movie or read Jonathan Safran Foer, I envy you, because you've really got something great to discover.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Lefty said:
I'm not sure about the popularity of Everything is Illuminated, but I'm surprised that I haven't mentioned it until now. It really runs the full gamut of emotion, from stupid-funny Ukrainian break-dancing to Holocaust sorrow. If you've never seen the movie or read Jonathan Safran Foer, I envy you, because you've really got something great to discover.

I knew I forgot things.....and EIL is one of them!

Truly a bizarre yet wonderful film.

And it introduces you to the musical genius of Eugene as well.... heh

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21