Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The best films no one has ever seen.

Naphtali

Practically Family
An interesting sports motion picture seldom mentioned is "Mystery, Alaska" (1999). It is not about an ice hockey contest between the New York Rangers and the team from Mystery, Alaska. It is about the ramifications of perhaps having the contest on the 633 citizens of the town. The contest is, I believe, the McGuffin for the story of the town.

CopperNY

A-List Customer
Dark City was excellent.

and, it reminds me to mention The City of Lost Children. a French film with Ron Pearlman. a sort of fantasy/dystopia.

i'll also throw in City of God. could almost be called a 'gangster epic' set in the favela slums surrounding Rio, Brazil.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
CopperNY said:
Dark City was excellent.

I think Im the only person on the planet who thought that movie was terrible. I know it was suppose to feel like it was rehashed, but it REALLY felt like it was rehashed. I just couldnt stand it.

LD

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
CopperNY said:
and, it reminds me to mention The City of Lost Children. a French film with Ron Pearlman. a sort of fantasy/dystopia.

i'll also throw in City of God. could almost be called a 'gangster epic' set in the favela slums surrounding Rio, Brazil.

City of God is great, and you can't mention City of Lost Children without also mentioning Delicatessen. Jeunet does some great work.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
The best films that no one has ever seen doesn't apply to most of us posting in this thread. It seems that all of us have seen at least half of these "unseen" films.

CopperNY

A-List Customer
although i'm new, my observation is that the folks here are much more adventurous in their movie watching than most.

the majority of people i know won't watch any movie with subtitles.

nor will they watch anything letterboxed.

and, i know it sounds bizarre, more than one will not watch anything in black and white. "who would want to? it's just boring to look at."

LizzieMaine

Bartender
"Gold Diggers of Broadway," an all-Technicolor musical made in 1929. It was Warners' biggest boxoffice hit that year, introduced "Tip Toe Thru The Tulips" and "Painting The Clouds With Sunshine" to the great American songbook, made a star of Winnie Lightner, was seen and loved by millions of people, was remade to great success in 1933, was re-released in its orignal form in 1939 -- and hasn't been seen since. The last known print disappeared in England in 1950, and all that remains are fragments of the last two reels and the soundtrack discs.

A great film that no one born in the last seventy years has seen.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I've got two already! Doubt (just to prove LD wrong :p) and Swoon - a modern version of Leopold and Loeb, that's supposed to be a bit more realistic than Rope or Compulsion.

Red, White, and Blue are now on my library request list.

Lizzie, you win. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass