Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The best films no one has ever seen.

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
LadyStardust said:
As for my addition to this thread, I'll name The Legend of 1900. Beautiful and poignant.

Boy ain't THAT the truth...I didn't mention it because I think many people have seen it...but now that it's out there: what a film!

One of the things I like about it is--for all the great issues it raises--it leaves you with more questions than you started out with...and yet I found it totally satisfying. There are so many pictures--and other art forms--that do the poseur thing of rubbing doubt and lack of closure in your face and call it "art." ahem. This is the real deal.

"Skeet"

WH1

Practically Family
Hear hear Legend of 1900, exceptionally pleasurable movie. I have watched this many times and enjoy it every time. One of the best scenes is during the storm when the two of them are on the rolling piano and the faceoff with JellyRoll is a classic. Tim Roth is one of my favorite actors and the gent who plays the trumpet player gives an excellent performance.

LadyStardust

Practically Family
[QUOTE="Skeet" McD]Boy ain't THAT the truth...I didn't mention it because I think many people have seen it...but now that it's out there: what a film!

One of the things I like about it is--for all the great issues it raises--it leaves you with more questions than you started out with...and yet I found it totally satisfying. There are so many pictures--and other art forms--that do the poseur thing of rubbing doubt and lack of closure in your face and call it "art." ahem. This is the real deal.

"Skeet"[/QUOTE]
I guess I just brought up the movie, because whenever I bring it up in company no one has any idea what I'm talking about. It's good to see that maybe it's not so under-valued as I thought!

You're quite right in your comments though, the film is wonderful in its understated simplicity and lack of pretentiousness.

Hear hear Legend of 1900, exceptionally pleasurable movie. I have watched this many times and enjoy it every time. One of the best scenes is during the storm when the two of them are on the rolling piano and the faceoff with JellyRoll is a classic. Tim Roth is one of my favorite actors and the gent who plays the trumpet player gives an excellent performance.
Agreed, and I also particularly like the scene where he is recording "Playing Love". Just lovely in its individual aspects and as a whole.

Naphtali

Practically Family
Any other thread on the Motion Picture Forum would allow me to write: And who could forget . . .

I think it's more appropriate to write: Does anyone remember . . . "Let It Ride" with Richard Dreyfuss and Teri Garr? I'll give 7 to 5 no one remembers this strange, funny movie about compulsive gambling.

Kermez

A-List Customer
Naphtali said:
I think it's more appropriate to write: Does anyone remember . . . "Let It Ride" with Richard Dreyfuss and Teri Garr? I'll give 7 to 5 no one remembers this strange, funny movie about compulsive gambling.

I know of it but have never seen it. I used to work with a guy who loved it - but of course he went to the tracks at least once a week...

byronic

One of the Regulars
'Miracle in the rain',starring van Johnson. a terrific, old fashioned weepy. saw it when i was in my teens on terrestrial. never seen it since on tv or dvd...:eusa_booh

Dixie_Amazon

Practically Family
British title: Life Story, USA title: Race for the Double Helix (1987)

This was a made for TV movie I watched on PBS about race by Jim Watson and Francis Crick to find the structure of DNA before Linus Pauling, Maurice Wilkins, or Rosalind Franklin. Jeff Goldblum played Watson.

I wish I could find it on DVD or video tape for a reasonable price.

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
another vote for Dogfight...

not sure about the rarity of these but:

Frankie & Johnny

Things To Do In Denver When You're Dead

perhaps they are more "lost in the shuffle" than "no one has seen"...

WH1

Practically Family
Naphtali said:
Any other thread on the Motion Picture Forum would allow me to write: And who could forget . . .

I think it's more appropriate to write: Does anyone remember . . . "Let It Ride" with Richard Dreyfuss and Teri Garr? I'll give 7 to 5 no one remembers this strange, funny movie about compulsive gambling.[/QUOTE

Good Movie, I do remember this one and enjoyed Jennifer Tilly (or was it Meg?). The scenes in the clubhouse are great.lol And Robbie Coltrane as the ticket seller is hilarious.

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Marc Chevalier said:
Two mindblowing films by Alejandro Jodorowsky:

The Holy Mountain

Santa Sangre

Those are two of the strangest films I have ever seen. :eek: Not that it was bad, but I don't know, I didn't really feel they were cinema but more something like video art...

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
'THE SET" 1970

'The Set' was made two years before Australian television led the world in its depiction of sex in the classic soap 'Number 96'. Clunky and clumsy though much of the film is, there is a freshness and immediacy about some of its scenes that is very taking. Hazel Phillips is the standout in a generally unexciting cast: she alone has the style and elegance to convince us that this is a genuinely 'groovy' set of people challenging the still stifling mores of Australia as it enters the 1970s. Although the film is regarded today, if at all, as an oddity, Hazel Phillips and a few of the other actors present a fascinatingly savvy commentary on a transitional period between prudery and permissiveness.

I wonder what "The Set" looks like now? I remember it vaguely and would be curious to see it again. It was pretty awful back in the seventies and strangely even a bit dated way back then. It was meant to be shocking. It was heavily promoted as having every sexual deviation imaginable, of course that was a time before the world finally worked out that being gay was just another life style choice. To be fair some of the actors are sexy and the movie as a whole was really no worse than a lot of other movies. The Set is a movie worthy of preservation. I wonder if we will ever see it again. I hope it has not been lost. Poor Sean M was an attractive actor and perhaps never lived this down, a bit unfair as he was not that bad. The script was a shocker.

phillips01.jpg

Hazel Phillips

rodmul.jpg

Rod Mullinar

16.jpg

Sean McEwan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points