Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The best films no one has ever seen.

Mr. Godfrey

Practically Family
Ulisses

Actually, I watched this film while at school, so about 1977. I have never met anyone who has seen it apart from two school friends as we talked about it the following day. I have never seen it repeated on TV (I am sure it has but I have missed it).

The film;
Ulisse (1954) starring Kirk Douglas and Anthony Quinn

It's probably better to leave in the past than watch it and destroy the memories.

CopperNY

A-List Customer
just wanted to mention the Russian urban fantasy films, "Daywatch" and "Nightwatch".

as with the French "Brotherhood of the Wolf", most people i talk to hear there are subtitles and dismiss them outright. *sigh*.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
CopperNY said:
just wanted to mention the Russian urban fantasy films, "Daywatch" and "Nightwatch".

as with the French "Brotherhood of the Wolf", most people i talk to hear there are subtitles and dismiss them outright. *sigh*.

I had forgotten about Brotherhood of the Wolf. Its fantastic!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
CopperNY said:

I really liked Nightwatch, hated Daywatch (story wise, if you can even say that) and thought Brotherhood was boring. Maybe Ill watch Brotherhood again. Thanks for reminding me of it. :)

LD

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
Garage

Great, small, Irish film concerning a rural petrol station run by the local--sorry, but this is exactly what he is--village idiot. One of the issues running through this quiet film is the change between the old ways--a village looking out for its own--and....the new ways (i.e., "not").

One of the few films I've seen which deals with the mentally retarded in a clean, uninflected way: describing a life without coopting it for political, moral, or other extraneous purpose.

Slow; beautiful; well-acted; and not the film to see if you happen to be seriously depressed.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0878674/

"Skeet"

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
"State of Grace" with Sean Penn and Gary Oldman. I don't think it was very popular but it was a good movie. Robin Wright and Ed Harris were also in it, as was John Tuturro and John C. Reilly. Penn is a Boston detective picked by the Feds to infiltrate the Irish mob in NYC.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
More commmunist era films

Here are a couple other films about life under communism:
"While Father Was Away on Business" 1985
"Time Stands Still" 1982
and a rather cute Russian film, "Waiting for Gavrilov" 1982
Imagine a charming romantic comedy from Russia! (Actually it was filmed in the Ukraine, maybe that explains it.)

irb

Familiar Face
Ah, but has anyone seen Incubus? Not only is it the only film I can think of done entirely in Esperanto, but it also stars a pre-Star Trek William Shatner.

You'd think it would be awful (even in a fun way) based on those criteria, but it's actually rather good.

Naphtali

Practically Family
One of the few motion pictures by David Mamet I enjoyed also is obscure to a fault. "Things Change" with Don Ameche and Joe Mantegna is a bitter-sweet comedy of small missteps metamorphosing into major, comedic disaster.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I have one that is recent that I know a lot of people have heard of it, but have not seen it.

Doubt

It was a great, great film.

LD

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Lady Day said:
I have one that is recent that I know a lot of people have heard of it, but have not seen it.

Doubt

It was a great, great film.

LD

Yes it was. We had it for a three day run, and I wish we could have had it for the full week. Amazing, compelling performances by all involved. Didn't do especially well at the box office though - I think the trailer might have scared people off.

CopperNY

A-List Customer
Little Big Man.

not a Dustin Hoffman fan by any measure, but the peripheral characters really end up being the stars, with Hoffman's lead just there for connectivity. Faye Dunaway and Chief Dan George being real standouts.

one of my favorite westerns, but every just looks confused when i mention/recommend it.

WH1

Practically Family
Roseanna's Grave also released in the US as For Roseanna
stars Jean Reno and Mercedes Reuhl a pleasant romantic comedy and Reno is an exceptional actor.

I may be mistaken on the next but I am amazed how few people I have spoken with about this have seen it. The Battle of Algiers an interesting movie made in the early 1960's actually stars one of the historical figures involved in the planning of the battle on the insurgent side. It became a primer of sorts for the revolutionary organizations of the 60's/70's. The recent anniversary editions are particularly interesting because one of the extras is a series of interviews many years later with the French commanders who planned the campaign. Also unique in that it was nominated for Oscars in 2 seperate years 1967 for best foreign language film and then in 1969 for best director and best screenplay from an original idea.

LadyStardust

Practically Family
GWD said:
Stage Door 1937, I had never heard of this movie until it appeared on TCM. I loved this movie and what a phenomenal cast!

Katherine Hepburn
Ginger Rogers
Adolph Menjou
Lucille Ball
Eve Arden,
Gail Patrick

and a bunch more!

The writing in the movie is great and the banter between the girls in this movie is very entertaining.

Seen it, and it's one of my favorites! It's very reminiscent of The Women, but I think Stage Door blows it out of the water. I realize that's tantamount to sacrilege in classic film circles, but that's my take. :)

As for my addition to this thread, I'll name The Legend of 1900. Beautiful and poignant.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW