The best films no one has ever seen.

Discussion in 'The Moving Picture' started by Lady Day, Apr 23, 2009.

1. celtic

celtic A-List Customer

I am a Hartley fan,

side note...Such a shame what happened to Adrienne Shelly.
    For some unknown reason, whenver I listen to Mazzy Star, I think of Adrienne..

2. just_me

just_me Practically Family

That movie was pretty widely shown and seen when it came out. I wouldn't consider it for "the best films that no one has ever seen." :)

3. KY Gentleman

KY Gentleman One Too Many

Thanks!

4. Feraud

Feraud Bartender

Black Robe and Sunshine are two rarely discussed films.

5. "Skeet" McD

"Skeet" McD Practically Family

Blackrobe: wonderful film, which manages to deal honestly and without taking sides with what happens when two cultures meet, IMHO. It also is one of the few films I can think of which manages to show that there was....uhhh....considerable diversity among N American indian tribes and neither demonizes nor canonizes any of them, respecting them by...just showing them doing their thing and allowing you to form your own opinions.

Oh. And it's beautiful to watch.

"Skeet"

6. Lefty

Lefty I'll Lock Up

Sunshine with Ralph Fiennes?
    If so, that's high on my list of favorites. I saw it in a great Egyptian themed theater in Montreal.

7. Feraud

Feraud Bartender

Yep. That one.

8. SUNSHINE was fantastic. And people wonder why Hungarians can be brooding and depressive! Answer: the 20th century.

9. Amy Jeanne

Amy Jeanne Call Me a Cab

Most of the pre-Code programmer movies I love so much that TCM has shown once in the middle of the night :/ No one has seen them but me and some other dame in Arizona.

10. Miss Neecerie

Miss Neecerie I'll Lock Up

On that topic....

Gambling with Souls...a fantastic morality tale from 1936

I have it on dvd....mmmm

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0027654/

11. Lady Day

Lady Day I'll Lock Up Bartender

Sunshine WAS fantastic. I dont know anyone else who has seen it.

LD

12. Doctor Strange

Doctor Strange I'll Lock Up

I saw it, Lady Day. I didn't think it was quite fantastic (the story took an unnecessary and annoying Alien-like turn in the last act), but it was definitely a good, serious SF flick. I give it a lot of credit just for being real SF, not the usual fantasy space opera that passes for SF nowadays.

And now I have to keep my eyes open for that OTHER Sunshine.

13. Amy Jeanne

Amy Jeanne Call Me a Cab

Ahhh yes. I have that one, too! I think I bought all the exploiters and "budget" movies from oldies.com at one point in time (and still haven't watched them all.) I usually prefer these kinds of movies :)

14. Lady Day

Lady Day I'll Lock Up Bartender

Oooh, I quoted the wrong Sunshine :eusa_doh:
    Of course I did!

LD

15. Actually, I'd dig a trippy SF flick with brooding Hungarian Jews in it. :)

16. Laura Chase

Laura Chase One Too Many

But the 2007 Sunshine movie is really good too!

17. WinoJunko

WinoJunko One of the Regulars

A Lebanese film from 2007 called Caramel or Sukkar banat in Arabic. It was written, directed and starred in by Nadine Labaki. Its a drama/comedy that deals with the ups and downs of every day life in Beirut, Lebanon for 5 women. The film has its funny moments, but it has sad and touching moments as well. I thought it was a really good film. Its interesting to see the combination of western and eastern worlds in one place. Also, the acting in it was really good! Especially considering that all but two in the cast had never acted before. You'd never know if it wasn't pointed out. The film did really well at independent film festivals and all that, but the film is still not very widely known about. It might not be a film for everybody, but I liked it. You might be thinking that this sounds like a chick flick, but when it comes down to it this is a film about people for people. And oh! Nadine Labaki is a cutie, haha.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0825236/

18. MrNewportCustom

MrNewportCustom Call Me a Cab

Back in 1983, a little-known director named George Lucas (okay, he'd made a couple of films that we've all heard of, by then) called Twice Upon a Time..
    It starred Ralph the All-Purpose Animal,
    [​IMG]
    who can turn himself into any animal he needs to be at the time,

and his pal, Mumford,
    [​IMG]
    who speaks only in sound effects.

Other stars include; Flora Fauna, aspiring actress; Rod Rescueman, perspiring superhero; Fairy God Mother ("Call me FGM, I hate excess verbiage"), a no-nonsense fairy (complete with Brooklyn accent); Synonamess Botch, Nightmare Maker Extraordinaire, and a very colorful cast of other artwork.

It's a very funny movie and I love it!

Lee

"This could take a while. In fact, this could take a lot of whiles." - Ralph the All-Purpose Animal

19. Miss Neecerie

Miss Neecerie I'll Lock Up

is an 'all purpose animal' anything like a dogcow?

Moof Moof!

20. Naphtali

Naphtali Practically Family

Black Robe, you bet. This is an eerie, unsettling motion picture.
    Here are three witty British films:

1. "The League of Gentlemen" (1960) is a superb comedic caper, starring Jack Hawkins, Nigel Patrick, and a young Richard Attenborough.

2. "A Coming-Out Party" (1961) is a droll story of a brilliant, irascible scientist (James Robertson Justice) captured by the Germans during World War II. Pity everyone, especially the Germans. Think Alexander Wolcott in a prison camp.

3. "Passport to Pimlico" (1949). Part of London, England -- isn't.