Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The best PTSD-movies?

Fix idea came to my mind, right now.

Wouldn´t be a list of movies with PTSD-topic a nice thing?

-First Blood
You know, it´s very popular in old Germany, but the Rambo-factor isn´t anymore the biggest part of it´s popularity. We just love, how they brought a very very serious topic on the big screen. And the german synchro does again a perfect job to make the traumatic story an ass-kickin´ experience. And with Col. Trautman as best addition, of course

What other movies come to your mind? :)

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
Fix idea came to my mind, right now.

Wouldn´t be a list of movies with PTSD-topic a nice thing?

-First Blood
You know, it´s very popular in old Germany, but the Rambo-factor isn´t anymore the biggest part of it´s popularity. We just love, how they brought a very very serious topic on the big screen. And the german synchro does again a perfect job to make the traumatic story an ass-kickin´ experience. And with Col. Trautman as best addition, of course

What other movies come to your mind? :)
First Blood is one of my favorites. It shows the complete lack of respect veterans got coming home from Vietnam. The fact that Rambo travelled to some tiny PNW town to visit a friend, only to discover he's the last one of his company still alive must have been a real blow to him. At the same time, I love how Rambo never directly kills anybody in the entire movie. All the damage he does is completely structural.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
"Born on the 4th of July" - There's a scene shown twice in the film. As a child the protagonist witnesses a wounded vet flinching at fire works in a 4th of July parade. Years later after he's paralyzed in Viet Nam he finds himself as the wounded vet flinching and freaking out as fire works sound around him. Two simple, scenes that speaks volumes.

Worf

Edward

Bartender
The Deer Hunter (1978)

And it could be argued, Travis Bickle (Robert DeNiro) in Taxi Driver suffered from PTSD

Bickle is fascinating. I'm still intrigued by the notion that he's a fantasist rather than a former army man, though either way he's definitely got some sort of shellshock going on - even if it is "only" from too long seeing the worst of humanity in the urban jungle.

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many
HBO series Perry Mason offers complex flawed characters whom are human beings first, foremost, and always.
Its lead cast namesake is a First World War trench veteran suffering occasional post-trauma while coping with divorce, child visitation, law practice issues, women. And paying the bills in depression-era California.

Bickle is fascinating. I'm still intrigued by the notion that he's a fantasist rather than a former army man, though either way he's definitely got some sort of shellshock going on - even if it is "only" from too long seeing the worst of humanity in the urban jungle.
I always loved what I thought was the ambiguous ending of Taxi Driver. In the movie we inhabit Bickle's mind that we don't know what's real and what isn't. The very ending shows Bickle, fully recovered, who is now respected and looked up to as a hero.

I've always believed that Bickle died in the shootout but was so out touch with reality that even as he lay dying was still in his fantasy world.

Edward

Bartender
I always loved what I thought was the ambiguous ending of Taxi Driver. In the movie we inhabit Bickle's mind that we don't know what's real and what isn't. The very ending shows Bickle, fully recovered, who is now respected and looked up to as a hero.

I've always believed that Bickle died in the shootout but was so out touch with reality that even as he lay dying was still in his fantasy world.

It's definitely one possibility. There's also a more extreme interpretation that would say the whole shoot-out itself is a fantasy, and never happens - Travis just goes on being a cabbie. It's comparable to American Psycho in that regard, if moreso the book (which preserves that uncertainty) than the film (which doesn't).

The Choirboys (1977)

Based on the 1975 novel by Joseph Wambaugh, PTSD is a key story element. The movie starts in Vietnam with two Marines, Sam Lyles (Don Stroud) and Harold Bloomguard (James Woods) who are trapped in a cave and are being hunted down by the North Vietnamese. After a frightening encounter with a flamethrower-armed North Vietnamese soldier they manage to escape.

Now it's several years later and Lyles and Bloomguard are LAPD officers and partners assigned to the same patrol car. They belong to an informal group of fellow officers who call themselves the Choirboys. To relieve stress they gather off duty in a park for "choir practice" where they drink and have sex with two waitresses that hang out with them.
Most of the movie is about their antics both on and off duty. But one night Lyles passes out and is put in the back of a police van by one of his fellow officers. Lyles who is also claustrophobic wakes up in the van and has a flashback of being back in the cave. In his panic he shoots and kills a gay man who tries to rescue him. The rest of the movie is about the Choirboys' attempt to cover up the shooting and their firing. One of the officers, Calvin Motts (Louis Gossett, Jr), is exonerated and the oldest and the leader of the group, Herbert "Spermwhale" Whalen (Charles Durning) is pressured into testifying against his fellow Choirboys and is allowed to retire instead of being fired. Unlike the original novel the movie ends a bit more happily when Motts and Whalen fight to have the rest of the group reinstated.

The cast also included Randy Quaid, Burt Young (the Rocky movies), Charles Haid (TV's Hill Street Blues), and Jim Davis (TV's Dallas)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points