1. Thread galleries are live! Please let us know what you think of them in the thread in the Observation Bar.

Thedi shawl collar

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Bfd70, Nov 4, 2017.

1. Bfd70

Bfd70 Practically Family

My new Thedi shawl collar arrived. I'll do my best to review, but please keep in mind that I am quite uneducated on leather jackets. Prior to this my last leather jacket purchase was a cafe racer style bought 20 years ago (some of that will factor in). I will attempt to load a few fit photos but don't currently use a 3rd party since i quit photobucket.

1. CRAFTSMANSHIP: As already memtioned in other threads on the brand, the detail is superb. No loose threads. Nice material choice for liner. "Silky" (?) sleeves which i assume is to ease entry and exit. Handsome buttons (more on that shortly).

2. FIT: I went with a stock small. I am 5'10" 150#s. I wear a 14.5 34 dress shirt. 36 or 38 suit coat depending on the cut.My true waist is 30". I think the coat fits very well, but am slightly nervous. I suppose the best way i can describe it is that it fits like a model would wear it in an ad, but perhaps slightly too snug for real life. Here is where my last jacket comes into play. When i bought that i was 20 pounds heavier and it has been broken in to cotton soft over the last 2 decades. I consider it's current fit too loose, but it is what i am used to. I can say with certainty that a stock medium would be too large, but i'd certainly relax if i had 3/4" in the chest and waist (that is with a sweatshirt, with a T shirt it is perfect).

LEATHER: The color is a beautiful rich brown. Most photos don't do its depth justice. There is a slight sheen to it and an almost waxy texture. The thickness is best described as suitable for crashing a motorcycle in. It is stiffer than I expected and stops just short of being able to stand on it's own. I purchased the button model and have resigned my self to the fact that some will come off during the break in process. It takes better than a minute to get in and out of this jacket. I am sure this will soften with age. The shawl collar is stiff. It easily lays flat, but is not definitely in need of breaking in for comfort. As this part of the jacket doesn't move much during wear, i may need to help it along manually a bit. I suspect that since in my locale this is a spring and fall jacket to be worn in rotation with waxed cotton it will take 3 years to break in.

PURCHASING: True to all I've read, Carrie from Thurstons was a pleasure to deal with.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

FANTASTIC!!!!!!
    Congratulations on a fine looking jacket.

3. Guppy

Guppy Call Me a Cab

Looking great!

Don't pop those buttons off. Work the button holes a bit with a dowel rod and get that leather flexing. Once it's broken in and loosened up a bit, you should be fine.

4. El Marro

El Marro Practically Family

Bfd70,
    Welcome to the lounge, that is a great looking jacket! The size looks perfect from the photo you posted but that is something that you will have to decide for yourself. If it's comfortable to wear and move around in, then I would say it's definitely a keeper.
    We've been seeing for a lot of Thedi's around here recently and every one of them has been something special!

red devil likes this.
  5. Bfd70

Bfd70 Practically Family

Thanks. The trepidation was gone 30 seconds after the review was written. I've spent the last 2 gours moving around in it and it is already loosening up just fine. A keeper for sure.

JMax, navetsea, El Marro and 3 others like this.
  6. Guppy

Guppy Call Me a Cab

I had the same experience with mine. When I first put it on, I thought it was too tight and I would have to send it back to be remade. But after wearing it for just two hours, it felt more relaxed, and started to mold to my shape, and it's basically perfect.

red devil likes this.
  7. John Lever

John Lever One Too Many

Looks stunning

8. red devil

red devil One Too Many

I also think the fit is very good and the jacket is fantastic, so congrats! :D

9. Grayland

Grayland One Too Many

TBH, I think it fits perfectly through the body, but I'd want an inch more length in the sleeves.

Sloan1874 and HoosierDaddy like this.
  10. I agree Grayland.

11. Woodyear

Woodyear Familiar Face

Disagreed, on his left arm the sleeve hits perfectly at his wrist, on the right its riding a little high but that looks to be because his shoulders are tilted so I'm assuming it's due to the posture in the photo.

ProteinNerd likes this.
  12. Guppy

Guppy Call Me a Cab

I think it looks just fine, too.

ProteinNerd likes this.
  13. Fonzie

Fonzie Practically Family

I wouldn't change a thing, you've done pretty good there. Enjoy it!

ProteinNerd likes this.
  14. Superfluous

Superfluous My Mail is Forwarded Here

Congrats on a beautiful jacket.

ProteinNerd likes this.
  15. Sloan1874

Sloan1874 I'll Lock Up

Lovely looking jacket, but I'd fancy an inch on the sleeves if it was mine.

Dr H likes this.
  16. Bfd70

Bfd70 Practically Family

Some sleeve detail. For me the length feels spot on.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

17. holdencain

holdencain One of the Regulars

That jacket looks AMAZING. Perfect fit. Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Guppy

Guppy Call Me a Cab

Right where they're supposed to be. A lot of nitpicky forum members making new owners insecure, I think. It's perfect.

ProteinNerd likes this.
  19. ton312

ton312 I'll Lock Up

Everybody has a sleeve length preference. While these look perfectly good to me I like mine a touch longer. I own various sleeve lengths on different styles and so long as I'm comfortable with it, that's all that matters. I personally think this jacket looks smashing man. Enjoy it! It suits you quite well indeed.
    BTW you remind me a lot of a young Tom Skerritt! Just saw Lucky this weekend. He was in it. And Jesus was that a depressing film. How I saw that before Thor I have no idea. Wife: 1, me: 0
    IMG_6819.JPG

JMax and red devil like this.
  20. TREEMAN

TREEMAN One Too Many

Well done !!