Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The "Blue Blazer".

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender

My 4x2 DB and the one from the movie, The Aviator.

DoubleBreastedHowardHughesjacket005.jpg

aviator-01_l.jpg

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Contrarian that I am...

bburtner@moran said:
If there were 1 sport jacket to have in you closet would it be a blue blazer?
I would pick black. I have both SB and DB in navy, but my black blazers (horn buttons not brass) are my go-to pieces these days. I have both summer and winter weight.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Hey, wait a minute...

Our almost 13yo Fred Astaire wannabe DS Daniel was peeking at this thread here- he reminded me that he has a blue blazer:) It has the requisite brass buttons. He asked me to pick it up from the cleaners for him by lunchtime the day of his fall school picture, just so he could wear it in the photo. I should post that photo here, he looks damn sharp (pardon my french). Maybe I will...

He's very smart with plenty of brains- just like his Mama that helps him (a little) pick out his clothes:p

He also has a Hart Schaffner Marx small houndstooth weave wool sport coat... and white tie and tails... and a single button tuxedo... and several vintage clothing pieces already...

He says he wants an Art Deco wardrobe.

He most likely could win a contest as the best dressed seventh grader around here, maybe in the entire state of California...

This online group is very enabling for his clothes, not to mention for DH:D

Feraud said:
True. People with no brains go for the blue blazer. ;)

I kid, I kid. :)

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Just lovely Paddy...

I love to see pink ties on men, it take a certain aplomb and self confidence to carry it off, ditto pink dress shirts.

Okay, after seeing this one particular pic from the film, I HAVE to see "The Aviator"- all of us here do! Better yet, just buy it on DVD for the costumes.

I can keep it in the drawer with other new Golden Era DVDs such as Seabiscuit, Tucker, Last of the Blonde Bombshells... Paddy, do you know that film? It was an 2000 HBO film in the UK starring Dame Judi Dench and Ian Holm.

PADDY said:
My 4x2 DB and the one from the movie, The Aviator.

DoubleBreastedHowardHughesjacket005.jpg

aviator-01_l.jpg

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Wow, coool buttons!

Where did you ever find them Spitfire...

Spitfire said:
About buttons - yes, they can easily be changed, if you don't fancy the ordinary brass.
I went for som extraordinay brass. Got hold of some WWII RAF buttons.
Works beautifully.

rafgl4.jpg

Highlander

A-List Customer
FOR SURE! I have a nice Pendleton for winter, and two light wool navy blazers for summer(one hangs on the back of the door at my office in the event I just wear khakis and a blue shirt, I can always dress it up). I haven't had a nice double breasted blue blazer since college, but this got me in the mood to go after one.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Nice DB navy blazer...

Daniel will want this one when he see this pic from their link...

Maybe I better not let him read all the posts and see the pics from this thread. Or better yet, I SHOULD, and let him sign up as a member of FL- he quite the reader and would learn alot.

With five vintage hats already he'd definitely qualifies to be here! But he doesn't have an email of his own yet:p

scotrace said:
Right. Only one blazer/sport jacket? It's going to be the best navy jacket you can find, with shiny buttons, single breasted (it's the only one, remember). No brainer, no second thought.

THEN. When space & funds permit, A gray herringbone, an olive corduroy, a brown POW check, a good tweed, another navy blazer, double breasted (Ben Silver offers a very fine one, for my taste), etc.

EDB_R.jpg

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
chanteuseCarey said:
Where did you ever find them Spitfire...

e-bay. Of course.
I actualy bought several, just to pick out the nice ones.

The biggest problem is finding enough (8) small ones for the sleeves.
In RAF they were used as breastpocket buttons on the tunic. So normally the packagedeal is 5-6 big ones and two small ones. So I just had to hunt for more.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Spitfire said:
The navy blue blazer is a must in every gentlemans closet.
And if you're only allowed one sportsjacket, it has to be the one.
About buttons - yes, they can easily be changed, if you don't fancy the ordinary brass.
I went for som extraordinay brass. Got hold of some WWII RAF buttons.
Works beautifully.

rafgl4.jpg
I think that's more than a little bit incorrect. I don't care how old the buttons are - to wear a military affiliation that one has not earned is simply disrespectful to those who fought and died in the regiment/force/etc.

For example, I like the ties of the Guards Regiments, but I will not wear one unless and until I am part of such a regiment.

Zach R.

Practically Family
To me, being in a college environment and seeing blue blazers being collectively "worn out" by the frat-boy element leaves the concept of owning one and wearing it a bad taste in my mouth.

Men in backwards ballcaps, blue blazers (with pastel dress shirts), khaki pants (or shorts) and sperrys will forever haunt my fashion sense. :p

Drew B

One of the Regulars
Zach R. said:
To me, being in a college environment and seeing blue blazers being collectively "worn out" by the frat-boy element leaves the concept of owning one and wearing it a bad taste in my mouth.

Men in backwards ballcaps, blue blazers (with pastel dress shirts), khaki pants (or shorts) and sperrys will forever haunt my fashion sense. :p

OUCH!...

You know, I just can't bring myself to answer this. There must always be more jackets.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
theFatPack said:
I think that's more than a little bit incorrect. I don't care how old the buttons are - to wear a military affiliation that one has not earned is simply disrespectful to those who fought and died in the regiment/force/etc.

For example, I like the ties of the Guards Regiments, but I will not wear one unless and until I am part of such a regiment.

I think I understand what you are saying here.
When we are talking about wearing a regiment tie or Squadron Crest badge.
But buttons? And not even the official RAF Blazer Buttons (They can be bought)

But you do not earn buttons.
You earn medals, you earn rank.
But - to me - buttons are.... well... buttons. Standard equipment.

There is of course a reason why I choose these specific buttons.
And I wear them as a tribute to the men who flew and fought - and died in the Battle of Britain.

You have your reasons - as I have mine.:)

edit: By the way: These buttons are no longer in use. The traine eye will see that it is the Kings Crown (WWII) buttons - and not the regular, modern Quens Crown. So unless I look like a 80-85 years old, nobody will take me for an ex-RAF person.
If I got hold of some Napoleon 7th Hussars buttons - would that make me a veteran from 1806? Or an imposter??

But you do raise a very intersting question. Where to draw a line. But in order not to hijack this thread, I will start a new one.
Back to the blazer.

a definite "yes"

yessir - i am totally in blazers as they perfectly walk the line between formal suits and light but completeley dressed sports.

this one is from today's office apparel:

- blue, english trim, double vented
- red silk lining
- golden non-custom buttons (to be replaced when i find nicer ones - likes those from spitfire??)
- embriodered blazer crest

blazer.jpg
[/IMG]

WildCelt

One of the Regulars
Zach R. said:

I've had the same knee-jerk reaction to that look and for several years avoided wearing my blue blazer with anything remotely resembling khakis. Then I realized that with properly fitted clothes, a fedora, and proper dress shoes (and without the deck shoes, croakies, and baseball cap), I don't look like one of their number at all.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Double or single breasted?

I assume that by this time everyone here knows the story (possibly apocryphal?) of how "Blazers" got their name? Apparently in the 18th century Royal Navy ships' captains all had a personal crew to row them around in their "gig". They paid for their rowers' outfits out of thier own pockets (this being before the era of standard navy uniforms.) The frigate HMS Blazer (great name for a frigate) had a partically attractive get up: dark blue double breasted jackets with brass buttons, and white trousers. It immediately caiught on all over the navy, and all over the world. Not really sure if it's true, but this is the legend.
Anyway, what I want to ask is this: I've seen most people here say that the single breasted blazer was more desirable. I lean toward the double breasted.
Opinions? Elucidation? Thanx.

Feraud

Bartender
dhermann1 said:
Anyway, what I want to ask is this: I've seen most people here say that the single breasted blazer was more desirable. I lean toward the double breasted.
Opinions? Elucidation? Thanx.

I prefer double breasted. The single breasted blue blazer is worn by many building security guards in NYC.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy