Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The BORSALINO BROTHERHOOD

bond

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Good job nic , I noticed that a few of the borsos I have come across have been out of round as well , but after shortening others I am more hesitant in cutting brims especially with the borsos because it seems to throw the proportion with the crown out of wack if too much is taken off. That's just my opinion .
I too like 3/8 brim best

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Thank you, Manfred, Dano, and Randall. :)

Good job nic , I noticed that a few of the borsos I have come across have been out of round as well , but after shortening others I am more hesitant in cutting brims especially with the borsos because it seems to throw the proportion with the crown out of wack if too much is taken off. That's just my opinion .
I too like 3/8 brim best

I'm very hesitant in chopping brims as well. As a matter of fact, this is my first trim on a fine hat. The Borsalino blocks work well with brims down to 2.5" or 2 3/8"; it depends. The blocks used by Borsalino in the 50s were often accompanied with brims anywhere from 2 3/4" to 2.5", and sometimes 2 3/8".

Oh, and I have since removed the slight indentation at the front section using steam.

Last edited:

bond

Recently refinished Borsalino 50s vintage in a blue grey heather felt with a deep blue ribbon. Underwelt brim edge. A keeper at last!
28193FA0-E25C-410F-9CFC-28F28FCF1037-280-0000001C46370F67.jpg

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Recently refinished Borsalino 50s vintage in a blue grey heather felt with a deep blue ribbon. Underwelt brim edge. A keeper at last!

Very nice, bond! Misto felt, I presume. Felt/ ribbon combo looks exactly like my Borsalino Misto M. cielo con cobalto.

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Bond, I couldn't wear that Borsalino, but it looks super on you.

Are you referring to the felt color?

If the felt color is what I think it is, it looks like this in natural light. You wouldn't think twice about wearing it.

Borsalino Misto Gorasgu - M. cielo con cobalto:

BorsalinoGorasguMisto-MCieloccobalto-2.jpg

bond

Thank you for the compliments. Now I'll tell you that I flipped the felt inside out after I gave it a naphtha bath and also replaced ribbon with a very nice vintage stock one and leather sweat is new too.
Liner was fortunately clean and still has the parchment over it.
The welted edge works really good on it too as it helps to hold its shape. I also reveresed the crown.

bond

My very biased opinion is strictly slanted towards anything before the 70s as being worthwhile. Best if you can actually handle a vintage and a newer one and you will get a sense of the quality that separates the new felts and materials from the older vintage ones.

-30-

A-List Customer
"handle a vintage and a newer one and you will get a sense of the quality that separates the new felts and materials
from the older vintage ones."
QUOTE bond.

It is not only the "felts and materials", but the methods of construction that belies the difference.

Regards,
-30-

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace