Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The BORSALINO BROTHERHOOD

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
Great find Manfred but think the ribbon treatment detracts from a classic hat. I think a classic ribbon treatment would suit it better. Just my 2 cents.

ManofKent

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Great find Manfred but think the ribbon treatment detracts from a classic hat. I think a classic ribbon treatment would suit it better. Just my 2 cents.

Agreed - nice find. As to the ribbon I've mixed views - it's very European looking, and not out of place with many that Borsalino and other Italian manufacturers have used, but I think I'm more of a traditionalist.

Manfred, Unique Borsalino! Is part of the tip label missing? The interior appears finished so it must be original. Not sure I have seen a sweat like that before. How much does it weigh?

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
Alan, Mike, Richard and Steve, Thank you guys for your nice comments and honest opinion about the grosgrain ribbon.
I know it's not traditional to put a modern ribbon on an old guy but I have to much black hats with black ribbon and this one, should be different!

Steve, the hat has a weight of 87 gramms. 91 gramms with the ribbon what is a bit thicker! Yes the tip label is missing and it looks like a original unlined interior!

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
Manfred, I'm glad your sticking with your ribbon then because it's your hat and your head it's on. That's all that really matters so more power to you bro!

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
A really great Borsalino, Manfred. Ribbon-wise I'm a little conservative myself, but I find yours a "refreshing breath". Compared to all the colorful - to me quite weird - braids of leather, horsehair and beads I see from US, this ribbon suits my European eyes quite a bit better. Things like that are often tied to culture and traditions :)

KOOLKERNEY

New in Town
Or at least something similar, like this one. I am looking for my first hat and this is pretty much exactly what I want. I am to new to the subject to really find what I am looking for! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

5zh7xg.jpg

Hard to say much about that hat from the photos, other than it appears recent or modern and it seems to have a good amount of wear to it. Not sure what you are hoping to find, but for a first purchase I would suggest an auction with better photos.

KOOLKERNEY

New in Town
Thanks Alan! I'm not overly concerned of wear as I always love some nice character. I really just want something very similar to that style/colour that fit's well, and that is of a respected company and not something made by H&M (respected, yes, but you get the point).

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
I really just want something very similar to that style/colour that fit's well, and that is of a respected company and not something made by H&M (respected, yes, but you get the point).

This summer my son realized, that the hair on it's way South on his neck and sliding further down his back, never will return to "the pole" again. He bought himself a linen cap from H&M. Not a quality cap at all, but it was a cautious start - probably with a little sweaty hands - so of course I complimented him immensely.

When the factory of Langenberg/BeaverBrand closed last summer, I bought a couple of nicer woollen caps for him - and I still have handful of linen caps for him this spring. Still not super quality, but a substantial step up from the H&M. Sometimes, buying at H&M is not a bad strategy. Certainly not if your dad shares your "psychosis" lol

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
I just had to chew on this little piece of bait of Paddy's. Not very old, but Borsalino still made very nice quality in the 60s. Usually, I'm most comfortable with brims around 2 3/8" - 2 5/8", but I do own a few stingier. Whether it's comfortable or not very much depends on the rest of the hat :)

Actually, I have an old bolt of exactly that ribbon from Southern French "Vialaton & Martin", so I will be able to replace the button on the wind-trolley. Maybe not the cheapest find, but the cheap inter-EU shipping changes the financial scene considerably for me. The tripple brim-stitching and the ribbon made up my mind ... yeah well, I rarely do that myself anyway :D

MrCairo

Familiar Face
First post on the forum and trying to make it count by going straight for the Borsalino Brotherhood initiation - so here's a (qualitatively and stylistically poor) picture of me wearing my Borsalino Marengo in dark olive (but under artificial light it looks brown). it's my first and so far only Borsalino, but more will be on the way, to be sure.

20140114_155257-1-1-1_PerfectlyClear_0002-1.jpg

Buonasera a tutti.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy