Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The BORSALINO BROTHERHOOD

rclark

Call Me a Cab
I made a similar post in the New Hats thread, but thought I'd post here as well. I picked up this Borsalino Alessandria yesterday at a random vintage clothing shop in the middle of nowhere. It is in good shape and fits me perfectly. Anyone here have an idea as to the age of this hat? I'm very pumped, as this is my first Borsalino. Great hat.

Nice one Rick.
I wanted to add what I can about this hat.
I was in Ft Worth on business in 1988-89 & was looking for an Open Road replacement.
I went to Peter Bros & they had these Borsalino Alessandria's that fit the bill so I bought one, wore it out the store.
When we visited Peter Bros on The Fedora Fest that visited Garland & HatCo factory, I asked Joe about the hat.
It didn't have the store name on the sweat.
Joe said he bought a stack of those from his vendor that he was unloading. They had reclaimed inventory from a hat shop that closed.
Joe still had one in his display case, a real small one!
This one looks exactly like mine & the one in the case, side-seamed liner, size sticker w/o US size, hare & wild rabbit fur blend...

DougC

Practically Family
Gt-Is that a picture of the really small one? If so, that is my size! Edit-sorry, failed to notice it was RClark's hat.

Last edited:

rclark

Call Me a Cab
Thanks everyone for the help with the dating of my "new" hat. I knew it wasn't likely "vintage" vintage due to the sizing sticker, but the price was right and it was a perfect fit. Its the perfect weight felt for spring. I'm rather new to the vintage hat thing, so I thought this was not a bad find, and love trying to figure out the places and distances these hats travel.

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
Unsure of age.

atuhuvar.jpg

e8y9u4uz.jpg

hy3a4a6a.jpg

ypu6y9ud.jpg

jehumena.jpg

7a4ysanu.jpg

e8a7u5u8.jpg

7ejazedy.jpg

evy9avun.jpg

umy6ybar.jpg

charliemacsings

New in Town
Was requested to move this discussion over this thread - have got some wonderful input and still looking for other tidbits if you happen to know anything about this hat. Thanks - I found it on a table while walking the streets of Genoa, Italy about ten years ago. I kind old lady was selling knick knacks on a table, placed it on my head and it was a perfect fit. Couldn't resist. The markings on the hat are as follows:

"C. Sartoris"
Via Roma - Genova - Casa Fondata 1882

Sweatband: "Borsalino - Antica Casa 1857"
Under Sweatband: 7 1/8 (Galmoela) 175 2220 - F

The hat is near MINT - and recently at a hat store in NYC, the gentleman working were quite blown away by the condition. Couldn't offer me anymore information and forwarded me to The Fedora Lounge.

Thanks for your time guys - this thing has been a mystery! Even wrote Borsalino in Italy.

Charlie

http://tinypic.com/r/nn0c3c/8
http://tinypic.com/r/286sd47/8

charliemacsings

New in Town
Mine has ...94 but was purchased in the 1980's.
Joe Peters told me he bought that batch of Alessandrias in the mid-1980's....

You think it's that late? The gentleman at JJ hats said it was old-old. Referring to the techniques used in making the brim. Like early 1930's. Thanks for your help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic