Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The BORSALINO BROTHERHOOD

Purplesage

One Too Many
Alan I don't even know if I'm reading the model name correctly. I tried all different spelling combinations and didn't come up with a single Italian word that translated into English. The color was no problem and aptly named "Black Cherry." The hat has a Black Cherry hue to it when the light his it right.

Thanks Mike. You have some great lids yourself.

I tried all different spelling combinations and didn't come up with a single Italian word that translated into English.

Yes, this is a shared experience. My Colombo and two Marque Grand Luxe velours show the word "Ecosca." The only match I've found for it is an eBay seller account based in Italy.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Many companies in Europe in the period used these made-up words(not really names) in their catalogs--the choice of first letter likely has a category associated. More an alternative to numbers. Not originating from real words in any language.

Here's an American Wholesaler of the 30's with names but they are only for catalog ids:

Photo copy.jpg Photo.jpg

Purplesage

One Too Many
That's real interesting. To someone who doesn't know Italian the words chosen for their model names would appear to be real words and not something made up.

Purplesage

One Too Many
Borsalino Grand Prix-Paris

I've had this one for a while just never posted it. Not sure of when it was made. I was thinking maybe mid 50s! It has a 2 1/4" brim with custom edge and a 5 1/2" open crown which is wrapped in a 1 3/4" grosgrain ribbon with wind trolley. I'm pretty sure the liner is silk. It has a certain sheen and feel to it and the seam is angled on the side. The sweatband is unreeded. The manufacturers tag says "Folco". I did a google search and Folco in Italian is a boys name derived from the ancient German "Folker", latinized as "Folcus"; fighter for the people. I'm not sure what the other word is following "c/.." I was thinking Folco was the hat color but I guess it's the hat model!.

3638ba6d-e12c-4183-8a62-9c635193c371_zps9324def4.jpg

dde6067c-7140-42a8-bc17-74c8e4c5bc9a_zps4442be93.jpg

photo2-309_zpse7710c1b.jpg

photo1-386_zpsa72b8f66.jpg

photo1-384_zpsda9245d2.jpg

photo1-390_zpsef075046.jpg

photo5-307_zps8cfe4e5e.jpg

photo3-292_zps2e942869.jpg

photo5-306_zps8d291d84.jpg

photo1-391_zpsbc34a1b2.jpg

Mr.Astor

Banned
I had a friend of my daughter's that teaches Italian look at the labels on my Borsalino's and interpret them for me over half of the words she said she never heard of. These are antica casa. She said the last name was probably the maker.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
The manufacturers tag says "Folco". I did a google search and Folco in Italian is a boys name derived from the ancient German "Folker", latinized as "Folcus"; fighter for the people. I'm not sure what the other word is following "c/.." I was thinking Folco was the hat color but I guess it's the hat model!.

On the Borsas, I have with that type of label, the left word is the color and the right is the model name. I'm not sure of the letters in the word to the right, so it's hard to know, what is what on your label.

I had a friend of my daughter's that teaches Italian look at the labels on my Borsalino's and interpret them for me over half of the words she said she never heard of. These are antica casa. She said the last name was probably the maker.

That sounds very strange. The only two words that cause problems are the ones on the label (color and model). The rest is quite elementary. I understand a little French (speak even less) - I can barely order a beer in Spanish - know absolutely no Portuguese. I can order a plate of "escargots" with "vino bianco" in Italian, and I know I should take off my "capello" in the restaurant - but that's about all I know about Latin languages. Anyway, that's more or less what I need to know to read Borsalino labels ... except for the two words, describing color and model name.

Mr.Astor

Banned
Chepstow I understand I have way too many,what I was trying to communicate they all come from Italy with the hat shops name in them Napoli Florenza Venezia etc.etc.

Miamibruno

One Too Many
I happen to speak Italian (lived there for a bunch of years) and I don't understand half those words. Folco for example, that PurpleSage says is a name (and which, I'm sure is correct) I never heard as someone's name. And I traveled from Sicily to where they only speak German (even though it is technically still Italy). They're playing with our minds.

Mr.Astor

Banned
Look at Japanese car name's meaningless! At least Ferrari and Maserati names meant something "Khamsin" "Mistral" "Sebring" ! They sell books for corporate manufacture's to choose name's that may enhance their product, then a committee meets and chooses a name OH BOY!

Like Alec Issigonis said "A camel is a horse that a committee built" the developer and engineer of the Mini Cooper!

Second word can be ribbon color if different than felt

Palazzo Folco Vicenza Factory and Palace and section of the city(Family name). Doesn't seem overly brown...quite nice though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDPQTxXrjtg

I agree at least the first word could relate to color because the first word "Mogano" in the following label is a color and it matches the hat / ribbon (redish brown). I have no idea about the second word "Gatesan". Could be made up or shortened.

4576034246_d465d0443f_b.jpg

http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mogano_(colore)

Here is another one. "Dattero" is a shade of brown which matches the hat / ribbon.

5199630040_0ccd0aedf0_b.jpg

Here is another one from hat that belongs to Manfred. "Mirtillo" is a shade purplish dark blue which matches the hat.

12328820733_d763fa3e10_o.jpg

By the these are all old German market Borsalinos.

Last edited:
Yes, well documented in this thread, with the middle word corresponding to a color for the ribbon if different than the felt, a dash in the middle if same as the felt. The third and usually mysterious word denotes a style code, though I don't believe these words carry through to retail brochures or catalogs (some have been posted earlier in this thread).

I looked back trying to find the post war Borsalino catalog scans that RLK posted some time ago but ran out of steam... Ecosan, Ludoela, Ipersca, Gorasgu, et al? I don't remember that they appear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy