Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The BORSALINO BROTHERHOOD

rclark

Call Me a Cab
I was joking about the 1960s dating (see posts on long hair black Black Borsalino)! My guess is early 1950s or older.

See above!

Ha! I defer to you on dating European hats, Steve, so I thought I had the date of purchase down to 1960! LOL. It really is in amazing shape. It's almost like I just brought it home from the store.

rclark

Call Me a Cab
Looks great, Rick! Interestingly enough, I had to wrap my wind cord around twice on my Alessandria as well, which is darn near the same color!

Harv, that is strange. I have another Borsalino in a grey color and the wind cord is much shorter. Maybe there is an explanation for it. Who knows?

rclark

Call Me a Cab
Great find RClark. That thing is in amazing shape.
The shot of the liner is pretty consistent with the inside of the one I recently scored. The biggest difference I see is that the background of the oval logo in the crown of yours is brown, whereas it's blue in mine. It's interesting to me that in both our hats, imprinted above the store name is 'imported by' in the same font.
What is the brim width on yours? I only just now noticed, when I looked at it again, that mine says Alessandria in the liner. Most I've seen identified as such here on the lounge have been thin ribboned, like yours. I wonder if the one I have was re-furbed at some point? The knot on the bow is really fancy, with a lot of pleats, and it never struck me as an aftermarket item until now.
Either way, sorry to ramble. That's a really cool hat. You have an enviable collection.

Thanks Dale! You got the deal of the year on yours! That is one sweet hat.

paratroopertim

New in Town
Thank you Daniele you are very helpful and the type of person that inspires me to learn more. I also want to thank everyone that has also tried to help me. I apologize if I had ever offended anyone by being too blunt. I hope that I was never rude and I would love to continue to participate in this forum as I continue to pursue fine hats. I am not trying to sell anything at this point just trying to gain knowledge on the subjects at hand. I believe I have got a little over zealous and lost my filter on some things. I want to continue to be part of this great forum.

Last edited:

paratroopertim

New in Town
11050820_914878118557043_4968232513333401405_o.jpg
I JUST RECIEVED ANOTHER VINTAGE BORSALINO AND WAS WONDERING WHAT TIME PERIOD THIS SIZE LABEL WAS USED . I REALLY WISH I DIDNT MAKE IT FALL OFF SO EASILY WANTED TO KEEP EVERYTHING ALMOST PERFECT. AWWWWW!!!

Last edited:

paratroopertim

New in Town
10320526_748950815149775_648068565266820873_n.jpg
yumm sediment was minimal and still tasted good , this Bordeaux was great even though it was actually over aged. I guess preservation can really do wonders. I have one demi left of this vintage, I'm thinking I just might save it.

Last edited:

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Tim thanks for the kind words.
I try do to my best since I'm quite new on FL.
The label you posted seems to me very rare in Borsalino because usually they used the French size method, so this is normally a 6 if US or 6 1/2 in UK a 59 here in Italy.
You want a little puzzle the forum with this enquiry?
It seem to me you have a lot of enthusiasm, but a tendency to be a little conundrum.
Photos of Borsalino are better than the size tag :D

About wine I'm completely in discord with you.
I live on the east side of Valpolicella.
For red wines I have others idea when there is sediment and oxidation.......:focus:

paratroopertim

New in Town
Your welcome Daniele, With this Tag I just thought maybe there could be a new way of finding info and keeping it Basic rather than just style based timelines.
S

paratroopertim

New in Town
Thank you Alan you just gave me exactly what I was looking for in this forum. I am very happy. :D Simple yet very straight forward information.

Last edited:

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Tim as you see in the pictures Alan gently posted, first is a Borsalino with US tag size (57 cm.) in fact it has a US hats shop mark, the second came from Naples and it has the French size tag 4 1/2 (56 cm.)
Alan it is possible to see the entire hats?
Do you wear them without problem, or the "italian" one is a little bit tight?

Alan it is possible to see the entire hats?
Do you wear them without problem, or the "italian" one is a little bit tight?

Hi Daniele, the US market hat fits well as a size 7. The European market hats tend to run small in my experience - a 5 is best for me. This 5 1/2 Feather Weight was a little large. I no longer have it.

blueborso1.jpg

blueborso4.jpg

The Feather Weight

newfeather2.jpg

paratroopertim

New in Town
Nice, I love Asia I used to live in the Philippines as a civilian and have been most places in the vicinity. If you can find any Yabu Meizan pieces snatch them up while your there.

It was very nice and a good illustration of how much later Borsalinos retained the qualities of their older siblings even as the quantities (brim width, crown height) diminished.

newfeather1.jpg

(mirror image)

rclark

Call Me a Cab
I came across this ad in the Muskogee (Oklahoma) Times-Democrat from October, 1917. Very interesting reference to the hats making it across the ocean despite the presence of German submarines.

Last edited:
Great addition. One has to love their commitment to their mark and keeping it consistent through a sea of change. Below, the hat I wore today, $20 and a couple of wars after:

borsale030215.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails