Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The BORSALINO BROTHERHOOD

I'm trying to nail down the hat's age a little by looking into the importer. View attachment 48468

Keeping in mind that Borsalino imports into the U.S. trickled to halt around 1940 and didn't resume until the factory was restored after the end of WWII, virtually all the hats we see with the Borsalino imprint on the left side of the manufacturing label are c.1950 - with a window of a few years on either side and mostly on the north (more recent) side. Every once in a while a pre-war era hat shows up. As Steve mentions above, the style sometimes is a clue but not always. A manufacturing label like the one below from Steve's website with its separate size sticker is one of the few clues that can help to identify an earlier hat.

The color translation is correct. The style is Ludoela. Tommy's hat above shows a different name that appears for this style - Ta'Ludora.

4576034246_d465d0443f_b.jpg

Keeping in mind that Borsalino imports into the U.S. trickled to halt around 1940 and didn't resume until the factory was restored after the end of WWII, virtually all the hats we see with the Borsalino imprint on the left side of the manufacturing label are c.1950 - with a window of a few years on either side and mostly on the north (more recent) side. Every once in a while a pre-war era hat shows up. As Steve mentions above, the style sometimes is a clue but not always. A manufacturing label like the one below from Steve's website with its separate size sticker is one of the few clues that can help to identify an earlier hat.

The color translation is correct. The style is Ludoela. Tommy's hat above shows a different name that appears for this style - Ta'Ludora.

THank you again, Alan. I had assumed 50s, given what little I had read up on. And thanks for the clarification on the style name.

Alan, Yes this is good one. Thanks!

I just noticed that the Stiff Felt that belongs to Sue (Billysmom) has the same paper label as my 1929 Echter Borsalinos (Max Eckard Berlin) Soft Felts. The labels are shorter and wider than what you see later and the Point size is hand written in the lower right corner (notice they use 4/2 (4 1/2) and 6/2 (6 1/2)). Also the components are of similar quality / character (see the links for details).

Borsalino Stiff Felt (Sue / Billysmom)

DSCF1827.jpg

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/the-borsalino-brotherhood.13133/page-44#post-924268

Echter Borsalinos (Max Eckard Berlin) date stamped 1929

17203713027_817844bccd_b.jpg

http://germanaustrianhats.invisionz...c/50-borsalino-german-market/page-2#entry1153

19432194962_c5ab91b9e4_b.jpg

http://germanaustrianhats.invisionz...c/50-borsalino-german-market/page-2#entry1198

Probably should go back and check if there are others although the old ones like these tend to stand out on their own.

Last edited:
The number of imported European soft felt hats was low due to high tariffs. Countries with large domestic markets (America being the largest) were determined to protect their domestic markets (coming back? :) ). Here is a Senate report from 1921 which includes Borsalino importers (among other brands) Bill & Caldwell.

http://germanaustrianhats.invisionz...ries-us-senate-committee-on-finance-12231921/

The American Hatter (March 1922)

26511193395_4fb7d05df5_o.jpg

26485267116_2af54c63dc_o.jpg

Last edited:
Fruno,

Sideways "Borsalino" on the tag, that particular liner, I agree with those that say early '50s. Gorgeous hat. Wanna mail it?

LOL. This is my first Borsa and it seems I got a good one. Another Lounger already made an offer on it. Very tempting, I tells ya, but I think I'm going to enjoy this one for a while. Getting it for a pittance makes wearing it taste sweeter, anyway. [emoji1]

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Borsalino low ribbon and high crown sold on the international market
jki0wj.jpg

No indication of the shop
azhz0g.jpg

Size is 7 1/2 so a 62 cm. in Europe and 7 3/4 in the US
25q8185.jpg

Qualità Extra Superiore
25zjn6f.jpg

It is market "Light Weight" for it's low weight and thin peachy felt
2zgrmn7.jpg

Corrugated sweatband in front and wind trolley
rjf7s9.jpg

Palladio color, brim at 7 cm and crown bashed at 12,5 cm
n482vk.jpg

Recently cleaned and blocked (as the Italian hats in the forties) in Milan by Sergio Anzani - Cappelleria Melegari

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Borsalino low ribbon and high crown sold on the international market
jki0wj.jpg

No indication of the shop
azhz0g.jpg

Size is 7 1/2 so a 62 cm. in Europe and 7 3/4 in the US
25q8185.jpg

Qualità Extra Superiore
25zjn6f.jpg

It is market "Light Weight" for it's low weight and thin peachy felt
2zgrmn7.jpg

Corrugated sweatband in front and wind trolley
rjf7s9.jpg

Palladio color, brim at 7 cm and crown bashed at 12,5 cm
n482vk.jpg

Recently cleaned and blocked (as the Italian hats in the forties) in Milan by Sergio Anzani - Cappelleria Melegari

superb!!

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Thanks a lot for your likes and kind words about this restored Borsalino
Many of the credit goes to the superior materials used by the "Casa di Alessandria" and the skill of Sergio Anzani capable of restoring life to a hat with a few problems.

Today I introduce another Borsalino to which the restoration at Melegari gave a breath of new life
The hat had several problems in both felt, dirty and badly maintained, that the ribbon detached and badly placed.
121sr6c.jpg

The color of the fur felt is medium-light grey
eu5092.jpg

Black sharkgill ribbon and three stitching lines on the brim
nz56q0.jpg

fefj9z.jpg

The finishing of the felt is now in full light
2wgrrc8.jpg

A curious blue linen for a Borsalino sold on the Italian market
dy9nqf.jpg

Here the paper label with the indication of color and type
30s9jmb.jpg

Size is 6 (or 6 punti) 59 in Eu and 7 3/8 in USA
1pv7nl.jpg

Proportions are: brim at 5.5 cm and crown bashed at 11.5 cm. ribbon at 4 cm.
e035p2.jpg

A very classic hat with more life to live!

Here's something I came across. Some recent pictures of the Borsalino factory accompanied by a short video. Also there is apparently a Borsalino brand store in Brooklyn, NY catering to Jewish community. Anyone been?

Exclusive: Inside Tour of Borsalino
http://www.collive.com/show_news.rtx?id=39905

Borsalino Brand Store in NY
http://www.collive.com/show_news.rtx?id=37010

Thanks! Interesting that they have opened Borsalino Brand Stores that cater to Jewish Othrodox Markets. This will definitely hurt the independent retailers that relied heavily on those markets. I wonder when and where with the other public sector brand stores (NYC, LA, ?) ?

Side Notes: Mayser (Germany) goes back to 1800 and TONAK (Czech Republic, Austria prior to WWI) goes back to 1799 (was Johann Hückel´s Söhne and the main factory factory complex dating back to the early 1860s is still in operation and TONAK still uses the Hückel brand) so Borsalino is not the oldest hat brand on the market. :) Also they are not always using their in house felt. In special cases they are sourcing finished Felt Hoods or Capelines from FEPSA (maybe other sources such as TONAK).

Last edited:

Tonio

A-List Customer
Great information mayserwegener thank you. I was thinking, isn't Guerra Italy also older?

I make it a habit each year to visit Bencraft (or when they carried them JJ's) to pickup a Borsalino. It is upsetting to hear they could be impacted by the retail brand stores.

I remember reading that there is a Borsalino store in Milan that offers some level of hat customization. I'd like to see that available here, but probably a long shot.

Great information mayserwegener thank you. I was thinking, isn't Guerra Italy also older?

I make it a habit each year to visit Bencraft (or when they carried them JJ's) to pickup a Borsalino. It is upsetting to hear they could be impacted by the retail brand stores.

I remember reading that there is a Borsalino store in Milan that offers some level of hat customization. I'd like to see that available here, but probably a long shot.

Guerra was established in 1855 so a couple years before Borsalino.

It will be interesting to see where they place these Borsalino Branded Stores.

I am sure Borsalino customization requires a minimum order. For example TONAK's minimum is 60 hats.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot