Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The BORSALINO BROTHERHOOD

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Thank you Daniele... what are your thoughts on the production period - could it be pre-war? I am unsure.

Alan, my opinion is very similar to yours. The magnificient Borsalino was made after the WWII
Around the very early 50' Cristoforo Colombo 500 years from birth.
Borsalino used Colombo brand, as for many others (Junior, Palazzo, Alessandria, Tanaro and so on), in a very puzzle way as the paper labels (see the "modern" G.B. Borsalino fu Lazzaro I posted some days ago).
I will open some box to see if I found some "Nadirsca" type, even if I suspect that there are some slightly differences in labeling the hats from EU and the rest of the world, USA above all.

ptjoe

Familiar Face
I'm looking to buy the Borsalino Como in taupe. Does anyone have a Borsalino in this shade and is it a versatile color?
I have a Borsalino Classic in dark gray and was going to get the Como in brown , but became curious about the taupe color.
Before I buy I want to get a little more info.Thanks.

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
That Columbo is a very nice hat .
The Como in taupe (monlov) is a very neutral color that goes with just about everything. We do stock the hat in that color.

eli104

New in Town
Hi all, a question if I may about stretching and reshaping a Straw Borsalino! I just picked up a vintage straw Borsalino and need some help. It arrived with the brim turned up, and its also a bit tight. Size tags say both 60 and 7 ⅜ (I know that doesn't really make sense). I'm a good 7 ½, so I need to carefully stretch it, but would love to get the brim to hold a shape too. Any ideas or advice would be great (yes, I do have a steamer).
7c3f2b85e04fd6f342e2f3d8f112efae.jpg
392201c287cdf7f2e832ecc9649ccc24.jpg
4b60e39b6f60a1acd017b37f13a96ffc.jpg
cd7ccc46dec93e2566f086046d57d6c9.jpg
44bf441a0b9250511ac7d3d9df86d6c2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a Dobbs Milan that was just a bit tight and I was able to ease it out with a some steam and gentle stretch with a hat jack. It was a large 7 1/4 and I am a 7 3/8 so it just needed some easing. Did not affect the brim at all.

eli104

New in Town
I have a Dobbs Milan that was just a bit tight and I was able to ease it out with a some steam and gentle stretch with a hat jack. It was a large 7 1/4 and I am a 7 3/8 so it just needed some easing. Did not affect the brim at all.
Right... I figured I could stretch with steam... but any ideas to get the shape of the brim to hold? It wants to go back to a downturn all around, when I want to have the back up and front down (and then there's a small crease in the brim as well). Good thing is was only $30.

The Milan I have had a bit of a kink in the brim as well. I used steam and it worked. It requires patience. I have a wooden hat flange that really helped as I had something firm to place hat on that resembled the curve I wanted to restore. It took quite a few applications of the steam and coaxing it into place with my fingers. I did not iron it just steam and manipulation.

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
The Borsalino company that we all new and dealt with is sadly no more. With the new ownership , the situation is very different now . Instead of being known as a hat company , the new owners are treating it as a fashion company that produces hats. Everything is being streamlined .
There will be more emphasis on developing the styles more for the boutique market instead of the hat stores.
Expext to see major changes here as of January 1st.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
The Borsalino company that we all new and dealt with is sadly no more. With the new ownership , the situation is very different now . Instead of being known as a hat company , the new owners are treating it as a fashion company that produces hats. Everything is being streamlined .
There will be more emphasis on developing the styles more for the boutique market instead of the hat stores.
Robert was telling me about this when I was in the shop some months back ... very unfortunate
I was lucky enough to buy two Alessandria from your stock made when they were still a hat company :)

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up

Robert, this is a bitter new. Mi dispiace moltissimo
It was in the air, but as always, the worst became reality suddendly
I saw some interviews with Philippe Camperio (new owner) and I was dreary.
I have no idea who give him suggestions about the market, but it seems to me a complete unprovided.
In the last dark period Mr. Moccia seems made a good work to keep the Borsalino boat in floatage, but I'm only a outsider and for sure you know facts more better then me.
It seems to me a announced suicide.
Do you still continue your deal with Italians producers?

eli104

New in Town
The Milan I have had a bit of a kink in the brim as well. I used steam and it worked. It requires patience. I have a wooden hat flange that really helped as I had something firm to place hat on that resembled the curve I wanted to restore. It took quite a few applications of the steam and coaxing it into place with my fingers. I did not iron it just steam and manipulation.
What do you mean about "resemble the curve"? I have a Hat Jack I can use to stretch it out, but I don't have a mold of any sort to shape the brim. I'd have to get something like PVC or flat wood maybe to hold it up and down in the right places. No?

Right... I figured I could stretch with steam... but any ideas to get the shape of the brim to hold? It wants to go back to a downturn all around, when I want to have the back up and front down (and then there's a small crease in the brim as well). Good thing is was only $30.

Hair spray.

With some steam + hand shaping in should return close to the original form. It's better if you access to hat steamer. You just have to make sure not to damage the hat (straw, sweatband, ribbon).

Steven, Thanks for the update. I had a bad feeling this was coming. Definitely a sad situation.

What do you mean about "resemble the curve"? I have a Hat Jack I can use to stretch it out, but I don't have a mold of any sort to shape the brim. I'd have to get something like PVC or flat wood maybe to hold it up and down in the right places. No?
Ideally yes, if you could find something firm that you can use but hands and fingers can work to work it back to the shape you want.

bond

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That's a Beauty Alan. That Navy is stunning and Borsalino had the nicest deepest blue colors around.
Here is a xx from the late 40s era via Venice Italy and the G Colpo store there. I love this felt most of all borsalinos I've owned but sadly never had one in my size. This one is a punti 5 1/2 and had a pleated puggare on it which was not correct. These hats typically came with a fur felt narrow band in lieu of a ribbon , at least the ones I have had did .
I put a period correct vintage grosgrain on called Muffalatto which is a Olive grey / brown color and matches hat perfectly.
View attachment 60797 View attachment 60798 View attachment 60799

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner