Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The BORSALINO BROTHERHOOD

Here's one I want to share with you for a number of reasons. First of all because it is a great colour. I don't have that many blue hats and this one has been away from the collection for a while. The reason for that is that it is in fact a women's hat. It has a cloth sweatband and the bow was on right hand side. I sent the hat to Fleur de Huu of Penumbra Hats in Holland to fit it with a new ribbon and bow treatment and she came through with this wonderful two-tone bow arrangement you see below. I have a few other hats she renovated for me (I'll be posting these soon) and I think her work is top notch. Highly recommended. Another reason is that this hat is wonderfully lightweight, coming in at only 80 grams. Borsalino in blue, size 56 with raw edge brim at 6,5 cm and crown at 10 at the pinch. Unlined and with cloth sweatband. Even if it is a modern Borsalino (1994) it's still a top-quality hat.

View attachment 80476 View attachment 80477 View attachment 80478 View attachment 80479 View attachment 80480 View attachment 80481 View attachment 80482 View attachment 80483 View attachment 80484
I love the ribbon work on this.

Samuel

Practically Family
My new Borsalino Alessandria in Charcoal Grey

IMG_5687.JPG IMG_5688.JPG IMG_5689.JPG IMG_5690.JPG View attachment 81035

Last edited:

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up

Samuel

Practically Family
Samuel.jpg

Yea,
I love the way the hat feels. I bought it vintage and it was crushed and the ribbon was
messed up. I put some TLC into it and it has evolved into a favorite hat. I was able to
steam it back into shape. I love the rich dark color of the
felt because it goes with just about everything.

Last edited:

Windsock8e

A-List Customer
Alessandria is where they were made ... most all Borsalino hats say that somewhere on the hat ... but what has become known as the "Alessandria" is a thin ribbon hat reminiscent of a Stratoliner or Open Road

here is one of mine
10ba3a281f812e4fb55f58ec50846d08.jpg

I have been wondering if the thin ribbon, wider brim Borsalino's were purely for the US market or if they also existed in Europe - I have not seen any. Perhaps @steur and @Daniele Tanto (or anyone else) knows from their experience/research.

I know that yours Moon, is vintage, and that Bencraft has a modern thin ribbon, but have not seen an equivalent on the Borsalino website in Europe.

It is possible, I guess, that there is just a ribbon change between an existing Euro model to US, but the closest I could find on the Borsalino website was double the price of the Bencraft version.

Just curious, any info welcome.

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
but what has become known as the "Alessandria" is a thin ribbon hat reminiscent of a Stratoliner or Open Road
What Anthony said is the right answer.

I have been wondering if the thin ribbon, wider brim Borsalino's were purely for the US market or if they also existed in Europe - I have not seen any. Perhaps @steur and @Daniele Tanto (or anyone else) knows from their experience/research.
No, in Italy the thin ribbon Borsalino you can find is the "Icaro" that is different from the "Alessandria" for less brims, more rounded crown. The felt is very thin on the Icaro and the shape is less massive. Alessandria is a model for the US market
Take note that here the "Alessandria" model is stated as a crossover between a cowboy and country hat.
It is not the synonym of elegance, just to understand us, but de gustibus non est disputandum

Windsock8e

A-List Customer
What Anthony said is the right answer.

No, in Italy the thin ribbon Borsalino you can find is the "Icaro" that is different from the "Alessandria" for less brims, more rounded crown. The felt is very thin on the Icaro and the shape is less massive. Alessandria is a model for the US market
Take note that here the "Alessandria" model is stated as a crossover between a cowboy and country hat.
It is not the synonym of elegance, just to understand us, but de gustibus non est disputandum

Grazie Mille, Thank you, that perfectly answers my question and whilst my Latin is quite rusty (I tend to only know and not use some legal terms), I fully agree with what you say!

I will need to be on the lookout for a vintage one then (unless someone is willing to part with a 7-1/8 vintage!) or decide between the modern US Alessandria from Bencraft or go custom for a similar price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Windsock8e

A-List Customer
I mean the American style thin ribbon. I have a 1960's Borsalino and a linea Augusta sub. Always interested in Borsa's of course though!

Windsock8e

A-List Customer
Thanks, will keep an eye out. Main thing which is now clarified is that I have less chance of finding one in that style in Europe than in America (although many other fine Borsalino styles in Europe).

Last edited:

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, will keep an eye out. Main thing which is now clarified is that I have less chance of finding one in that style in Europe than in America (although many other fine Borsalino styles in Europe).

I may actually have a light grey 1/8 ... I'll have to take a look to see if I have sold it or not

tough to keep track sometimes

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner