Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The BORSALINO BROTHERHOOD

Part 2

borsalino misto grigio_07.jpg
borsalino misto grigio_08.jpg
borsalino misto grigio_09.jpg
borsalino misto grigio_10.jpg
borsalino misto grigio_11.jpg
borsalino misto grigio_12.jpg

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
The second one from the hat-exchange. Borsalino Angora Gorascu in the colour Misto Grigio (hard to tell from the label). Size 7 1/4 or 58. Brim at 7 cm and crown 11cm at the pinch. Felted edge (feltrato for the Italian hats) and a longhair heather finish that is to die for. Made for the American market. Somewhere along the road it has lost its original liner though. My guess is 1930's (I don't think they did felted edges anymore after the war). This was an expensive hat: there's a price tag of $ 20 on it. Thanks go to Daniele for finding this one.

View attachment 94271 View attachment 94272 View attachment 94273 View attachment 94274 View attachment 94275 View attachment 94276
has an OPS tag which puts it in the early 50s

51-53 would be the window

it stands for Office of Price Stabilization

Office of Price Stabilization also known as the Price Stabilization Board, was the federal agency whose task was to control prices during the Korean War.

these prices were in place from '51 to '53
Anthony, thanks for clearing that up. Never knew that. So later than I thought. In retrospect it fits better with the date of the other one.

There were a few borsalinos in the Holland-Italy hat-exchange. Thanks go out to Daniele. This is the first one. Posted this in other threads as well (new hats and pre 40 dress hats). More to come (promise).
Borsalino in the colour Misto lapis, size 56. Grey colour with blue tones. It's a heather felt of incredible quality. Curled brim at 5cm and crown at 11 cm in front. Not a homburg and not a lords hat either, but a dress hat with curled brim. It actually works as a fedora as well but it does not like its brim snapped down. I'm thinking late 1930's. Exceptional hat.

View attachment 94234 View attachment 94235 View attachment 94236 View attachment 94237 View attachment 94238 View attachment 94239 View attachment 94240 View attachment 94241 View attachment 94242 View attachment 94243
Gave this one some love on the other thread. More love here. I agree about it being an odd bird. I think of a Lord's hat being an under dressed homburg, this beauty is just plain wonderful.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
The second one from the hat-exchange. Borsalino Angora Gorascu in the colour Misto Grigio (hard to tell from the label). Size 7 1/4 or 58. Brim at 7 cm and crown 11cm at the pinch. Felted edge (feltrato for the Italian hats) and a longhair heather finish that is to die for. Made for the American market. Somewhere along the road it has lost its original liner though. My guess is 1930's (I don't think they did felted edges anymore after the war). This was an expensive hat: there's a price tag of $ 20 on it. Thanks go to Daniele for finding this one.

View attachment 94271 View attachment 94272 View attachment 94273 View attachment 94274 View attachment 94275 [

View attachment 94271 View attachment 94272 View attachment 94273 View attachment 94274 View attachment 94275 View attachment 94276

Perfection! Color and contrast with stunning texture! Kudos⭐

Gave this one some love on the other thread. More love here. I agree about it being an odd bird. I think of a Lord's hat being an under dressed homburg, this beauty is just plain wonderful.
Mike, thanks. I got it to fit me with a little stretch and it does feel a bit odd wearing it but the feel of the felt is really something else.

Something we don't see too often in this thread. Borsalino melone. This one came with a battersby hat box I was really after and it is far too small (even for me). Size 3 1/2 (or 53). Brim is 5cm and the crown is 11 cm high. This has got to be the best felt on a bowler I have encountered so far (and I have some pretty good bowlers). The model is called "stregone" (which means something like wizard). Judging by the label (with written size) and size-tag this is fairly old. Thirties is my guess (partly based on the seller's info). Another thing of note is that there is an addition to the Borsalino logo: underneath the antica casa fondata nel 1857 there is a translation in Dutch of the "fondata nel 1857" part. Never saw that on a borsalino before.

borsalino stregone_8.jpg
borsalino stregone_2.jpg
borsalino stregone_1.jpg
borsalino stregone_3.jpg
borsalino stregone_4.jpg
borsalino stregone_5.jpg
borsalino stregone_6.jpg
borsalino stregone_7.jpg

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Something we don't see too often in this thread. Borsalino melone. This one came with a battersby hat box I was really after and it is far too small (even for me). Size 3 1/2 (or 53). Brim is 5cm and the crown is 11 cm high. This has got to be the best felt on a bowler I have encountered so far (and I have some pretty good bowlers). The model is called "stregone" (which means something like wizard). Judging by the label (with written size) and size-tag this is fairly old. Thirties is my guess (partly based on the seller's info). Another thing of note is that there is an addition to the Borsalino logo: underneath the antica casa fondata nel 1857 there is a translation in Dutch of the "fondata nel 1857" part. Never saw that on a borsalino before.

View attachment 95073 View attachment 95074 View attachment 95075 View attachment 95076 View attachment 95077 View attachment 95078 View attachment 95079 View attachment 95080
Sir, that is a way nice hat!! I don’t generally go for bowlers but the proportions, the felt sheen, the frayed bow ribbon, the scrumptious sweat leather and ribbon bow treatment, etc etc! That hat has it all and looks like it was made yesterday! Wow!! Think i’ll have to start a bowler brigade! Thanks. Be well. Bowen. WOW!

Sir, that is a way nice hat!! I don’t generally go for bowlers but the proportions, the felt sheen, the frayed bow ribbon, the scrumptious sweat leather and ribbon bow treatment, etc etc! That hat has it all and looks like it was made yesterday! Wow!! Think i’ll have to start a bowler brigade! Thanks. Be well. Bowen. WOW!
Bowen, thanks. There's a lot to be enjoyed in the bowler and derby thread. If you find a nice vintage bowler that fits you: buy it, because nobody makes them like that anymore.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Bowen, thanks. There's a lot to be enjoyed in the bowler and derby thread. If you find a nice vintage bowler that fits you: buy it, because nobody makes them like that anymore.
Steur: Arrgggghh!! I’ve “quit” buying hats at least 10 times recently, or was it 100? Ha. But i can NOT argue with the thruth of your point. There used to be a saying here in the US..”When E.F. Hutton speaks....people listen”. So, begat the brigade!! Guess i’ll quit later. Be well. Bowen PS: i keep coming back to this hat. WOW!️‍♀️

Before this thread sinks too low. Here's a nice recent find. Borsalino "Club" Gran Lusso in the colour Mirtillo (so a dark blue). Size 58, longhair finish, overwelt edge at 5cm and crown at about 10cm in front. Seems to never have been worn. The model looks very similar to a Borsalino Ardilla in brown I have. The brim is on the short side for my taste, but this is a superb hat. Love the colours (both of the hat and the liner). Pity it doesn't fit me. Late fifties to mid-sixties based on the label.

borsalino gran lusso mirtillo_02.jpg
borsalino gran lusso mirtillo_01.jpg
borsalino gran lusso mirtillo_03.jpg
borsalino gran lusso mirtillo_04.jpg
borsalino gran lusso mirtillo_05.jpg
borsalino gran lusso mirtillo_06.jpg
borsalino gran lusso mirtillo_08.jpg
borsalino gran lusso mirtillo_12.jpg
borsalino gran lusso mirtillo_10.jpg
borsalino gran lusso mirtillo_11.jpg

Here's another one I found recently. Borsalino Suprema quality fedora in Uranio colour (grey). Size 60 (6 1/2 French) with a raw edge brim at 5cm and crown 11 cm at the pinch. Unlined with a crown patch that is has an edge binding around it. It came from a well known shop in The Hague. G. Lörtzer was around since 1876 and had a shop interior that was unchanged since 1910. When the shop closed down in 1987 the building and the shops' interior was listed, so the new owner could not change it. Mid-seventies (if the label-theory holds true for this one: 1976).
More in the next posting.

borsalino uranio 6 half_02.jpg
borsalino uranio 6 half_01.jpg
borsalino uranio 6 half_03.jpg
borsalino uranio 6 half_04.jpg
borsalino uranio 6 half_08.jpg
borsalino uranio 6 half_09.jpg
borsalino uranio 6 half_06.jpg

Before this thread sinks too low. Here's a nice recent find. Borsalino "Club" Gran Lusso in the colour Mirtillo (so a dark blue). Size 58, longhair finish, overwelt edge at 5cm and crown at about 10cm in front. Seems to never have been worn. The model looks very similar to a Borsalino Ardilla in brown I have. The brim is on the short side for my taste, but this is a superb hat. Love the colours (both of the hat and the liner). Pity it doesn't fit me. Late fifties to mid-sixties based on the label.

View attachment 96056 View attachment 96057 View attachment 96058 View attachment 96059 View attachment 96060 View attachment 96061 View attachment 96062 View attachment 96063 View attachment 96064 View attachment 96065
Perfect hat to wear to the club for a day of enjoyment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails