Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The BORSALINO BROTHERHOOD

Garrett

My Mail is Forwarded Here
IMG_2727.jpg

IMG_2730.jpg

IMG_2732.jpg

billysmom

One Too Many
Ahhhhhh. Relief. Seriously fine collection of Borsalinos. Standing Ovation.

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Please feel free to send them to Texas.

Sue

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Garrett said:
Ok ok, I'll stop :D

:( Thanks a lot Garrett...I just got a minty Borsalino Homburg in the mail today, and immediately stomped it in the ground and tossed it in the trash.

... wait for it ....................... wait for it .............................I made ...... homburger out of it

Dreispitz

One Too Many
billysmom said:
Here's my recently-acquired green Borsalino. Looks familiar - undoubtedly listed on eBay by one of the FL bretheren ....

GreenBorsahat.jpg

IMG00310-20090905-0948.jpg

IMG00311-20090905-0948.jpg

IMG00312-20090905-0949.jpg

greenborsa.jpg

Extremely soft, light, pliable felt. It will be a joy to wear this fall!

Sue

Suits you well! Very nice one, that should be quite vintage! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
billysmom said:
ScottF -

Was it from this shop?

TB4.jpg

The one I received was unbelievably soft yet substantial. Wonderful hat! If yours is half as nice it should become one of your favorites.

Sue

Mine arrived yesterday - near mint with a sweatband that looked like it had been put in the hat yesterday. Too tight, though - I've been finding that many of the 7 1/4 Borsos are more like 7 1/8's, but maybe it's just an odd coincidence.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Ok so long ago I asked what is the quintessential fedora,..

....and they all said, "Borsalino". So the thought of finding one came to my mind,..briefly! Good luck finding a 60 or 70 year old hat of any kind in my huge size 7-5/8!
But just the other day, I stumbled upon this wonderful example in almost pristine condition! Unbelievable,..the less ya look for something,..the easier it is to find.
So does this get me a seat in the meeting hall or what?? :)
Borsalino.jpg
[/IMG]

billysmom

One Too Many
Hairy Borsalino

This arrived today from eBay. Crease is off-center, so I'm warming up the steamer.

Hborso1.jpg

Made for US market, black sweat with "Original House"

Hborsoband.jpg

Liner has yellow oilskin:

Hborsoliner.jpg

Paper tag inside sweat:

Hborsopapertag.jpg

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Help dating my hat...

I bought this Borsalino from a friend who was selling some of the clothes of his dead great and grandparents. I need help dating it.
The hat is my first fuzzy one, not too much but definitely fuzzier than any other I own. The felt is dense yet not stiff at all. The liner, according to my friend, is not satin but silk. I'm not positive about this detail (got to ask wife when she comes back) but it feels way different from any other liner in the rest of my Borsalinos. It is also sewn, not glued. I couldn't find any tag under it but there is a spot showing a small rectangular discoloration where, I assume, it might have been placed at some point. No size tag either, but it fits me only slightly tight. I'm a 7 1/8. A bit of steam and the hat jack will do the job, I think.
The leather sweat band is in great shape (softest leather I've ever felt in a sweat band!), except for the part under the little white bow which seems to be split (I'm thinking I might be able to stitch it back.) The brim is a little over 2 1/2 inches and has some interesting stitching along the outside edge.
I find it interesting it has stamped what it is made of. The name of it is "continental"
Here are the shots, after I spent a lot of time brushing off a mountain of dust. Hope you can help.

continental1.jpg

continental6.jpg

continental2.jpg

continental7.jpg

continental5.jpg

continental4.jpg

continental3.jpg

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Brown Unlined Borso

No idea on age - I bought this from a guy in France. Something about that Montmartre sweat stamp that I couldn't resist. The felt is the nicest of any Borsalino I've owned. It's also my favorite hat that I rarely wear:

BorsFrenchUnB.jpg

BorsFrenchlabels.jpg

BorsFrenchBottom.jpg

Dreispitz

One Too Many
Aureliano said:
I bought this Borsalino from a friend who was selling some of the clothes of his dead great and grandparents. I need help dating it.
The hat is my first fuzzy one, not too much but definitely fuzzier than any other I own. The felt is dense yet not stiff at all. The liner, according to my friend, is not satin but silk. I'm not positive about this detail (got to ask wife when she comes back) but it feels way different from any other liner in the rest of my Borsalinos. It is also sewn, not glued. I couldn't find any tag under it but there is a spot showing a small rectangular discoloration where, I assume, it might have been placed at some point. No size tag either, but it fits me only slightly tight. I'm a 7 1/8. A bit of steam and the hat jack will do the job, I think.
The leather sweat band is in great shape (softest leather I've ever felt in a sweat band!), except for the part under the little white bow which seems to be split (I'm thinking I might be able to stitch it back.) The brim is a little over 2 1/2 inches and has some interesting stitching along the outside edge.
I find it interesting it has stamped what it is made of. The name of it is "continental"
Here are the shots, after I spent a lot of time brushing off a mountain of dust. Hope you can help.

continental1.jpg

continental6.jpg

continental2.jpg

continental7.jpg

continental5.jpg

continental4.jpg

continental3.jpg

Looks rather recent to me. I´d say, sometime nineties. The sweatband is not as broad, as the pre 1986 ones.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL