Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The BORSALINO BROTHERHOOD

Thanks guys! No hurries, no worries. Part of savoring a favorite hat is the search. :)

I did find this company, it is in Venezuela. Not a good idea to order from Venezuela right now I believe.
http://www.borsalino.com.ve/?fbclid=IwAR0mB9jrCDjDOV5U8KqEhv2hMfg8T_tg4RPRpwOFUOjK6lv528iLYK-qamQ
Interesting! I wonder if they are made under license? I see some Tonak - Hückel Hats listed. Tonak Hückel "Guama Somberero" go back a while.

http://germanaustrianhats.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/6-johann-hückel´s-söhne-hückel-hutfabrik-weilheim/page-5#entry652

Update: I found the following on their site (translated).

"The hat factory Otto Schirmer, was born in the center of Valencia in 1924. From 1936, "La Casa del Sombrero", develops the sale and distribution of the most recognized brands: Borsalino, Huckel and the famous "Peloguama". At present, and after more than 80 years, the house of the hat produces, under registered license, the Borsalino hats, pride of the national industry."

It's possible they have the Hückel trademark for Venezuela or have some deal with Tonak.

Last edited:

DRB

One Too Many
A Licensed dealer in Venezuela. It makes me wonder if there are more countries out there with a license.

Interesting! I wonder if they are made under license? I see some Tonak - Hückel Hats listed. Tonak Hückel "Guama Somberero" go back a while.

http://germanaustrianhats.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/6-johann-hückel´s-söhne-hückel-hutfabrik-weilheim/page-5#entry652

Update: I found the following on their site (translated).

"The hat factory Otto Schirmer, was born in the center of Valencia in 1924. From 1936, "La Casa del Sombrero", develops the sale and distribution of the most recognized brands: Borsalino, Huckel and the famous "Peloguama". At present, and after more than 80 years, the house of the hat produces, under registered license, the Borsalino hats, pride of the national industry."

It's possible they have the Hückel trademark for Venezuela or have some deal with Tonak.

I just LOVE the history you add here!!!!!;)

A Licensed dealer in Venezuela. It makes me wonder if there are more countries out there with a license.
Dennis, I know J. Hückel´s Söhne (JHS) go way back regarding Venezuela (JHS became Tonak after WWII). Here is a photo from the early 1900s of JHS packing probably semi finished hats to C.D. Bolivar, Venezuela.

Click on Photo Enlarge

5627892026_5babebcefe_b.jpg

Dennis, I know J. Hückel´s Söhne (JHS) go way back regarding Venezuela (JHS became Tonak after WWII). Here is a photo from the early 1900s of JHS packing probably semi finished hats to C.D. Bolivar, Venezuela.

Click on Photo Enlarge

5627892026_5babebcefe_b.jpg
DOC....is this how you have been packing YOUR hat hauls lately?!?!?!?!:eek::rolleyes:;)

Il Cappello

New in Town
I have never posted, but I have read every post on every page of this thread (it took quite a while, and was disappointed many of the photos are missing from the early pages). I am as hooked as you guys are.

I have a new - probably 2015 - Bellini, but that tag was stuck on top of another tag that said Bellagio. Any way to tell the difference?

I am also very interested in grabbing a vintage hat - I fear I'm becoming an addict. I have my eye on a hat from the "other" Borsalino - FU Lazzaro. I don't recall much discussion of Lazzaro, are they comparable in quality? Is there any way to guess the age of a Lazzaro? Thanks in advance for any info, and I'll probably be joining you at the Hataholics Anonymous meetings before too long...

Wow, those are really amazing fedoras. Borsalino felt. I am sure they are soft. You are one lucky guy. Knowledge is power. Now I know what names to search for. Thanks!
Gorgeous!!
Would love to see the insides!
B
Thanks, guys. Here's a link to the original posting of these:
https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/post-new-hats-here.28145/page-1858#post-2421648
Can't find the Ghiaccio for some reason, but here it is again (the brotherhood wil forgive me).
borsalino fanosca_01.jpg
borsalino fanosca_02.jpg
borsalino fanosca_03.jpg
borsalino fanosca_05.jpg
borsalino fanosca_09.jpg
borsalino fanosca_12.jpg

I have never posted, but I have read every post on every page of this thread (it took quite a while, and was disappointed many of the photos are missing from the early pages). I am as hooked as you guys are.

I have a new - probably 2015 - Bellini, but that tag was stuck on top of another tag that said Bellagio. Any way to tell the difference?

I am also very interested in grabbing a vintage hat - I fear I'm becoming an addict. I have my eye on a hat from the "other" Borsalino - FU Lazzaro. I don't recall much discussion of Lazzaro, are they comparable in quality? Is there any way to guess the age of a Lazzaro? Thanks in advance for any info, and I'll probably be joining you at the Hataholics Anonymous meetings before too long...
First of all: welcome to the lounge. You'll only become more hooked here, but it's a fairly innocent addiction. Borsalino fu Lazzaro has its own thread, which is why you won't find much information about them in the Borsalino Brotherhood thread.
Here's a link to that thread: https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/g-b-borsalino-fu-lazzaro-c-1936.53129/page-1
The brand was bought up by the big Borsalino in 1936 and disappeared as a brand until the 1950's when Borsalino decided to bring the brand back on the market. Real pre-1936 Fu lazzaro hats are quite rare, the newer ones are a bit more common. Both are excellent quality hats; they are Borsalino hats after all.
Can't help you on the Bellini vs Bellagio question I'm afraid. Maybe someone else from the brotherhood will chime in on that one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner