Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The BORSALINO BROTHERHOOD

Spaking of blue Borsalinos. Here's one.
Borsalino Club Gran Lusso in Mirtillo colour. Overwelt brim at 5cm and the crown at 11cm at the center dent. Longhair finish that is to die for.

borsalino club mirtillo56_01.jpg
borsalino club mirtillo56_02.jpg
borsalino club mirtillo56_04.jpg
borsalino club mirtillo56_05.jpg
borsalino club mirtillo56_06.jpg
borsalino club mirtillo56_08.jpg
borsalino club mirtillo56_09.jpg
borsalino club mirtillo56_11.jpg
borsalino club mirtillo56_13.jpg
borsalino club mirtillo56_15.jpg

The previous owener must have liked the model, because he had another one.
Borsalino Club Gran Lusso in bismuto colour. Size 56, with the overwelt brim at 5cm and the crown 11cm at the center dent. Equally fantastic felt as the mirtillo one. This one weighs 98 grams, while it's companion was slightly heavier at 105 grams.

borsalino club bismut_01.jpg
borsalino club bismut_02.jpg
borsalino club bismut_03.jpg
borsalino club bismut_04.jpg
borsalino club bismut_05.jpg
borsalino club bismut_06.jpg
borsalino club bismut_08.jpg
borsalino club bismut_09.jpg
borsalino club bismut_11.jpg
borsalino club bismut_14.jpg

Hi!

Not sure if this is the right place since it's not a fedora, but I recently bought this old hat by Borsalino and I was hoping to get some information (year it was made for example)
There's no paper in the inside of the sweatband, it only says: 6.

Thanks for any and all info!

http://imgur.com/a/R8N0Mg5
Welcome to the fedora lounge, Laura. We like most kinds of hats: fedoras, homburgs, top hats, ascots, caps, berets and what not. There is a strong preference for vintage and if you read through the threads at your leisure you'll understand why.
So you got that Borsalino Ascot; well done! Morning dress hat for formal occasions, usually found with a contrasting (black) ribbon on the crown, but this style is common as well. But you probably know all that.
Borsalino stopped at a certain point making these, because there was not a big enough market for them anymore. Uncertain is when that was exactly. Without a label underneath the sweatband it's difficult to say when this one was made, but there are clues. A black sweatband, combined with the lining of the hat points towards the late seventies or early eighties for this one.
Mine is about the same (but with contrasting ribbon) and dates from 1979:

borsalino ascot_06.jpg
borsalino ascot_07.jpg
borsalino ascot_08.jpg
borsalino ascot_09.jpg

Last edited:

LauraHey

New in Town
Welcome to the fedora lounge, Laura. We like most kinds of hats: fedoras, homburgs, top hats, ascots, caps, berets and what not. There is a strong preference for vintage and if you read through the threads at your leisure you'll uderstand why.
So you got that Borsalino Ascot; well done! Morning dress hat for formal occasions, usually found with a contrasting (black) ribbon on the crown, but this style is common as well. But you probably now all that.
Borsalino stopped at a certain point making these, because there was not a big enough market for them anymore. Uncertain is when that was exactly. Without a label underneath the sweatband it's difficult to say when this one was made, but there are clues. A black sweatband, combined with the lining of the hat points towards the late seventies or early eighties for this one.

View attachment 315624 View attachment 315625 View attachment 315626 View attachment 315627

Hi!
Thank you so much for the info!
I really love quality vintage fun stuff, and this one is soooo cute.
It's currently living on a vintage 70's mannequin head on my vintage 60's sideboard, so I think that fits quite well.
Thanks again, I really appreciate you taking the time!

DaveProc

I'll Lock Up
Hi!
Thank you so much for the info!
I really love quality vintage fun stuff, and this one is soooo cute.
It's currently living on a vintage 70's mannequin head on my vintage 60's sideboard, so I think that fits quite well.
Thanks again, I really appreciate you taking the time!
Welcome to the Lounge Laura! Stick around, there's always something interesting going on around the Lounge!

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
A unique hat even if it is modern.

Welcome to the fedora lounge, Laura. We like most kinds of hats: fedoras, homburgs, top hats, ascots, caps, berets and what not. There is a strong preference for vintage and if you read through the threads at your leisure you'll understand why.
So you got that Borsalino Ascot; well done! Morning dress hat for formal occasions, usually found with a contrasting (black) ribbon on the crown, but this style is common as well. But you probably know all that.

View attachment 315624 View attachment 315625 View attachment 315626 View attachment 315627

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Ossola 1 Borsa.JPG

To feed the mysteries and the connections that took place between Giuseppe Borsalino and the cousin G.B. Borsalino Fu Lazzaro here is a hat that certainly is not from the 1930s, but which uses a paper label from those years.
Ossola 2 Borsa.JPG

Let's say it is a Borsalino halfway between the "Antica Casa" and the rebels.
Ossola 4 Borsa.JPG

Its main peculiarity is the felt that is finished in heather with white tufts and some other color, indistinguishable to the eye, on a dark anthracite gray base.
Ossola 6 Borsa.JPG

The felt is soft, but not too soft and the ribbon is dark gray.
Borsalino Qualità Superiore with G.B. Borsalino fu Lazzaro trade mark "copied" from an ancient original.
Ossola interno totale.JPG

The color of the felt is "Ossola" and no other indication, other than size 6 or 59 centimeters, is shown on the paper label.
Ossola Ossola.jpg
The measurements are as follows: the over double stitched brims are 5.5 cm. the ribbon is 4cm. and the open crown is 13.5cm.
Ossola 3 Borsa.JPG

Sold in Turin in Italy is another of the strange Borsalino combinations between ancient and relatively new, the hat seems to be from the 60s, which feed the confused mystery of the Borsalino split that began in the early twentieth century and ended thirty-five years later.

View attachment 316686
To feed the mysteries and the connections that took place between Giuseppe Borsalino and the cousin G.B. Borsalino Fu Lazzaro here is a hat that certainly is not from the 1930s, but which uses a paper label from those years.
View attachment 316688
View attachment 316689
Its main peculiarity is the felt that is finished in heather with white tufts and some other color, indistinguishable to the eye, on a dark anthracite gray base.
View attachment 316690
Borsalino Qualità Superiore with G.B. Borsalino fu Lazzaro trade mark "copied" from an ancient original.
View attachment 316692
The color of the felt is "Ossola" and no other indication, other than size 6 or 59 centimeters, is shown on the paper label.
View attachment 316693
The measurements are as follows: the over double stitched brims are 5.5 cm. the ribbon is 4cm. and the open crown is 13.5cm.
View attachment 316696
Sold in Turin in Italy is another of the strange Borsalino combinations between ancient and relatively new, the hat seems to be from the 60s, which feed the confused mystery of the Borsalino split that began in the early twentieth century and ended thirty-five years later.
Daniele, I really like the Felt finish and the mix of light and dark. Always interesting to see these later trademarked Borsalino fu Lazzaro.

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Daniele, I really like the Felt finish and the mix of light and dark. Always interesting to see these later trademarked Borsalino fu Lazzaro.
Grazie Steve.
Nothing to add to your latest find except: wonder. The Borsalinos sold in pre-war Eastern Europe all have the same setting in components and finishes, yours are the confirmation. Magnificent velours, of whatever brand they are. Regarding this Borsalino: it is the denial of the thesis that Giuseppe Borsalino and heirs have never used the trademark of the "rebel cousins" in Italy.;) The felt is very nice and very reminiscent of a beautiful Huckel hat (too wide for me) that will soon leave for Japan, they are 90% similar, except the German has more shellacs.

Grazie Steve.
Nothing to add to your latest find except: wonder. The Borsalinos sold in pre-war Eastern Europe all have the same setting in components and finishes, yours are the confirmation. Magnificent velours, of whatever brand they are. Regarding this Borsalino: it is the denial of the thesis that Giuseppe Borsalino and heirs have never used the trademark of the "rebel cousins" in Italy.;) The felt is very nice and very reminiscent of a beautiful Huckel hat (too wide for me) that will soon leave for Japan, they are 90% similar, except the German has more shellacs.
Daniele, Thank you! I really like the Specialty finishes. :) Yes confirmation of Giuseppe Borsalino using the G.B. Borsalino Fu Lazzaro trademark in Italy.

View attachment 316686
View attachment 316688
View attachment 316689
View attachment 316690
View attachment 316692
View attachment 316693
View attachment 316696
Very cool and interesting find, Daniele. The felt reminds me of the "melée" felts that Hückel Welheim made at some point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21