Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The BORSALINO BROTHERHOOD

Another Borsalino Misto Ionio. This one is a camper style, marked 58 but doesn't feel so. Marine blue ribbon. View attachment 335205 View attachment 335206 View attachment 335207 View attachment 335208 View attachment 335209
View attachment 335211
All 3 "Ionio" I can recall (that's my second) are finished with long hairs. Daniele or Stefan might know if Ionio with the other misto finish exist.
Maybe, but I've only seen three (two of which belong to you) and they were all felts like this. Nice find and it seems to be in excellent condition.

Just Daniel

One Too Many
Brent, how do you like the XXXXX? Is it worth searching one out? Does it make the cut for the permanent collection?

Great, following Alan again!

Marque Grande Luxe in a mauve/dusty rose. 5 1/2” open crown and a 2 1/4” raw edge brim. Love the felt!

View attachment 333768 View attachment 333769 View attachment 333770 View attachment 333771 View attachment 333772 View attachment 333773 View attachment 333774 View attachment 333775 View attachment 333776

And yes, it is a 7 punti or 61cm! Thank you @Daniele Tanto

Brent, how do you like the XXXXX? Is it worth searching one out? Does it make the cut for the permanent collection?

The felt is wonderful if you like this type of finish. It’s as good as any I’ve personally handled and it’s definitely a keeper. I do wish the dimensions of the hat were all-around larger, but it’s rare you get everything in life.

The felt is wonderful if you like this type of finish. It’s as good as any I’ve personally handled and it’s definitely a keeper. I do wish the dimensions of the hat were all-around larger, but it’s rare you get everything in life.

Brent tipped me off to mine... I love it. A bit shorter brim than his... though proportion wise maybe a bit similar. It’s a great grab and go hat for me. If you find one at a good price can’t go wrong.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Western style (Luduela) for US market, post WWII.

051021_1.jpg

View attachment 333687

051021_3.jpg

051021_4.jpg
I always liked their forehead vents

Keep an eye out for XXXXXX... always wondered if it was 20% better than the 5X. Definitely fewer and farther between.

Notice for sailors among the hats
Borsalino has been happy for years to shuffle the cards to deceive you with liners branded with different logos and X in large numbers.
Pay attention players because, as I have said many times, marketing plays tricks ;)

I’ve been known to sail too close to the wind, but even if the X-count is all marketing the hat was a bargain and I’m sure that felt will be buttery smooth.

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Let's finish the trio of Italian hats with a classic.
borsalino-ghiaccio-4-jpg.336576

Borsalino Trionfo French size 5 1/2 therefore a 58 cm. or 7 1/4 US
borsalino-ghiaccio-2-jpg.336577

The reason I bought this hat out of my size (pay attention loungers who wear hats of this size:)) is the color and finish of the felt.
I liked the combination of the color called "Ghiaccio" and the ribbon called "Marina" in a deep blue.

The felt is soft and finished with a short, supple pile. The hat, as can be seen from the paper label, is not very old, but finished with the characteristics of its predecessors.
borsalino-ghiaccio-interno-jpg.336580

Ribbon inside the sweatband and very high accuracy with high end materials
borsalino-ghiaccio-3-jpg.336581

The dimensions are classic of that period (Seventies) of Borsalino production: brim 5.5 cm, low point crown 10.5 cm. and 4 cm. high ribbon.
borsalino-ghiaccio-6-jpg.336582

A high quality model that Borsalino has always produced, even in very recent years

The reason I bought this hat out of my size (pay attention loungers who wear hats of this size:)) is the color and finish of the felt.
I liked the combination of the color called "Ghiaccio" and the ribbon called "Marina" in a deep blue.

The felt is soft and finished with a short, supple pile. The hat, as can be seen from the paper label, is not very old, but finished with the characteristics of its predecessors.

The dimensions are classic of that period (Seventies) of Borsalino production: brim 5.5 cm, low point crown 10.5 cm. and 4 cm. high ribbon.

A high quality model that Borsalino has always produced, even in very recent years
Classic and wonderful, Daniele. It's odd though that we don't see this intermediate label from the period 1968-1975 (roughly) all that much. Could it be that Borsalino was already producing far less hats as before?

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Classic and wonderful, Daniele. It's odd though that we don't see this intermediate label from the period 1968-1975 (roughly) all that much. Could it be that Borsalino was already producing far less hats as before?
Stefan, a very interesting question.
If I remember correctly from the Borsalino production figures, those were the years of the collapse in sales. Nobody in those years seemed to want a hat, me too.:)
Staying on the subject, that is the period in which production is still of the highest quality despite falling sales. However, it is still a golden age for Italian hats capable of fierce competition right up to the end. What is called the swan song.
From the early 1980s, everything will change.
Thinking about this hat we can say that it has nothing to envy to those made thirty years earlier.

Daniele, Super! The Felt (color, finish) is really fantastic. I especially like the contrast with the black band / bow.

Mcox47

Familiar Face

I keep looking for a real Borsalino, so will all you Borsalino Brothers please stop buying up hats in my size? Especially when they don't fit you and are destined to sit on a shelf. Open the tent and let some others in please. :)

Really nice hat and obviously, I'm jealous.

I keep looking for a real Borsalino, so will all you Borsalino Brothers please stop buying up hats in my size? Especially when they don't fit you and are destined to sit on a shelf. Open the tent and let some others in please. :)

Really nice hat and obviously, I'm jealous.
:D

What size are you?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko