Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The BORSALINO BROTHERHOOD

Alan, your observation is perfect, but it has an explanation: the red bricks of the house behind the wisteria that supports the en plein air set greatly influence the gray felts. I made arrangements with a colleague to photograph the hats in the studio. The best color is one in which gray has no dominant. The first is the most faithful

My thought was comparing your new hat with Wyldkarma's above. A decade or so later than yours but also marked Rutenio presents a much warmer neutral tone. My sense of Rutenio is of a more metallic silver gray as in your photos.

PanosChris

Practically Family
I hope this is the last chapter of the "Beautiful and Impossible" series, at least for this year.
Brother of Brummel's, in size, that you see in this thread has aroused enormous interest, later revealing itself to be a bitter disappointment.
lord_borsa_1_modificato-1-1-jpg.375484

The size ruled out any possibility for me and for Stefan as well.
lord_borsa_3_modificato-1-1-jpg.375485

Borsalino Qualit° Superiore (on the front of the sweatband) size 54 centimeters or 3 1/2 for the French and 6 3/4 in the USA.

The trademark, in yellow, is barely visible above the tip of the Cession hats shop in Liège.
I have rarely seen the Borsalino logo printed directly on the felt and this leads me to think it is a hat from before the Second World War or made immediately after.

The paper label suggests the second hypothesis.
lord_borsa_interno_totale-1-jpg.375489

The color of the felt is "Rutenio" and the type of hat is "Etnasti" (never found in my life)
lord_borsa_6_modificato-1-1-jpg.375490

The proportions of this rare Borsalino Lord hat are as follows: brim curled at 6 cm. the ribbon is 4cm and the height of the crown at its minimum point is 10cm.
lord_borsa_7_modificato-1-1-jpg.375493

He too was bought in the Cession shop in Liège - Belgium a few years ago.
lord_borsa_9-1-jpg.375496

I have no hat of this shape and having one either in black or as this would have been a satisfaction, it is instead destined to remain in my personal museum, as long as a small size shows up :)
Excellent find Daniele, really pity about the size though...I can recall seeing only a handful of Borsa lords here, either pre or post war made with different curls and brim finish. The "..impossible" series has turned out to be a favourite for many, so what are the opening hours of the museum, and does it have a guard? ;)

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Anyone what to give an opinion on the age of this hat? The seller says the box is original, but I’ve learned to take such claims with a grain of salt.
Brent the Borsalino you showed seems from the exterior prior to the WWII, but liner and some details make me think of a Fifties "reproduction" of a Twenty/Thirties Borsalino hat. The hat is really nice, but you know I like black hats. With more details to discover under the sweatband the knowledge will improve. About the Borsalino box I have seen some of the same type in Italy along with others solid color and I have the idea it belongs to the hat whetever date it was made

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Excellent find Daniele, really pity about the size though...I can recall seeing only a handful of Borsa lords here, either pre or post war made with different curls and brim finish. The "..impossible" series has turned out to be a favourite for many, so what are the opening hours of the museum, and does it have a guard?
The museum is open almost every day, or by appointment. There are no guards, just an alarm system:)
I too have seen a few Borsalinos in the shape of a "Lord hat". For this reason, with great enthusiasm, I bought it. The "Impossible" series is over and I hope to keep it closed so as not to increase the hassle:rolleyes:

Miamibruno

One Too Many
Brent the Borsalino you showed seems from the exterior prior to the WWII, but liner and some details make me think of a Fifties "reproduction" of a Twenty/Thirties Borsalino hat. The hat is really nice, but you know I like black hats. With more details to discover under the sweatband the knowledge will improve. About the Borsalino box I have seen some of the same type in Italy along with others solid color and I have the idea it belongs to the hat whetever date it was made

Thanks, Daniele. It has what I saw as conflicting indicators of age, but I’m no Borsalino expert. It’s on its way to me so hopefully the label under the sweatband will shed more light.

I hope this is the last chapter of the "Beautiful and Impossible" series, at least for this year.
Brother of Brummel's, in size, that you see in this thread has aroused enormous interest, later revealing itself to be a bitter disappointment.
lord_borsa_1_modificato-1-1-jpg.375484

The size ruled out any possibility for me and for Stefan as well.
lord_borsa_3_modificato-1-1-jpg.375485

Borsalino Qualit° Superiore (on the front of the sweatband) size 54 centimeters or 3 1/2 for the French and 6 3/4 in the USA.

The trademark, in yellow, is barely visible above the tip of the Cession hats shop in Liège.
I have rarely seen the Borsalino logo printed directly on the felt and this leads me to think it is a hat from before the Second World War or made immediately after.

The paper label suggests the second hypothesis.
lord_borsa_interno_totale-1-jpg.375489

The color of the felt is "Rutenio" and the type of hat is "Etnasti" (never found in my life)
lord_borsa_6_modificato-1-1-jpg.375490

The proportions of this rare Borsalino Lord hat are as follows: brim curled at 6 cm. the ribbon is 4cm and the height of the crown at its minimum point is 10cm.
lord_borsa_7_modificato-1-1-jpg.375493

He too was bought in the Cession shop in Liège - Belgium a few years ago.
lord_borsa_9-1-jpg.375496

I have no hat of this shape and having one either in black or as this would have been a satisfaction, it is instead destined to remain in my personal museum, as long as a small size shows up :)
Seeing this one still pains me. Why couldn't it have been in my size like they usually are? ;). Just looks at that brim curve!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran