Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The BORSALINO BROTHERHOOD

Louis Mountbatten

One of the Regulars
Assuming for a moment that the color is accurately represented in that photo (or even semi-accurately), that's an attention getter! Mint Green? Pistachio Green? Wonderful! Looking forward to seeing what the color really looks like.
Yep. It may be may darker than the photo. I'll know in a few days, anyway. St Patrick's Day here I come! LOL.

What does the vintage Borsalinos labeled Trionfo mean as far as quality compared to the qualitia superiore line?
Short answer: nothing. As far as we can gather the quality that was stated on the liners doesn't mean anything really. It was up to the retailers mostly to choose the kind of liners they wanted. The Trionfo was a production line, just like the Ardilla and Augusta lines. We know from their advertising material that their Trionfo line was rabbit felt, just like their "extra superiore" quality. I used to think their lightweight hats were all "qualitá extra extra superiore", but that just isn't the case.

Mean Eyed Matt

One Too Many
Matt, This is a transitional piece. Echter Borsalino + Export Qualität. Luckily we have a lot good information (like this date stamp) when it comes to German Market Borsalinos.

Thanks to you, too, Steve:
I never paid attention to that and thought it always said both.
A quick view at my "German" Borsas just showed me:
"Echter Borsalino" with the "cerated sheet with upright 'Borsalino'" label - date stamp: 1. Nov. 1952
"Echter Borsalino" + "Exportqualität" with the "cerated sheet" label - date stamp: 16. Dez. 1956
"Borsalino" + " Exportqualität" with "cerated roll" label - without date stamp

What does the vintage Borsalinos labeled Trionfo mean as far as quality compared to the qualitia superiore line?

As I said before, Borsalino doesn’t easily give up her secrets. The lack of consistency also means that the secrets are probably unknown to even the folks at Borsalino.

I’m guessing you’re wired to where you want to dig down and understand everything. You want to know the place for everything and have everything in its place. Unfortunately, Borsalino doesn’t lend itself to this approach. For me, I think it’s best to just stop worrying about what we don’t know and just enjoy these Italian wonders.

Thanks to you, too, Steve:
I never paid attention to that and thought it always said both.
A quick view at my "German" Borsas just showed me:
"Echter Borsalino" with the "cerated sheet with upright 'Borsalino'" label - date stamp: 1. Nov. 1952
"Echter Borsalino" + "Exportqualität" with the "cerated sheet" label - date stamp: 16. Dez. 1956
"Borsalino" + " Exportqualität" with "cerated roll" label - without date stamp
Matt, Thanks! I have most of the "Echter Borsalinos", "Echter Borsalino + Export Qualität"
and "Export Qualität" Hats posted on my site.

https://germanaustrianhats.invisionzone.com/topic/50-borsalino-german-market/

The oldest date stamps (1929) for "Echter Borsalino" are my 3 Max Eckhard Berlin finds. From German advertisements the use of "Echter Borsalino goes back to the early 1900s.

Echter Borsalino, "Fico" "Lama", 5 1/2 inch open crown, 2 1/2 inch brim, size 6 Point, very good condition, date stamped May 18, 1929.

19442556231_9c438ae592_b.jpg

19251295008_28a232dd49_b.jpg

18815777594_1d01fd3bba_b.jpg

19252323699_2f185ebf63_b.jpg

19250678910_6c3282361d_b.jpg

Cell Label

19432194962_c5ab91b9e4_b.jpg

18. 5. 29.

19439124055_5366c13112_b.jpg

https://germanaustrianhats.invision...no-german-market/?do=findComment&comment=1198

FedoraRedHat

One of the Regulars
Anyone know the difference between the modern Borsalino quality lines? I've obtained some Borsalino Francescos from DelMonico recently. With the exception of one hat, they are all generically stamped with the Borsalino/Alessandria logo with no visible quality branding on either the lining or the sweatband. They are all 100% rabbit fur.

DSC_0607.JPG

Only one color of this hat is marked differently, with the "Borsalino Rain-Proof Line" logo on the liner. I don't know whether any of these hats would stand up to the elements over time.

DSC_0608.JPG

Pkyoakum

One of the Regulars
I would ask DelMonico. I have both Qualita Superiore and Rain Proof Line. The Rain Proof Line is a bit less quality felt and cheaper price than the former. But I am also curious what quality one is getting when nothing is indicated. Best to ask the hatter. Let us know what you find out. I have not purchased a new Borsalino. Their web site doesn't help at all.

FedoraRedHat

One of the Regulars
I would ask DelMonico. I have both Qualita Superiore and Rain Proof Line. The Rain Proof Line is a bit less quality felt and cheaper price than the former. But I am also curious what quality one is getting when nothing is indicated. Best to ask the hatter. Let us know what you find out. I have not purchased a new Borsalino. Their web site doesn't help at all.

I called DelMonico. I spoke to Ben. They said that the hats were from the Alessandria line, including the one that said with the "Rain Proof Line" liner. I don't know anything about the quality of the Alessandria line, or how it holds up to the elements.

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Anyone know the difference between the modern Borsalino quality lines? I've obtained some Borsalino Francescos from DelMonico recently. With the exception of one hat, they are all generically stamped with the Borsalino/Alessandria logo with no visible quality branding on either the lining or the sweatband. They are all 100% rabbit fur.

DSC_0607.JPG

Only one color of this hat is marked differently, with the "Borsalino Rain-Proof Line" logo on the liner. I don't know whether any of these hats would stand up to the elements over time.

DSC_0608.JPG

By and large, vintage Borsalino quality brandings didn't really mean much. They were more or less advertising gimmicks. The same can be said of the modern "rain proof" mark. Just about all felt hats are rain proof, just not to be worn while in a Noah's Ark situation.

I would surmise that modern Borsalinos don't show any different "quality" markations so as to save money on the production of liners.

Pkyoakum

One of the Regulars
I called DelMonico. I spoke to Ben. They said that the hats were from the Alessandria line, including the one that said with the "Rain Proof Line" liner. I don't know anything about the quality of the Alessandria line, or how it holds up to the elements.
The next question I would ask him is what hats are from the Qualita Superiore Line? I know Kevin from JJ Hat Center always says he only wears the Qualita Superiore models. He said the Rain Proof is good, but not their best. I do know that my used Traveler Borsa from the Rain Proof Line is not as good as my newer one I have with Qualita Superiore on the liner. But I am sure you received good quality hats. The other, no doubt, are the ones with the higher prices.

Last edited:

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Well, folks, it is just as I thought. This Borso is very green, but not minty green. It is quite a bit darker than the photos on ebay. I have to say, this felt is a very nice weight and soft. I am a bit more impressed than I thought I'd be. Here is the actual color. View attachment 392852

Definitely one to wear on the 17th of March :)

Love to see more images inside and out.

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
The next question I would ask him is what hats are from the Qualita Superiore Line? I know Kevin from JJ Hat Center always says he only wears the Qualita Superiore models. He said the Rain Proof is good, but not their best. I do know that my used Traveler Borsa from the Rain roof Line is not as good as my newer one I have Qualita Superiore on the liner. But I am sure yiou received good quality hats. The other, no doubt, are that ones with the higher prices.

Go vintage Borsalino, not new. Best quality for the buck.

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Easy to say go vintage for anyone who can wear size 7 1/8 and smaller-lol. Those of us size 7 3/8 who often really need size 7 1/2 in vintage Borsalino have to really be patient and wait for one we like to come available.

Not an easy size to find, but not impossible either. Check out some of the Borsalino aficionados here on the FL. They may have something in your head range.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto