Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The BORSALINO BROTHERHOOD

Ken David

One of the Regulars
The tag looks like it was made between 1961-1965 if I go by what has been shared earlier on this site. Looks like your gamble paid off. They don't always work out that great. I am waiting for a vintage Stylepark Templeform fedora listed at $29 I snagged yesterday soon after it was listed. Only two photos provided and seller would not answer questions. It was cheap enough to gamble I may have a good find. But it could turn out a beater hat.
Thanks for the info. I looks maybe the hat was reblocked in 1980 from a 61/2 to 6 (7 /3/8) by Hussey's hatters.

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Borsalino Arrived

I snagged this one based on some poor pics and limited info (size and brim width). Quick measuremnts 6" open crown, 2 3/4" brim contrasting thin ribbon (originally thought it needed replaced-poor pics), missing liner. Very soft, thin, smooth and pliable felt. Felt is not like any of my moderns or limited vintage hats but does remind me of a 40s Stetson I had for a short time that I sold due to fitting too tight. From the label appears from 1980.

View attachment 406253 View attachment 406254 View attachment 406255
Nice find, Ken.

I agree with Brent @deadlyhandsome and @Pkyoakum that this one is older than the 80s. As said, the paper label says 60s. And as Brent mentions, Borsalinos don't always run to size.

If it was refurbished in the 80s, that may have been when it lost its liner.

Borsalino Arrived

I snagged this one based on some poor pics and limited info (size and brim width). Quick measuremnts 6" open crown, 2 3/4" brim contrasting thin ribbon (originally thought it needed replaced-poor pics), missing liner. Very soft, thin, smooth and pliable felt. Felt is not like any of my moderns or limited vintage hats but does remind me of a 40s Stetson I had for a short time that I sold due to fitting too tight. From the label appears from 1980.

View attachment 406253 View attachment 406254 View attachment 406255
It's a nice find. Like the others have said it's earlier than 1980. Lisca (fishbone) is yet another Borsalino colour we haven't seen before.

Pkyoakum

One of the Regulars
I have never seen this type of white tag on a Borsalino. Any idea what era it was made? Thanks.

Attachments

• borsatag - 1.jpeg
    borsatag - 1.jpeg
    172.3 KB · Views: 77

Pkyoakum

One of the Regulars
It's on Ebay. Guy said it was a 2 " brim, but label says 1 3/4. I am amazed that many don't realize the differences between a 1 3/4, 1 7/8, 2, and 2 1/8 inc brim. Many just estimate 2 inches like they are all the same. I realize I really like a 2 1/8 inch brim. 1 7/8 is the smallest I want to go and only if the hat otherwise is awesome.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-10 at 3.58.27 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-10 at 3.58.27 PM.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 64
  • Screen Shot 2022-03-10 at 3.59.05 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-10 at 3.59.05 PM.png
    6.7 MB · Views: 71

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
In my little resistance to the proposals of the market, some new elements of the immense family of Borsalino production are added every now and then.
M Blancfer 1.jpg

Borsalino Antica Casa size 58 cm. so a 7 1/4 US which has a particular heathered felt.
M Blancfer interno.jpg
It belongs to the large "Misti" family, that is fur and wool mixed to give this particular finish to the felt in which elements of different colors stand out on the background color.
M Blancfer 3.jpg
The color of the felt and the type are M. (which means Mixed) Blancfer (could translate into "White Iron") with the ribbon in "Asfalto-Asphalt" color.
M Blancfer etichetta carta.jpg
It is not my size, maybe it was, but its peculiarity invited me to buy it.
M Blancfer 4.jpg
These are the measurements: the over-sewn brims are 5.5 cm. The open crown is 12.5cm and the ribbon is 4cm high.
M Blancfer particolare.jpg
Felt, as in all mixed fabrics, is a mixture of different colors and surfaces, here you can see it well.
M Blancfer 5.jpg

It goes to keep company with the others who occasionally appear on these threads.

Last edited:
In my little resistance to the proposals of the market, some new elements of the immense family of Borsalino production are added every now and then.
M Blancfer 1.jpg

Borsalino Qualità Extra Extra Superiore size 58 cm. so a 7 1/4 US which has a particular heathered felt.
M Blancfer interno.jpg
It belongs to the large "Misti" family, that is fur and wool mixed to give this particular finish to the felt in which elements of different colors stand out on the background color.
M Blancfer 3.jpg
The color of the felt and the type are M. (which means Mixed) Blancfer (could translate into "White Iron") with the ribbon in "Asfalto-Asphalt" color.
M Blancfer 4.jpg
These are the measurements: the over-sewn brims are 5.5 cm. The open crown is 12.5cm and the ribbon is 4cm high.
Felt, as in all mixed fabrics, is a mixture of different colors and surfaces, here you can see it well.
M Blancfer 5.jpg

It goes to keep company with the others who occasionally appear on these threads.
Daniele, Super! Really like the felt Finish and mélange of colors. Not same old dull smooth finish. :)

I have never seen this type of white tag on a Borsalino. Any idea what era it was made? Thanks.
Very interesting. I have the feeling this label was added for the American market. We rarely see the Borsalino label missing, but it does happen. I have one with a very generic label. It has Fu-L (Fu Lazzaro?) scribbled on it even if it isn't a Fu Lazzaro branded hat.
borsalino rogers peet_12.jpg

Cromo is a colour we haven't seen before, but it fits with the metal colours of which there are many by Borsalino. It seems to have a felted edge, which aren't that common for them. I'd say mid fifties to mid-sixties for this one.

Pkyoakum

One of the Regulars
Very interesting. I have the feeling this label was added for the American market. We rarely see the Borsalino label missing, but it does happen. I have one with a very generic label. It has Fu-L (Fu Lazzaro?) scribbled on it even if it isn't a Fu Lazzaro branded hat. View attachment 408838
Cromo is a colour we haven't seen before, but it fits with the metal colours of which there are many by Borsalino. It seems to have a felted edge, which aren't that common for them. I'd say mid fifties to mid-sixties for this one.
In also have a Borsalino with a tag just like this and believe it to be from the 1960s. If memory serves one such hat passed through my hands that had both this kind of tag along with the typical white label that indicated it was dated between 1961-1965.

M Blancfer 1.jpg

Borsalino Qualità Extra Extra Superiore size 58 cm. so a 7 1/4 US which has a particular heathered felt.
M Blancfer interno.jpg
M Blancfer 3.jpg
M Blancfer 4.jpg
M Blancfer 5.jpg

Interesting find, Daniele. And another colour added to the vast Borsalino selection.

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
Very interesting. I have the feeling this label was added for the American market. We rarely see the Borsalino label missing, but it does happen. I have one with a very generic label. It has Fu-L (Fu Lazzaro?) scribbled on it even if it isn't a Fu Lazzaro branded hat. View attachment 408838
I would not put a whole lot thought into any hat with this label, they were used by a lot of companies, where and abroad.

The fourth hat from a hat lot of four. All the others were Mossant hats sold by Biser of Paris. This Borsalino was sold by Sools (so it seems). Could be the sweatband is a replacement, because the Borsalino logo is missing.

Borsalino Landasti in the colour Bismuto. Size 57 with the raw edge brim at 5cm and the crown at 10,5cm at the center dent. Liner is missing, but it probably did have one. The label is the one with the separate size sticker, so early in the period 1936-1953.

borsalino landasti sools_1.jpg
borsalino landasti sools_2.jpg
borsalino landasti sools_3.jpg
borsalino landasti sools_4.jpg
borsalino landasti sools_5.jpg
borsalino landasti sools_6.jpg
borsalino landasti sools_7.jpg
borsalino landasti sools_8.jpg
borsalino landasti sools_9.jpg

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
The color of the felt is one of my favorites in the range of Borsalino production.
Mirtillo 2.jpg

Borsalino Qualità Extra Extra Superiore size 6 1/2 or 60 cm. in the US it is a 7 1/2.
Mirtillo Interno.jpg
The color of the felt is "Mirtillo - Blueberry" and the finish has a very short fur and is very soft.
Mirtillo etichetta carta.jpg The hat is a production of the historical Borsalino in its last years.
Mirtillo 4.jpg
The hat was produced in 1981 when the historic family sold the property to a group of Alexandria families
Mirtillo 3.jpg

The measures of the hat typical shape in Italy of those years are: the brim over the top are 5 cm. the open crown is 13cm and the matching ribbon is 4cm.
Mirtillo 6.jpg
I couldn't resist the color although I hope to find others in my favorite colors :)

The color of the felt is one of my favorites in the range of Borsalino production.
Mirtillo 2.jpg

Borsalino Qualità Extra Extra Superiore size 6 1/2 or 60 cm. in the US it is a 7 1/2.
Mirtillo Interno.jpg
The color of the felt is "Mirtillo - Blueberry" and the finish has a very short fur and is very soft.
Mirtillo etichetta carta.jpg The hat is a production of the historical Borsalino in its last years.
Mirtillo 4.jpg
The hat was produced in 1981 when the historic family sold the property to a group of Alexandria families
Mirtillo 3.jpg

The measures of the hat typical shape in Italy of those years are: the brim over the top are 5 cm. the open crown is 13cm and the matching ribbon is 4cm.
Mirtillo 6.jpg
I couldn't resist the color although I hope to find others in my favorite colors :)
Mirtillo is always a winner. Great find, Daniele.

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Not an everyday item and still I forgot about the auction :oops:
It didn't sell, but it wasn't relisted yet (fingers crossed). So this is NOT mine.
Borsalino shipping box. First time I've seen one. View attachment 410177 View attachment 410178 View attachment 410179 View attachment 410180 View attachment 410181 View attachment 410182
Stefan, It's really fantastic. I hope it ends up in your possession. I have a couple old shipping boxes that have a similar wooden frame design.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112