Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The BORSALINO BROTHERHOOD

carouselvic said:
This hat is in "as new" condition. It has never been worn. It has never been refurbished. I bought this hat only to learn from it, at that time I had not seen a Borsalino in a long oval. I have seen a hand full since buying this one. Still scratching.

It does look pristine. The broken up Borsalino mfg stamp just stands out to me.

gtdean48 said:
7 1/4 is the British size where 7 3/8 is the US size. My Borso has 7 1/2 & 61cm but fits my 7 5/8 head. The 7 1/2 is the British size for a 61 where 7 5/8 is the US.
Look at hat size conversion chart for US, English, French, & Metric sizes = http://www.everythingaustralian.com.au/fitting.asp

Probably right on the British size but who applied it? Most of the Borsalinos I have from the Euro market use Punti sizing (applied by Borsalino).

This is certainly a interesting example of how hard it is to date Borsalinos!

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
This hat is a velor finish, very fuzzy inside and out. It would be quite hard to make a stamp stick to it. As far as the size discrepancy, English blocks?

carouselvic said:
This hat is a velor finish, very fuzzy inside and out. It would be quite hard to make a stamp stick to it. As far as the size discrepancy, English blocks?

I guess it could have broken up on it's own.

I have no idea about these 11851 stamps. What do you make them?

gtdean48 said:
No idea who applied it. I bought an Alessandria new in Ft Worth, TX that does not have a US size on the tag anywhere. It has English, Punti & Metric = 7 1/2 7 61. Go figure... [huh]

The original Borsalino mfg stamp has 7 3/8 only. As I said the Euro market Borsalinos (pre owner change) I have seen have Punti size only.

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
This hat's felt is as close to cloth as it is to felt, very pliable. That's what I attribute the broken label to, but I just don't know.

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
mayserwegener said:
The original Borsalino mfg stamp has 7 3/8 only. As I said the Euro market Borsalinos (pre owner change) I have seen have Punti size only.

I've seen Borsalinos made for the English market with fractional size tags, one size off from the American size.

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
Lefty said:
DSC_0120.jpg

DSC_0432.jpg

DSC_0426.jpg

DSC_0423.jpg

DSC_0418.jpg
Here is the same number tape used again on Lefty's hat. Both mine and his seem to be transitional.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
carouselvic said:
I've seen Borsalinos made for the English market with fractional size tags, one size off from the American size.
Speculating a jobber/wholesaler/importer is in the middle and Borsalino shipped finished bodies and the sweatbands and/or liners are fitted on the other end. I can't prove it unless someone like Besdor has knowledge in this regards.[huh]

carouselvic said:

Do they have an American size too? I don't have any pre 1980 American or English market Borsalinos. Most of mine are for the German market and they are consistent with Punti only sizing. Same with the others I have.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Scott Wood said:
What size? :whistling

Hi Scott. Sorry for the very late reply, but just got reinstated today. It's a 7 3/8. The problem with the hat is that it has too taper - first Borso I've had with this 'problem' lol ...but it feels so good on my head that I'm going to learn to live with it.

Regarding rlk's comment about pre-OPS tags, I bet this one ends up being an oldie:

old Cav edge Borso on ebay

hat21c.jpg

hat21m.jpg

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Oldest Borsalino I've owned

Actually light grey (not white) and the felt is wonderful - compares closest to my old Knox Twenty's, but even better. It's hard to date Borsos, but I'm guessing this one is '30s. Immediate top ten hat:

BorsoCavSideFront.jpg

BorsoCavBottom.jpg

BorsoCavSweatBack.jpg

BorsoCavSweatLogos.jpg

BorsoCavTag.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran