Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The BORSALINO BROTHERHOOD

wsmontana

A-List Customer
I’ve had a couple Borsalinos run true to size but most have run small and some very small. I’ve never had one run large. It’s a beautiful homburg and it’s a shame it doesn’t fit you well.

Thanks, Brent. Yes, lesson learned. This was my first Borsalino and the seller ignored all my requests for measurements. I saw in his profile that he was a large man and he did respond positively when I asked if the hat fit him. I figured it was worth paying $67 for the chance to get a great looking hat.

Last edited:
Thanks, Brent. Yes, lesson learned. This was my first Borsalino and the seller ignored all my requests for measurments. I saw in his profile that he was a large man and he did respond positively when I asked if the hat fit him. I figured it was worth paying $67 for the chance to get a great looking hat.

You should have no trouble getting your money back if you decide to sell it. I’d take that chance any day.

wsmontana

A-List Customer
Thank you. Most kind of you. However, I bow to the Borsalino and not my ability to wear them :)

Have you thought of stretching it. A little tweak might help.
Yes, I did try to stretch it but even with minimal pressure the brim deformed quite alarmingly. I don’t want to risk damaging it so will likely flip and hope for better luck next time.

Noah Way

New in Town
Looking for someone to clean and repair my Borsalinos. One is close to 40 years old and needs an overhaul. The other is only 30 and needs a new sweatband and a little stretching.

Does anyone have a good source for this?

Thanks -

d5dadf20416048532bdb61c6c7e21ced.JPG

802589e753131be785365bd511285bc7.JPG

Last edited:

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Summer finds in an Italy too hot for the period.
Borsalino MH Grigio 1.jpg
Borsalino Qualità Superiore, size is 6 1/2 or 60 centimeters ot 7 1/2 US, that comes from the "Matthias Hutter" seller in Merano from whom I bought a lot.
Borsalino MH Grigio interno totale.jpg
This comes from a private individual who had put together a small Borsalino collection from the recent era
Borsalino MH Grigio 3.jpg
As you can see, color is a number. it is probably one of the "cold" grays from A's house
Borsalino MH Grigio etichetta carta.jpg
Maybe Uranium or maybe something similar.
Borsalino MH Grigio 4.jpg
The felt is of excellent quality as well as finishes despite its recent past
Borsalino MH Grigio 6.jpg
The measures are these: the brims, sewed over, are 5.5 cm. and the ribbon at 4 centimeters, the fully open crown is at 13 centimeters.
Borsalino MH Grigio 9.jpg
A beautiful hat, very elegant in a classic combination for Borsalino. Look for a home

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Last purchase for the summer, so I hope:cool:
Caffè Borsalino 1.jpg
This is a type of felt, color and finish that I have widely in my collection.
Caffè Borsalino 3.jpg
Borsalino Qualità Extra Superiore size 6 1/2 or 60 cm. and 7 1/2 in the US
Caffè Borsalino MH interno totale.jpg
This too is a hat that comes from "Matthias Hutter" of Merano through a collector
Caffè Borsalino 6.jpg
It is a "modern" era Borsalino in a color that I really like "Caffé"
Caffè Borsalino MH etichetta carta.jpg
The felt is soft and finished with a medium fur, the ribbon match the color
Caffè Borsalino 7.jpg
The measures are these: the brims, sewed over, are 5.5 cm. and the ribbon at 4 centimeters, the fully open crown is at 13.5 centimeters
Caffè Borsalino 5.jpg
It is looking for a home. A hat for the autumn season of which it has the colors.

Last purchase for the summer, so I hope:cool:
Caffè Borsalino 1.jpg
This is a type of felt, color and finish that I have widely in my collection.
Caffè Borsalino 3.jpg
Borsalino Qualità Extra Superiore size 6 1/2 or 60 cm. and 7 1/2 in the US
Caffè Borsalino MH interno totale.jpg
This too is a hat that comes from "Matthias Hutter" of Merano through a collector
Caffè Borsalino 6.jpg
It is a "modern" era Borsalino in a color that I really like "Caffé"
Caffè Borsalino MH etichetta carta.jpg
The felt is soft and finished with a medium fur, the ribbon match the color
Caffè Borsalino 7.jpg
The measures are these: the brims, sewed over, are 5.5 cm. and the ribbon at 4 centimeters, the fully open crown is at 13.5 centimeters
Caffè Borsalino 5.jpg
It is looking for a home. A hat for the autumn season of which it has the colors.
Two fine examples that show they kept up the quality throughout the changes.

View attachment 437423 View attachment 437424 View attachment 437425 View attachment 437426 View attachment 437427

1996 model in green. Intended to replace a brown Akubra that is a little too big. 6.5cm brim.
Anyone have an idea why the sweatband seems stretched at the top? I don't notice it while wearing but I wonder if I can do anything about the aesthetics?
Welcome to the lounge and to the Borsalino Brotherhood. Can't see any stretching on the sweatband to be honest. If you mean the waving of the sweatband: that is caused by the sweatband being slightly too big at the top end, meaning it wasn't cut at a sufficient angle. If it doesn't bother you while wearing it, I would leave it like it is.

Here’s a liner I don’t recall seeing before. Borsalino used more liner designs than all the other hat companies combined…and I I love that.

View attachment 437523
Those are nice. Likely this one was covered by the yellow or plastic cellophane originally. Like these:

borsalino alba_08.jpg
borsalino empaspo_07.jpg
borsalino tannino_08.jpg

The liner was exactly the reason I bought these hats. It seems this liner was only used by Guiseppe Marino of Napoli.

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Rutenio seems to have a varied colored pattern. This one is more of a golden champagne color.
Ruthenium.jpg
I attach the photo of the ruthenium as a starting point to deduce the color.
At Borsalino they have certainly made their considerations on the type of gray to use. In the photos you have attached it is a warm gray, but having in the collection Borsalino colored in "Rutenio" I will go and see them to understand. Maybe a photo of your hat outside the house would help

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points