Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The BORSALINO BROTHERHOOD

Borsalino Linea Sport fedora in black with a suede finish. Size 57 with the raw edge brim at 6,5cm and the crown at 11,5cm at the center dent. Might not be vintage Borsalino, but it's a quality hat all the same. Very nice hand to the felt.

borsalino linea sport_01.jpg

borsalino linea sport_02.jpg

borsalino linea sport_03.jpg

borsalino linea sport_04.jpg

borsalino linea sport_06.jpg

borsalino linea sport_09.jpg

borsalino linea sport_10.jpg

borsalino linea sport_12.jpg

PDXHAT

One of the Regulars
Hello Borsalino Brothers:

I have of late been a huge fan of the Borsalino Travel Trilby I purchased from Delmonico. The grade of felt is "Rain Proof", certainly below Superiore but soft and light and I love it.

My question is, Holland Hats has a line of Borsalinos in 50 gram, which I know of but have never tried or held in the hand. Does anybody know if they are of similar feel to the Trilby I have (both are rollable) and basically open crown (I imagine it would have to be if rollable)?

Thanks in advance!
IMG_6915.JPG
IMG_6916.JPG

Hello Borsalino Brothers:

I have of late been a huge fan of the Borsalino Travel Trilby I purchased from Delmonico. The grade of felt is "Rain Proof", certainly below Superiore but soft and light and I love it.

My question is, Holland Hats has a line of Borsalinos in 50 gram, which I know of but have never tried or held in the hand. Does anybody know if they are of similar feel to the Trilby I have (both are rollable) and basically open crown (I imagine it would have to be if rollable)?

Thanks in advance! View attachment 520973 View attachment 520974
Haven't handled the modern 50 gram hat by Borsalino, but from the older equivalent hats they made I'd say they are not made to be rollable. The felt on them is extremely thin and shapes with a breeze, which is another way of saying they will not hold their shape very well. Very different feel than their rain proof line I'd say.

PDXHAT

One of the Regulars
Haven't handled the modern 50 gram hat by Borsalino, but from the older equivalent hats they made I'd say they are not made to be rollable. The felt on them is extremely thin and shapes with a breeze, which is another way of saying they will not hold their shape very well. Very different feel than their rain proof line I'd say.
Thanks for the info. Holland Hts describes this as "roll up packable". Not really sure about anything else, I have an email into them but have never dealt with this company.

PDXHAT

One of the Regulars
Haha, exactly.

I actually care less about it being packable. What I'm looking for is the same soft felt in the "Rain Proof" line that they use on the Trilbies Delmonico sells. Of course, every vendor can order and configure Borsalino hats in so many quality and custom specs it's hard to really know from one shop to another.

PDXHAT

One of the Regulars
Borsalino Linea Sport fedora in black with a suede finish. Size 57 with the raw edge brim at 6,5cm and the crown at 11,5cm at the center dent. Might not be vintage Borsalino, but it's a quality hat all the same. Very nice hand to the felt.

borsalino linea sport_01.jpg

borsalino linea sport_02.jpg

borsalino linea sport_03.jpg

borsalino linea sport_04.jpg

borsalino linea sport_06.jpg

borsalino linea sport_09.jpg

borsalino linea sport_10.jpg

borsalino linea sport_12.jpg
This looks close to if not exactly the same as the Trilby line in Rain Proof that I'm talking about. Easy to shape the crown, yes? Holds a nice shape? Lightweight? Did you buy it recently or are you not original owner? (I love it BTW.) Here's the inside f my trilby.

Last edited:
Forgot I bought this one, which is hard to believe with such a nice hat.
Borsalino Lunasca 39 1/2 in a brown colour called Palma. That is the first time we've seen this colour, so the sheer endless number of Borsalino colours hasn't reached the bottom yet. Size 59 with the raw edge brim at 7,2cm and the crown at 10,5cm at the center dent. Weighs 120 grams and was sold by Sools, Paris. It's a beauty. A bit of the shadow of the old crease can still be seen in the back.

borsalino lunasca palma_02.jpg

borsalino lunasca palma_03.jpg

borsalino lunasca palma_04.jpg

borsalino lunasca palma_06.jpg

borsalino lunasca palma_07.jpg

borsalino lunasca palma_08.jpg

borsalino lunasca palma_09.jpg

borsalino lunasca palma_10.jpg

borsalino lunasca palma_12.jpg

borsalino lunasca palma_01.jpg

Found on the way home from Fathers Day activities........Was I surprised!!!!
An Made for America Import with grand dimensions: Just under 2 3/4 inch brim and a bit more than a 5 3/4 open crown!!!! AND...a sweet "Cavanagh Edge" Brim!! It has a 1 3/4" ribbon and a full 2" stippled/textured roan sweat....
Interesting color too!!!!
:)
1687184803227.png

1687184853566.png
1687184894265.png
1687184934055.png

Sold in Chicago.......and no reed so super comfortable!
1687184964279.png

1687184984004.png

1687185040097.png

EDIT: Also has that ventilation system (or whatever they called it) sewn into the front behind the sweat...
1687358249713.png

EDIT: (I knew I would get something wrong.....:oops:). So now, I would guess about mid 50's or so....based on the truly American market large proportion styling and the 1953-60 tag. Still has the model in lower right so earlier in that time? Interesting that the tag is serrated all around (like the earlier ones but without Borsalino being imprinted on the left (though there is certainly room for that).
1687185111564.png

It is in absolutely perfect condition too....
I am a happy, happy camper!!!!!!!:)
:):)

Last edited:

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
An Made for America Import with grand dimensions: Just under 2 3/4 inch brim and a bit more than a 5 3/4 open crown!!!! AND...a sweet "Cavanagh Edge" Brim!! It has a 1 3/4" ribbon and a full 2" roan sweat....
View attachment 526694

View attachment 526695 View attachment 526696 View attachment 526697
Sold in Chicago.......and no reed to super comfortable!
View attachment 526698
View attachment 526699
View attachment 526700
I would guess about 1950 or so....based on the truly American market large proportion styling and the pre-1953 tag.
View attachment 526701
Great find, Mark. Congrats! Love that crease.

An Made for America Import with grand dimensions: Just under 2 3/4 inch brim and a bit more than a 5 3/4 open crown!!!! AND...a sweet "Cavanagh Edge" Brim!! It has a 1 3/4" ribbon and a full 2" roan sweat....
View attachment 526694

View attachment 526695 View attachment 526696 View attachment 526697
Sold in Chicago.......and no reed to super comfortable!
View attachment 526698
View attachment 526699
View attachment 526700
I would guess about 1950 or so....based on the truly American market large proportion styling and the pre-1953 tag.
View attachment 526701
Fabulous. Congratulations Mark

Please explain your dating method
Well......according to research here in this thread the fully cerrated blocking tag was used from the later 1930's to about 1952-53. It has the common tip found on many U S imports plus it was sold in Chicago.....as we would not have been importing them during the war or even much before (think about it), it would be post war. Not sure how quick they were up to speed after the war exporting goods..........And dimensions are quite of the period for popular American hats of the time.....hence Circa 1950.

I do not claim to be an expert on Borsalinos but I can read these threads and process some of the information and try my best with my hat in hand. :)

Do you have a different date in mind? I could certainly have miss-read the label articles.....and it is mid-50's? It does have attributes of the both earlier and later labels.....

EDIT: Label is from 1953-60. I Just knew I would get something wrong......:oops:
:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GokhanB