Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Bowler or Derby Hat

indycop said:
I bet Carter is the first one to look at this thinking it's Kiera!lol

hs006ig6dx8.jpg

That looks a lot like Churchill's bowler. The higher flat top crown is a style that they call a Cambridge bowler if I remember correctly. Churchill was a well known cambridge style bowler wearer.
The problem I have with modern bowlers is simple really. They do not know how to get a tight roll on the edge of the brim. Vintage bowlers had a very tight curl to the brim edge and the brim itself was not flat. There should be some bow to it. I know I am picky but I like a bowler that is the bowler style and classically should look the same if they want to call it a bowler.
I have a couple in my stable that I think illustrate my point.
bowler3.jpg

Notice the tight brim curl that curls in so tight that it is nearly at a 180 degree angle to the brim proper.

bowler2.jpg

From the side you can see the upward bow in the brim.

bowler1.jpg

One of my favorites is the wide brim bowler. These are not very common at all, however, they would have been the more utilitarian when it comes to keeping the sun out of your eyes. Probably what you see Bat Masterson Wearing in that picture.

Amish-top2.jpg

Something fairly unusual to see is the very unusual Amish bowler. it is utilitarian and quite stiff.

Amish-inside-2.jpg

This one is quite old and has the adjustable sweatband.

Amish-inside.jpg

All the way around.

I only know of one modern Bowler maker who is still making bowlers the old fashioned way. He makes the brims correctly and even has the option of making one a Cambridge Bowler. The problem is that I can't remember his name. :eusa_doh: He is listed in Debbie Henderson's book Hat Talk though.
Lastly, a famous bowler wearer that many do not associate the bowler with:
Billythekid.jpg

carter

I'll Lock Up
indycop said:
I bet Carter is the first one to look at this thinking it's Kiera!lol

hs006ig6dx8.jpg

Nope. Big Man was all over this one. lol lol lol
I was on a mission to school.
Besides, I know an Odd Job when I see one. ;)
My age may be in question but my eyesight is just ducky. :)

jamespowers, Thanks for posting those shots. Don't believe I've seen a picture of William Bonney wearing a derby before. Was this before Lincoln County?

carter said:
Nope. Big Man was all over this one. lol lol lol
I was on a mission to school.
Besides, I know an Odd Job when I see one. ;)
My age may be in question but my eyesight is just ducky. :)

jamespowers, Thanks for posting those shots. Don't believe I've seen a picture of William Bonney wearing a derby before. Was this before Lincoln County?

Far before Lincoln County. The owner of said picture is in the process of selling the picture with the back story. However, I gathered enough on my own to save me the purchase price.;) :p It was a heretofor unknown picture of Bonney. Before the reverse negative ugly picture of him with the rifle. I understand few people lived long enough to get a good picture of him. I mean if you shoot a man for snoring......:eek:

carter

I'll Lock Up
jamespowers said:
Far before Lincoln County. The owner of said picture is in the process of selling the picture with the back story. However, I gathered enough on my own to save me the purchase price.;) :p It was a heretofor unknown picture of Bonney. Before the reverse negative ugly picture of him with the rifle. I understand few people lived long enough to get a good picture of him. I mean if you shoot a man for snoring......:eek:

Yeah, we only threw combat boots at guys for snoring. One in particular. But that's a story for another thread.

Can you share the backstory withn us?

indycop

I'll Lock Up
jamespowers said:
That looks a lot like Churchill's bowler. The higher flat top crown is a style that they call a Cambridge bowler if I remember correctly. Churchill was a well known cambridge style bowler wearer.
The problem I have with modern bowlers is simple really. They do not know how to get a tight roll on the edge of the brim. Vintage bowlers had a very tight curl to the brim edge and the brim itself was not flat. There should be some bow to it. I know I am picky but I like a bowler that is the bowler style and classically should look the same if they want to call it a bowler.
I have a couple in my stable that I think illustrate my point.

bowler1.jpg

One of my favorites is the wide brim bowler. These are not very common at all, however, they would have been the more utilitarian when it comes to keeping the sun out of your eyes. Probably what you see Bat Masterson Wearing in that picture.
But Churchill's bowler couldn't take your head off like Oddjob's.;)
I like the widebrim bowler the best.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Indycop made me do it !

Keira Knightley received her derby from Chanel. Has anyone noticed that she has long fingers and nice nails? :)

She sent our buddy this tasteful photo which he has graciously agreed to share with us. ;) :)

keiraknightleysexyphotofj8.jpg

indycop

I'll Lock Up
jamespowers said:
I know of a guy who can make you one. He is the same one that does the Cambridge bowlers and the ones with the correct brim curl. I can't find my book and I can't remember the guy's name. Anyone out there with a Hat Talk book find the picture with the guy holding two bowlers. That's him. :D
:eusa_doh: Where's Rusty with that wanted poster?

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
jamespowers said:
I know of a guy who can make you one. He is the same one that does the Cambridge bowlers and the ones with the correct brim curl. I can't find my book and I can't remember the guy's name. Anyone out there with a Hat Talk book find the picture with the guy holding two bowlers. That's him. :D

John McMicking (I just checked my copy of the book).

This appears to be his contact info:

John McMicking
L&H HATS
179 Melville Street
Dundas, Ontario
L9H 2A9
Phone: (905) 627-7492

Brad

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member