Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Bowler or Derby Hat

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Not strictly a bowler, but I wouldn't know what else to call it. It was part of the two hat deal and it was the one that caught my eye. In style it resembles as Cambridge bowler, but to keep it French let's call it a Melon Sorbonne (which isn't a thing, but has a nice ring to it).
Mouroux & Cauzeret chapeau melon. Size 55 with the brim at 5cm and the crown at 13cm. Corded and with a clasped bow set halfway between a side bow and a backbow. Two gromets on either side and a cord of unknown function. I think this a very early style and the hat certainly shows its age with the felt won down to the shellac on most of the brim and either mothing or wear has done a number on the front of the crown as well. Can't wear it but I still like it.

View attachment 517310 View attachment 517311 View attachment 517312 View attachment 517313 View attachment 517314 View attachment 517315 View attachment 517316 View attachment 517317 View attachment 517318 View attachment 517319
Despite the sizes, two very nice finds, Stefan. They're ones one just has to add to the collection, especially the Melon Sorbonne. Great term for it!

Despite the sizes, two very nice finds, Stefan. They're ones one just has to add to the collection, especially the Melon Sorbonne. Great term for it!
Thank you, gents.

Your bowlers today are a nice lot also, Stefan.
Thanks, gentlemen. They are nice finds from a historical viewpoint if nothing else. As for the second one, I recall that French GP's or people in the medical profession wore a certain type of hat. Can't find and example of it. In a way it reminds me of the Girondin hat of the 18th and early 19th century.

1684061784439.png

Not strictly a bowler, but I wouldn't know what else to call it. It was part of the two hat deal and it was the one that caught my eye. In style it resembles as Cambridge bowler, but to keep it French let's call it a Melon Sorbonne (which isn't a thing, but has a nice ring to it).
Mouroux & Cauzeret chapeau melon. Size 55 with the brim at 5cm and the crown at 13cm. Corded and with a clasped bow set halfway between a side bow and a backbow. Two gromets on either side and a cord of unknown function. I think this a very early style and the hat certainly shows its age with the felt won down to the shellac on most of the brim and either mothing or wear has done a number on the front of the crown as well. Can't wear it but I still like it.

View attachment 517310 View attachment 517311 View attachment 517312 View attachment 517313 View attachment 517314 View attachment 517315 View attachment 517316 View attachment 517317 View attachment 517318 View attachment 517319

Thanks, gentlemen. They are nice finds from a historical viewpoint if nothing else. As for the second one, I recall that French GP's or people in the medical profession wore a certain type of hat. Can't find and example of it. In a way it reminds me of the Girondin hat of the 18th and early 19th century.

View attachment 517342
I was going to say it resembled somewhat what we call over here Pilgrim hat. really sort of costume/decoration for Thanksgiving. Essentially that Girondin hat.

Mayser "J.K.", 57 cm, 115 grams, possibly late 1920s. The exterior Size Stamp is 58 which is accurate. The black Felt is of high quality and finely Finished. Interesting shorter length Bow which appears to be a Mayser Ulm trademark (based on my three Mayser Ulm Stiff Felts). The Liner has slightly transparent lightweight sides. Anton Ils Neiderlage / Warehouse was out of Ulm a. /D. so same location as Mayser Ulm. I have Silk Top Hat from Anton Ils Ulm a. / D. Came with a very nice light weight Case.

52917687513_69db2986f5_h.jpg

52917233351_9b56fcf5ac_h.jpg

52917497300_b37beff947_h.jpg

52917681083_7b3a7d630e_h.jpg

52916643807_3a4f067448_h.jpg

52916634367_9c5f439420_h.jpg

Light Weight Case

52917818188_6cefd6ecd5_h.jpg

52917517244_03b5dd6454_h.jpg

Well, here's another one to compare it to.
The story: our fellow lounger Randy McCamey @Rmccamey picked up a Stetsonian bowler hat that didn't fit him. He suggested a trade and challenged me to find a bowler that was fitting for his collection. I pride myself a bit for putting him on the track more or less with sending him a Kaller bowler to get a taste for them (we can say it workedand then some - I did not foresee it taking this form;)). Anyway; challenge accepted and some time passes without anything of note showing up (at a decent price at least). Then this one came along.

Mayser bowler in black. Size 57 with the quit narrow brim at 4,7cm and the crown 13cm or thereabouts. This an oldie and the liner alone is worth the price of admission. At least I think so.

mayser bowler57_01.jpg

mayser bowler57_02.jpg

mayser bowler57_03.jpg

mayser bowler57_04.jpg

mayser bowler57_05.jpg

mayser bowler57_06.jpg

mayser bowler57_07.jpg

mayser bowler57_08.jpg

mayser bowler57_09.jpg

mayser bowler57_10.jpg

The Shoe

One Too Many
The story: our fellow lounger Randy McCamey @Rmccamey picked up a Stetsonian bowler hat that didn't fit him. He suggested a trade and challenged me to find a bowler that was fitting for his collection. I pride myself a bit for putting him on the track more or less with sending him a Kaller bowler to get a taste for them (we can say it workedand then some - I did not foresee it taking this form;)). Anyway; challenge accepted and some time passes without anything of note showing up (at a decent price at least). Then this one came along.

Mayser bowler in black. Size 57 with the quit narrow brim at 4,7cm and the crown 13cm or thereabouts. This an oldie and the liner alone is worth the price of admission. At least I think so.

mayser bowler57_01.jpg

mayser bowler57_02.jpg

mayser bowler57_03.jpg

mayser bowler57_04.jpg

mayser bowler57_05.jpg

mayser bowler57_06.jpg

mayser bowler57_07.jpg

mayser bowler57_08.jpg

mayser bowler57_09.jpg

mayser bowler57_10.jpg
None of the pictures are showing up :oops:

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Wonderful, Stefan. I love everything about this Mayser and I can't wait to get it on my head. My Kaller is still a favorite. Thanks to you, my bowler tally is quickly approaching that of my fedoras and homburgs, so, yes, the bowler bug has bitten me hard!

mayser bowler57_01.jpg

mayser bowler57_02.jpg

mayser bowler57_03.jpg

mayser bowler57_04.jpg

mayser bowler57_05.jpg

mayser bowler57_06.jpg

mayser bowler57_07.jpg

mayser bowler57_08.jpg

mayser bowler57_09.jpg

mayser bowler57_10.jpg

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up

mayser bowler57_01.jpg

mayser bowler57_02.jpg

mayser bowler57_03.jpg

mayser bowler57_04.jpg

mayser bowler57_05.jpg

mayser bowler57_06.jpg

mayser bowler57_07.jpg

mayser bowler57_08.jpg

mayser bowler57_09.jpg

mayser bowler57_10.jpg
It's very strange, Stefan, but as Gary mentions here and in another thread, your photos aren't showing up.

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Stetson Standard bowler. Imported for hat-retailer JS Meuwsen. Size 7 (English sizing though. so 7 1/8 American) with the brim at 5cm and the crown at 12cm (-ish). Seller stated that the original owner wore his hats during the WWII period, which seems likely for this one (and impossible for the others), judging by the manufacturing label. Anyway before Stetson started licensing their brand for the European market. In excellent condition and weighs 175 grams (not a lightweight). I'll post the labels and whatnot in the bowler thread.

stetson standard meuwsen_01.jpg

stetson standard meuwsen_02.jpg

stetson standard meuwsen_03.jpg

stetson standard meuwsen_04.jpg

stetson standard meuwsen_05.jpg

stetson standard meuwsen_06.jpg

stetson standard meuwsen_07.jpg

stetson standard meuwsen_08.jpg

stetson standard meuwsen_09.jpg

stetson standard meuwsen_10.jpg

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Arrived this week. Herbert Johnson bowler in brown. Size 56 (instead of the advertised size 57) with the bound brim at just under 5cm and the crown at 11,5cm. It's a bowler of modest proportions. The felt is very thin with a nice hand and the hat is remarkably lightweight at only 103 grams. The finishing is excellent overall. The style is called Amylyie Smooth Lingfield, which is a mouthful.
Herbert Johnson hats don't show up much and usually at inflated prices. As it mentions her majesty the queen it is post 1952, but likely not by much.

herbert bowler_01.jpg

herbert bowler_02.jpg

herbert bowler_03.jpg

herbert bowler_04.jpg

herbert bowler_05.jpg

herbert bowler_06.jpg

herbert bowler_07.jpg

herbert bowler_08.jpg

herbert bowler_09.jpg

herbert bowler_11.jpg

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Arrived this week. Herbert Johnson bowler in brown. Size 56 (instead of the advertised size 57) with the bound brim at just under 5cm and the crown at 11,5cm. It's a bowler of modest proportions. The felt is very thin with a nice hand and the hat is remarkably lightweight at only 103 grams. The finishing is excellent overall. The style is called Amylyie Smooth Lingfield, which is a mouthful.
Herbert Johnson hats don't show up much and usually at inflated prices. As it mentions her majesty the queen it is post 1952, but likely not by much.

herbert bowler_01.jpg

herbert bowler_02.jpg

herbert bowler_03.jpg

herbert bowler_04.jpg

herbert bowler_05.jpg

herbert bowler_06.jpg

herbert bowler_07.jpg

herbert bowler_08.jpg

herbert bowler_09.jpg

herbert bowler_11.jpg
Herbert Johnson 1950s tight proportioned Bowler. What's not to like.

Great find, Stefan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana