Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Brim and The Crown

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Hi Everyone, this is just a post to alert you hat a new book has been published recently as a guide to Custom hatters in the US and Worldwide. I was asked to help but my contribution was minimal. Here is the Amazon link to it. I can't find a website for it yet, maybe Mark will join in with more info.
//www.amazon.com/Brim-Crown-Custom-Hatters-Abroad/dp/0940675226

Hi Everyone, this is just a post to alert you hat a new book has been published recently as a guide to Custom hatters in the US and Worldwide. I was asked to help but my contribution was minimal. Here is the Amazon link to it. I can't find a website for it yet, maybe Mark will join in with more info.
Order placed....delivery by Jan 11th. I had an idea for my wife and I to get in our motorhome and do a tour of the US to interview and photo document the classic custom fedora makers. It would have been a fun trip......but then this thing called covid intervened.

Great idea for a road trip, and an incredibly understanding wife.
Yes AND I got lucky and have a wife that loves loves loves road trips. I have to promise to stop for regular pee breaks and to be done for the day by 3;30PM latest. Her limit: parked and set up, sitting in our gravity chairs with a gin & tonic by 4:00PM at the very latest. If I adhere to that line in the sand then she is good to go. I know I lucked out.

Bill Hughes

My Mail is Forwarded Here

RBH

Bartender
Thanks Art! I got Mike a shop copy for Christmas.
Great info in it and it was great to ''hear'' from you too!!!

Mark Elliott

New in Town
As the author of The Brim and the Crown, I wanted to jump into the thread that Art started. I spent 11 months researching and tracking down the best hat makers -- dress and Western -- in the US and abroad. I scoured urban metros, small towns, and suburbs. I believe I found the best hatters in 39 states and 19 countries. And what I learned is that the universe of custom hatters is large and expanding. As you know, there is no epicenter of hat making in the US or abroad, but I can tell you this: there are more custom dress hatters in Portland OR, Los Angeles, and New York City than anywhere else in the US; Texas has more custom Western hatters than the Southwest, Midwest, and Rocky Mountain states combined; that regional hatters in Arizona, Colorado, Utah, Louisiana, and Montana, are doing extraordinary work; and Austria, Australia, France, Italy, Sweden, and the UK are worth spending a little more on shipping. Why did I write the book? Because the same hatters' names kept popping up again and again, and I just knew there was more talent out there. FYI: The Brim and the Crown is available on Amazon in print and eBook formats. If you need the names of hatters in your area, email me at thebrimandthecrown@gmail.com - Mark

Last edited:
As the author of The Brim and the Crown: A Field Guide to Custom Hatters & Hat Shops in the US and Abroad, I wanted to jump into the thread that Art started. I spent 11 months researching and tracking down the best hat makers -- dress and Western -- in the US and abroad. I scoured cities, towns, and suburbs; metros and the windswept Plains. I found the best hatters in 39 states and 19 countries, and what I learned is that the universe of custom hatters is large and expanding. As you know, there is no one epicenter of hat making in the US or abroad, but I can tell you this: there are more custom dress hatters in Portland OR, Los Angeles, and New York City than anywhere else in the US; that Texas has more Western hatters than the Southwest, Midwest, and Rocky Mountain states combined; that regional hatters in Arizona, Colorado, Louisiana, and Montana, are doing extraordinary work; and that Austria, Australia, France, Italy, Sweden, and the UK are worth spending a little more on shipping. Why did I write the book? Because the same hatters' names kept popping up month after month, and I just knew there was more talent out there. FYI: The Brim and the Crown is available on Amazon in print and eBook formats. If you need the names of hatters in your area, email me at thebrimandthecrown@gmail.com - Mark
Mine is on order, scheduled delivery on Tuesday!

Bill Hughes

My Mail is Forwarded Here
As the author of The Brim and the Crown: A Field Guide to Custom Hatters & Hat Shops in the US and Abroad, I wanted to jump into the thread that Art started. I spent 11 months researching and tracking down the best hat makers -- dress and Western -- in the US and abroad. I scoured cities, towns, and suburbs; metros and the windswept Plains. I found the best hatters in 39 states and 19 countries, and what I learned is that the universe of custom hatters is large and expanding. As you know, there is no one epicenter of hat making in the US or abroad, but I can tell you this: there are more custom dress hatters in Portland OR, Los Angeles, and New York City than anywhere else in the US; that Texas has more Western hatters than the Southwest, Midwest, and Rocky Mountain states combined; that regional hatters in Arizona, Colorado, Louisiana, and Montana, are doing extraordinary work; and that Austria, Australia, France, Italy, Sweden, and the UK are worth spending a little more on shipping. Why did I write the book? Because the same hatters' names kept popping up month after month, and I just knew there was more talent out there. FYI: The Brim and the Crown is available on Amazon in print and eBook formats. If you need the names of hatters in your area, email me at thebrimandthecrown@gmail.com - Mark
Do you anticipate it becoming an iBook?

Mark Elliott

New in Town
Hi Frunobulax. I considered an index, but chose to do alphabetical, state-by-state, country-by-country listings for their efficiency. If you get (ir download) the book, you’ll see how quick it is to locate hatters and shops.

Thanks for the reply, Mark. I have had the book for several weeks. As the hatters are organized by region/state, you need to figure out what region your state might be in and where it is in the book, then find your state, and look for a hatter. I have not found a way to efficiently look for a hatter in, say Tennessee by looking up the state in an alphabetical listing; I first have to find that region in the book, and there are no references in the ToC to indicate what page that region is on - you have to flip back and forth to find it's in "Mid-Atlantic States" on pp. 69, then you can find Tennessee. You can't just turn to the "T"s and find it.

Cross-referencing in an index for hatters would also be helpful. I may have the name of a hatter but not know where they are located. So I can't just look up "Peters Bros." and find them in Texas, I'd have to page through the entire book to find them in the section arranged by geographic region.

It's an interesting book with some good information in it, I just find the navigation a bit cumbersome.

Mark Elliott

New in Town
That’s verrrrry helpful. I guess I didn’t think through the navigation problem as carefully as I thought. I’m curious: did the book introduce you to the witk of hatters other than the ones you knew?

I've approached the book by reading it from the beginning to the end, so yes, I've learned about quite a few hatters I wasn't aware of. You can gain a lot of knowledge from it. I think the specialty sections are very useful, though I'll never be in the market for reenactor headgear.

I found the plot hard to follow and only limited character development, though.:p

dkstott

Practically Family
As the author of The Brim and the Crown, I wanted to jump into the thread that Art started. I spent 11 months researching and tracking down the best hat makers -- dress and Western -- in the US and abroad. I scoured urban metros, small towns, and suburbs. I believe I found the best hatters in 39 states and 19 countries. And what I learned is that the universe of custom hatters is large and expanding. As you know, there is no epicenter of hat making in the US or abroad, but I can tell you this: there are more custom dress hatters in Portland OR, Los Angeles, and New York City than anywhere else in the US; Texas has more custom Western hatters than the Southwest, Midwest, and Rocky Mountain states combined; that regional hatters in Arizona, Colorado, Utah, Louisiana, and Montana, are doing extraordinary work; and Austria, Australia, France, Italy, Sweden, and the UK are worth spending a little more on shipping. Why did I write the book? Because the same hatters' names kept popping up again and again, and I just knew there was more talent out there. FYI: The Brim and the Crown is available on Amazon in print and eBook formats. If you need the names of hatters in your area, email me at thebrimandthecrown@gmail.com - Mark
I was at DelMonico Hatter recently and they've got a copy on display in the store.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko