Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Brotherhood of the Thin Ribbon

The Good

Call Me a Cab
J.B. - if you don't mind me asking, is the crown height on that OR 4"? Maybe it's just your photos, but it looks taller, like an older OR. The low crown on these new ones is the reason I've stayed away, but yours looks excellent on you. Reminds me of Casey Affleck in "The Killer Inside Me." Keep those grandparents. Merry Christmas. Frank

Oh, actually the height of the hat, where the lowest point of the top of the crown is (the part that literally sits on the head) about 4 1/5 inches or something. Not strictly 4 inches. The height of the side domes (from which the cattleman's crease goes into) is 5 inches or so. I would say that it feels like a low crowned hat, as it's not something I can pull down to my ears, it just rests on top. I'm still trying to get it fitting though; I wore it on a hike hoping that the sweat would gradually allow for the leather band to conform. It still feels loose, but I bought it with that intention.

Tone

A-List Customer
The GOOD, great hat. Plenty of tradition behind your Open Road. :eusa_clap

Here's some pics of one of my Bushman's which I think should qualify me for admittance into the Brotherhood of the Thin Ribbon ? :)

Bushman1.jpg

Bushman1-1.jpg

Without a doubt, my all-time favorite Akubra! I've had a Bushman since long before the "Akubra Overload" thread ever got started; and even with all that time, it's still a fantastic hat and one of the few I've kept! Yours also looks SUPERB, btw! Nice to see variants other than a diamond or teardrop once in a while. ;) I really like your choice on styling that. The Bushman is just a great balance for an anywhere hat.

Last edited:

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
The GOOD, great hat. Plenty of tradition behind your Open Road. :eusa_clap

Without a doubt, my all-time favorite Akubra! I've had a Bushman since long before the "Akubra Overload" thread ever got started; and even with all that time, it's still a fantastic hat and one of the few I've kept! Yours also looks SUPERB, btw! Nice to see variants other than a diamond or teardrop once in a while. ;) I really like your choice on styling that. The Bushman is just a great balance for an anywhere hat.

Tone,
Thanks. This one shown is my second Bushman I got 3.5 years ago. I bought my first back when I got back from 'Nam in 1971 when I went up to Seattle. It's almost worn out by now as it was my ONLY felt for the past 30 years! I wear this one almost 1/2 the time I put a felt on my head. :)

marshack

New in Town
I have a 7 3/4 hat size, but also require 4 1/2" of crown height for the hat to sit down far enough on my head.

Does anyone know if a Camp Draft can be bashed into a C-Crown and still leave me with 4 1/2 inches for my head to fit?

If a Camp Draft can't "cut it" are there any other thin ribbon hats that will work?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have a 7 3/4 hat size, but also require 4 1/2" of crown height for the hat to sit down far enough on my head.

Does anyone know if a Camp Draft can be bashed into a C-Crown and still leave me with 4 1/2 inches for my head to fit?

If a Camp Draft can't "cut it" are there any other thin ribbon hats that will work?

Thanks for any help you can give.

My Campdraft is in a teardrop shape right now, and the top of the dome is at 4.5''. Leaves about a centimeter between the top of my head and the inner surface of the dome. I never realized how comfy the hat was when it wasn't touching the top of your head, but now I know :).

frussell

One Too Many
marshack - I'm in nearly the same boat as you, and Campdrafts work just fine for me. I'm a 7 3/4 extra long oval, more or less, and usually order a size 63 and let it settle down to my size after a few weeks of wear. I've got a similar hat on order from Biltmore through Miller Hats, I'll post the dimensions if it looks like a winner. Email Hatsdirect to see what they have in your size, they don't always have everything listed, and often have a 63 or 62 hanging around in several colors. Good Luck, Frank

Thanks Dan... it's never been worn. It was received as an honorarium by a NYC man (former mayoral candidate amongst other things) who had a number of nice western hats that he didn't wear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy