Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Brotherhood of the Thin Ribbon

Do Stratoliners work? I've got a dark brown Sears Golden Pilgrim with a olive thin ribbon & edge binding. Of COURSE thin ribbon Black Cherry works. But what did you expect to hear in this corner of the Lounge????
Okay, I need advice from the thin ribbon crowd. Please, don't tell anyone over in the Art Fawcett thread my question-they will consider it blasphemy!shhhhhhhh

I am in cue with Art for a Black Cherry. I want to keep it on the casual side of things and also make it different. Does anyone have an opinion on whether a thin ribbon black cherry would "work"? At first I dismissed the thought, but then I started wondering. I see something in that ballpark on page 32 of this thread and I like it.

5124354018_7cfc497cd5_z.jpg
5120681517_565a091b21_z.jpg
Absolutely LOVELY Robert. Thanks for posting...

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Okay, I need advice from the thin ribbon crowd. Please, don't tell anyone over in the Art Fawcett thread my question-they will consider it blasphemy!shhhhhhhh

I am in cue with Art for a Black Cherry. I want to keep it on the casual side of things and also make it different. Does anyone have an opinion on whether a thin ribbon black cherry would "work"? At first I dismissed the thought, but then I started wondering. I see something in that ballpark on page 32 of this thread and I like it.

I think it would work great with the same oxblood ribbon color that Optimo used on my black cherry hat.

DRB

One Too Many
RLK, both hats are great but the first one is a real beauty! Unique in color and design.

MarkD

One of the Regulars

I think oxblood for sure for the color and a thin ribbon definitely would be cool. I would be in a dilemma like you are between a thin and say a one inch. Art's ribbons are so awesome I think I would be tempted to bump it up a little.

Steve that hat is great. I love 'em "in action".

RLK.......WOW!

Jabos

A-List Customer
Thanks for the black cherry advice. Mark, that is the dilemma. I know Art feels a bit creatively stifled with a thin ribbon. I was thinking a black cherry strat clone.

Jabos

A-List Customer
I think it would work great with the same oxblood ribbon color that Optimo used on my black cherry hat.
Do you think the ribbon art has been using on his black cherries is that color? To me the colors of the Art black cherry and the opt. Oxblood felts also look the same, at least on my monitor. What do you think?

Last edited:

BobC

Do you think the ribbon art has been using on his black cherries is that color? To me the colors of the Art black cherry and the opt. Oxblood felts also look the same, at least on my monitor. What do you think?

I went back through Art's Hall of Fame to find Bart's black cherry, and the color seems to be very similar if not the same. I think that color combo would make a very sharp looking Strat clone. I'd be interested in seeing that color combination in a thin ribbon model and suspect I might be interested in ordering one myself. I'm sure the thin ribbon would make a more casual lid that in my case would be quite a bit more useful to me and that I would wear a lot more than I do my Optimo. The question, in my mind, becomes does Art have that color or something close in a thin ribbon?

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Het guys,
I have 2 Akubra Bushmans, both have thin ribbons, so I could qualify for the Brotherhood? Sorry no pics but I'm sure you know the hats, an exclusive with DM. :)

Jabos

A-List Customer
I went back through Art's Hall of Fame to find Bart's black cherry, and the color seems to be very similar if not the same. I think that color combo would make a very sharp looking Strat clone. I'd be interested in seeing that color combination in a thin ribbon model and suspect I might be interested in ordering one myself. I'm sure the thin ribbon would make a more casual lid that in my case would be quite a bit more useful to me and that I would wear a lot more than I do my Optimo. The question, in my mind, becomes does Art have that color or something close in a thin ribbon?
It was your comment about yours being so formal that got me thinking perhaps to go thin or strat. I had assumed that if art had ribbon fo a brim edge he would use the same for the crown ribbon. If it doesn't work I can always get art to do another ribbon. I figure he probably doesn't have a wind trolley for it.

BobC

Jabos, I like MarkD's and Tom's idea too. If not a thin ribbon then a thinner ribbon as in a Stetson Playboy clone. That would give Art some more latitude in working his ribbon magic on the hat.

T Rick

Practically Family
Gentlemen, with these three, might I humbly submit my Membership application? Bluegrass Green Camp Draft in the back, the others are both Open Roads (semi-vintage, unknown years- both predate Metric sizes being added to the labels if that helps).

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

DRB

One Too Many
T Rick: Those hats are very nice. I don't think anyone here would object to you joining the club. The newbie buys the first round.:D

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I'd like to enter the brotherhood.

Photoon2010-12-25at1604.jpg

It's a modern Stetson Open Road. I got it this Christmas as a gift from my grandparents. As for how I wear it, this picture pretty much sums it up. I wear it a bit turned down in the front, and with a slight brim curl.

frussell

One Too Many
J.B. - if you don't mind me asking, is the crown height on that OR 4"? Maybe it's just your photos, but it looks taller, like an older OR. The low crown on these new ones is the reason I've stayed away, but yours looks excellent on you. Reminds me of Casey Affleck in "The Killer Inside Me." Keep those grandparents. Merry Christmas. Frank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24