Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The brown hat

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
Ok guys as some know I just purchased a beautiful Borsalino Trino in Mahogony brown. The problem is the only cold weather coat I have is black. I know some will say go buy a brown coat but right now (especially after dropping 115 on the hat) that is not an option. I was wondering if only for coat purposes can you ever wear a brown hat with a black overcoat? I have plenty of navy and brown clothes that I feel the hat would go with but I am super worried about how it will look when walking outside. Any help would be appreciated! Also I would like to know other overcoat colors that would go with a brown hat because I am not too fond of brown coats in general. Thanks a bunch!

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't see a problem wearing it with a black coat. I have a very large hat collection and I don't always color coordinate.

Last edited:

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I have a couple of black coats/jackets that I wear my brown hats with. Although it's not an ideal pairing, in my opinion, it doesn't look terrible. I just happen to prefer keeping earth tones, and blacks and grays, in mutually exclusive groups. So I don't think you need to be super-concerned about it.

I have found that I prefer medium to light browns and tan hats with black outerwear, as opposed to darker browns.

gdc

One of the Regulars
Browns can work with greys too. I have a Borsalino Torino in a medium brown (mocha) with a 2" black band that is pretty versatile. Do you have a pic of the Borso?

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Historyteach24, I have the same setup: My one topcoat is black, and a lot of my hats are medium to dark brown. I try not to let it worry me. Contrast is nice, a lighter brown or tan with the black. But if you have dark brown as your hat color, maybe you could do a light-colored muffler (aka "scarf") to accent the look and break up the dark tones. Just a thought.

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Brown and black are fine.
Black and tan.
Black and gray.
Black and blue.
Black and yellow.
Brown and yellow.
Black and pink -- OK bad example. If you have a pink hat, keep it to yourself.

Black is the new black ... it goes with everything.
I'd like to have a camel or brown car coat to go with my brown fedoras, and my tan and natural fedoras, but I'm not going to sweat it until one happens to show up.

It would be super if they were to start making affordable tweeds again, or if I could wear small sizes, or if I could fall into a great, large, vintage tweed coat.
Until then it will be black coats on days like today.

Sam

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

I have a brown hat to wear the brown, tan, and olive / green things. I have a black hat to wear with black, navy, and gray things. I might be physically unable to wear brown hat with my black leather jacket. Shudder shudder.

Merry Xmas!

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Mike,

That's the way you big city folks get ... too uppity to mix colors!

Actually, I have a black Schrott leather flight jacket and I know what you mean. With that, I almost alway wear my black Squatter. It's my Noir Indy outfit.

But I meant car coats, over coats, black wool, I guess

I don't see anything wrong with a tan or natural hat and I even wear my Fed IV with a black wool car coat when it's cold enough.

Keep Wichita merry this Christmas, friend.

Sam

ShortAndCashed

One of the Regulars
Yeah, not sure exactly what kinda hat I wanna wear with my brown leather (since I don't have any decent black leather) or what kinda coat I want for my black fedora... Choices, choices...

mattface

Practically Family
I like to wear brown hats with reds and browns, but I've got no problem wearing hem with black or grey coats. So many brown hats have black bands, and I've also seen black hats with brown bands. I don't really see how folks can think they don't go together.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Mike,

That's the way you big city folks get ... too uppity to mix colors!
Keep Wichita merry this Christmas, friend.

Sam

Nope, not that. Just Computer Engineer, now Safety Engineer too retentive to mix colors.

Have a good Xmas in the Bend.

Later

Ordinary Guy

One Too Many
Give yourself a nice Christmas gift of a brown and black scarf....

Try to match the brown in the scarf to your hat or the ribbon ( assuming the ribbon is a shade of brown )

draping the scarf around your neck or under the coat collar and leaving it hang loosely down the front will help make it blend quite nicely....

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Give yourself a nice Christmas gift of a brown and black scarf....

Try to match the brown in the scarf to your hat or the ribbon ( assuming the ribbon is a shade of brown )

draping the scarf around your neck or under the coat collar and leaving it hang loosely down the front will help make it blend quite nicely....

OG .... Now THAT is a great idea and one that I am going to take up!

I wear a scarf all winter here and this year it seems like brown is fairly easy to find. I'm on the hunt.
Thanks,

Sam

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24