The Cavalry Hat

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Agent_of_Empire, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Lefty

Lefty I'll Lock Up

2. Daoud

Daoud One of the Regulars

The Army has "covers" now? In my day only Marines and other sailors had "covers." We had hats and caps and helmets but no covers........

3. Goose.

Goose. Practically Family

Thank you Lone Ranger for the Regiment ID wearing the brown.
    The pic is certainly appreciated as well. That headgear looks great.

4. alden405

alden405 A-List Customer

worth noting that just prior to and during ww2 the regulatiosn called for the cords to be tacked down to remove the rattle sound

i also have an interview with a ww2 horseman saying that on manouvers they tied black or navy bandanas over the hat cords and DIs to reduce the chance of glint and flare

5. liten

liten One of the Regulars

campaign hat

you got to watch dirty bills hat, watch you see isnt always what you get:rage:

6. Martinis at 8

Martinis at 8 Practically Family

I used to be the CDR of B Trp, 3d ACR (this was in the 80's when 3d ACR was at Ft. Bliss). I never cared for this type of memorabilia, and never wore it. For some reason I found it cartoonish. I don't recall ever seeing it worn at change-of-command ceremonies, at least not at mine. I did have some of the spurs gifted to me, but never wore those either. I do recall 11th ACR and 2d ACR wearing this stuff at various functions like dining-ins/outs back in FRG. I guess the wearing of this is dictated by whoever the HMFIC is at the time.

My son is headed down range in a few months with a Stryker brigade.

7. riffraff

riffraff New in Town

Just wanted to add some miscellaneous info -- understanding this thread is 11 years old!

In addition to the brown stetson/cav hat shown, D-3/5 Cav ((Vietnam) and later reflagged to C/3-17 in 1971) wore gray stetsons. Image is from the VNHPA website

[​IMG]

Bamaboots and BobHufford like this.
  8. riffraff

riffraff New in Town

Thought I would add my cav-hat spin-off. When I switched from the Army to USAF, I brought my Cav hat tradition with me -- much to the dismay of my boss! Both are Stetson-brand

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 18, 2021