Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Cavalry Hat

bbc1969

Familiar Face
Fredthecat said:
Thanks for this thread. Learning lots. Still lots to learn.

Hey bbc1969,
That’s a keeper…nice hat!

Can you please post or PM more photos (including inside) of your “1883 pattern w/snowflake vents”?

What are dimensions of brim and crown?

How does one order that from F. Burgess & Co.?
Do they have a catalog or do you have to go to NJ?

Thanks for the kind words. I will get some more pictures taken in the next day or so.

I purchased this hat over ten years ago. Based on my websearch, I don't know that F. Burgess is still in business. But I believe that there is another company out there that does these hats.

I will try and get some dimensions as well.

edited to add: There is a link on page one of the thread to dirty billys hats. They have this hat listed.

Agent_of_Empire

New in Town
alden405 said:
The hat cords are to show,corps,branh and rank.That keeping the soldier awake is incorrect.
Regards
Sam
P.S also worth mention the term "Campaign Hat"

The ACORNS are what smack against the hat while you ride - to keep you awake while you ride. So they say...

Knots in your chord also show the number of combat tours.

Agent_of_Empire

New in Town
Also, most posts heavy on Cav units sell them at clothing sales, and US Cavalry (the gear store) sells them as part of their catalog now for about the last year or so - they only sell the black though.

Torpedo

One Too Many
Agent, thank you for the informative post, and thanks also to the other loungers who provided new details. I think the Cav hat is a commendable tradition.

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I like them all, all kinds, but especially the M1883 like bbc1969 posted. Your Cav hat is terrific looking and I love this thread. Thank you for posting.

dean

Bob Smalser

One of the Regulars
My youngest son happens to also be a cavalryman in Iraq. He reports the campaign hat incompatible with his current horse.

358576906.jpg

Goose.

Practically Family
Yep. Great thread!
Always had hat envy for those units/individuals. Proud tradition.

Pat, what current unit is using the brown? Curious.

Goose.

11B1P w/ P38-Expert Qualification
465674448_wz7k8-Ti.jpg

Lone_Ranger

Practically Family
I believe it's the 11th ACR (Blackhorse RGT) Judging by the shoulder patch.

browncav2.jpg

It actually does go better with the current pattern ACU's than the black hat.

I found this old article too, on the phasing out of the 1911 campaign hat during WWI. (From a 1919edition of Stars and Stripes) Similiar to the way the A-2 was phased out during WWII because the supply of leather wasn't able to keep up with the demand for new jackets, so the newer B-15 (?) was phased in, even though the A-2's were still being issued.

http://www.oldmagazinearticles.com/pdf/Old Campaign Hat.pdf

"The campaign hat was found to be an awkward article to care for in forward areas. where men were obliged to wear the steel helmet. It could not be carried in the pack and when attached to belt or pack carrier it presented a very unmilitary appearance. At the direction of the Commanderin-Chief a cap was developed which could either be work under the helmet or conveniently carried in blouse pocket. These were known as oversea caps and as soon as available they superseded the campaign hat."

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here is a stetson I received from Colt when I bought some black powder pistols.
DSCN2149.jpg

DSCN2151.jpg

DSCN2152.jpg

DSCN2157.jpg

DSCN2159.jpg

DSCN2161.jpg

Pat_H

A-List Customer
Lone_Ranger said:
I believe it's the 11th ACR (Blackhorse RGT) Judging by the shoulder patch.

browncav2.jpg

It actually does go better with the current pattern ACU's than the black hat.

I found this old article too, on the phasing out of the 1911 campaign hat during WWI. (From a 1919edition of Stars and Stripes) Similiar to the way the A-2 was phased out during WWII because the supply of leather wasn't able to keep up with the demand for new jackets, so the newer B-15 (?) was phased in, even though the A-2's were still being issued.

http://www.oldmagazinearticles.com/pdf/Old Campaign Hat.pdf

"The campaign hat was found to be an awkward article to care for in forward areas. where men were obliged to wear the steel helmet. It could not be carried in the pack and when attached to belt or pack carrier it presented a very unmilitary appearance. At the direction of the Commanderin-Chief a cap was developed which could either be work under the helmet or conveniently carried in blouse pocket. These were known as oversea caps and as soon as available they superseded the campaign hat."

The article is inaccurate, however. That uniform item, along with several others that supposedly were going to be phased out, were not. According to period Stars and Stripes, the campaign hat was on the way out, and so were breaches. Both would stick around.

The M1911 actually saw a lot more use in WWI than people imagine. However, it was a bulky hat to store, and as more US troops arrived in France, the French type of garrison cap came to predominate in Europe for the U.S. Army. Not all armies reacted similarly, however, as the Australians kept on with their traditional hat, and the New Zealanders kept on with the Lemon squeezer.

It is the 11th ACR.

Pat_H

A-List Customer
DOUGLAS said:
Here is a stetson I received from Colt when I bought some black powder pistols.
DSCN2149.jpg

DSCN2151.jpg

DSCN2152.jpg

DSCN2157.jpg

DSCN2159.jpg

DSCN2161.jpg

Nice example. That cap, with a yellow hat cord, would make a perfect modern cavalryman's hat.

It isn't too far removed, in styling from some unofficially used hats from the 1860s and 70s either.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Agent_of_Empire said:
Also, most posts heavy on Cav units sell them at clothing sales, and US Cavalry (the gear store) sells them as part of their catalog now for about the last year or so - they only sell the black though.

That's a hefty price tag for wool felt! They look like very stiff, permanently shaped hats, rather than the cool lid you were showing off. :(

Agent_of_Empire

New in Town
They have switched up the hats from time to time.... Mine is a Stetson, like I said, and I believe is XX it is a pretty rigid hat though and takes a good bit of steam to shape anything.

kiltie

Practically Family
bbc1969 said:
I thought I would throw in a picture of my 1883 pattern w/snowflake vents. This came from F. Burgess.

IMG_1137.jpg

I was immediately impressed with this one!!! So much so that I spent the next ( at least ) hour looking for one. I found several repro outfitters that had similar hats in wool, and they could even do the vents in snowflakes or stars. I also found a couple of originals in the $1500 range :eek: , but not good fur models. F Burgess no longer has an active website, from what I could find. But finally, there was this:

http://www.limpiacreekhats.com/pricing.php

Fifth on down, at $350. YIPES! But man, is that a cool picture. Plus, I've lived in Texas all my life and never had a "western" - at least not shaped as a western [huh] . Maybe this is the one.... That is a really great pic.

The whole thread, in fact, has been a lot of fun. Thanks for kicking this one off, Agent.

Fredthecat

One of the Regulars
I also fell in love with bbc1969’s F. Burgess hat and spent time wondering ...Who makes, and who currently sells a good accurate reproduction of M1883 Enlisted Men’s Campaign Hat, $100-200, tan/brown fur felt, with stitched edge brim and snowflake vents?

Oh, and Hooah!

bbc1969

Familiar Face
Fredthecat said:
I also fell in love with bbc1969’s F. Burgess hat and spent time wondering ...Who makes, and who currently sells a good accurate reproduction of M1883 Enlisted Men’s Campaign Hat, $100-200, tan/brown fur felt, with stitched edge brim and snowflake vents?

Oh, and Hooah!

Dirty Billy's Hats has the 1883 for $125.00 it appears. Plus $10.00 for officers brim.

http://www.dirtybillyshats.com/

I have had my 1883 for 10-12 years. At the time I think I gave $85-100 If I recall correctly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24