The Cavalry Hat

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Agent_of_Empire, Mar 17, 2009.

1. yoyochango

yoyochango New in Town

a great place to find them is @ surplus stores ive seen em there all the time in a variety of millitary branches

2. Splitcoil

Splitcoil One of the Regulars

Thanks!

Thank you for sharing, Agent. And thank you for serving.

3. bbc1969

bbc1969 Familiar Face

Thanks for the kind words. I will get some more pictures taken in the next day or so.

I purchased this hat over ten years ago. Based on my websearch, I don't know that F. Burgess is still in business. But I believe that there is another company out there that does these hats.

I will try and get some dimensions as well.

edited to add: There is a link on page one of the thread to dirty billys hats. They have this hat listed.

4. Agent_of_Empire

Agent_of_Empire New in Town

The ACORNS are what smack against the hat while you ride - to keep you awake while you ride. So they say...

Knots in your chord also show the number of combat tours.

5. Agent_of_Empire

Also, most posts heavy on Cav units sell them at clothing sales, and US Cavalry (the gear store) sells them as part of their catalog now for about the last year or so - they only sell the black though.

6. Torpedo

Torpedo One Too Many

Agent, thank you for the informative post, and thanks also to the other loungers who provided new details. I think the Cav hat is a commendable tradition.

7. deanglen

deanglen My Mail is Forwarded Here

I like them all, all kinds, but especially the M1883 like bbc1969 posted. Your Cav hat is terrific looking and I love this thread. Thank you for posting.

dean

8. Wil Tam

Wil Tam Practically Family

great thread!

tis great information to be garnered :eusa_clap

can someone chime in with info on military issued headgear not for civilian use, not helmets but covers?

----------------
    Now playing: Duke Ellington - Breakfast Dance
    via FoxyTunes

9. Bob Smalser

Bob Smalser One of the Regulars

My youngest son happens to also be a cavalryman in Iraq. He reports the campaign hat incompatible with his current horse.

[​IMG]

10. Goose.

Goose. Practically Family

Yep. Great thread!
    Always had hat envy for those units/individuals. Proud tradition.

Pat, what current unit is using the brown? Curious.

Goose.

11B1P w/ P38-Expert Qualification
    [​IMG]

11. Lone_Ranger

Lone_Ranger Practically Family

I believe it's the 11th ACR (Blackhorse RGT) Judging by the shoulder patch.

[​IMG]

It actually does go better with the current pattern ACU's than the black hat.

I found this old article too, on the phasing out of the 1911 campaign hat during WWI. (From a 1919edition of Stars and Stripes) Similiar to the way the A-2 was phased out during WWII because the supply of leather wasn't able to keep up with the demand for new jackets, so the newer B-15 (?) was phased in, even though the A-2's were still being issued.

http://www.oldmagazinearticles.com/pdf/Old Campaign Hat.pdf

"The campaign hat was found to be an awkward article to care for in forward areas. where men were obliged to wear the steel helmet. It could not be carried in the pack and when attached to belt or pack carrier it presented a very unmilitary appearance. At the direction of the Commanderin-Chief a cap was developed which could either be work under the helmet or conveniently carried in blouse pocket. These were known as oversea caps and as soon as available they superseded the campaign hat."

12. DOUGLAS

DOUGLAS My Mail is Forwarded Here

Here is a stetson I received from Colt when I bought some black powder pistols.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Pat_H

Pat_H A-List Customer

The article is inaccurate, however. That uniform item, along with several others that supposedly were going to be phased out, were not. According to period Stars and Stripes, the campaign hat was on the way out, and so were breaches. Both would stick around.

The M1911 actually saw a lot more use in WWI than people imagine. However, it was a bulky hat to store, and as more US troops arrived in France, the French type of garrison cap came to predominate in Europe for the U.S. Army. Not all armies reacted similarly, however, as the Australians kept on with their traditional hat, and the New Zealanders kept on with the Lemon squeezer.

It is the 11th ACR.

14. Pat_H

Pat_H A-List Customer

Nice example. That cap, with a yellow hat cord, would make a perfect modern cavalryman's hat.

It isn't too far removed, in styling from some unofficially used hats from the 1860s and 70s either.

15. Not-Bogart13

Not-Bogart13 Call Me a Cab

That's a hefty price tag for wool felt! They look like very stiff, permanently shaped hats, rather than the cool lid you were showing off. :(

16. Agent_of_Empire

They have switched up the hats from time to time.... Mine is a Stetson, like I said, and I believe is XX it is a pretty rigid hat though and takes a good bit of steam to shape anything.

17. kiltie

kiltie Practically Family

I was immediately impressed with this one!!! So much so that I spent the next ( at least ) hour looking for one. I found several repro outfitters that had similar hats in wool, and they could even do the vents in snowflakes or stars. I also found a couple of originals in the $1500 range :eek: , but not good fur models. F Burgess no longer has an active website, from what I could find. But finally, there was this:

http://www.limpiacreekhats.com/pricing.php

Fifth on down, at $350. YIPES! But man, is that a cool picture. Plus, I've lived in Texas all my life and never had a "western" - at least not shaped as a western [huh] . Maybe this is the one.... That is a really great pic.

The whole thread, in fact, has been a lot of fun. Thanks for kicking this one off, Agent.

18. Fredthecat

Fredthecat One of the Regulars

I also fell in love with bbc1969’s F. Burgess hat and spent time wondering ...Who makes, and who currently sells a good accurate reproduction of M1883 Enlisted Men’s Campaign Hat, $100-200, tan/brown fur felt, with stitched edge brim and snowflake vents?

Oh, and Hooah!

19. bbc1969

bbc1969 Familiar Face

Dirty Billy's Hats has the 1883 for $125.00 it appears. Plus $10.00 for officers brim.

http://www.dirtybillyshats.com/

I have had my 1883 for 10-12 years. At the time I think I gave $85-100 If I recall correctly.

20. kiltie

kiltie Practically Family

Thanks for that post. I sent an e-mail to see if it's an in-stock item. I'll post when I hear something.