Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Cavanagh Club

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Brad Bowers said:
I've been meaning to post this booklet for a while. It was probably included when one purchased a hat.

Pages1-2.jpg

Brad

Hard to believe we don't have a John Cavanagh day here on the lounge in honor of the Cavanagh Edge.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Matt Deckard said:
How about the next QM... sounds like a good enough time to celebrate.

If we wanted to do an "official" one, we could always designate January 16th (Cavanagh's birthday) or February 25th (the date of the first patent), as Cavanagh Day.

Something at the QM would be good. It's a long shot that I can make it, but it would be fun.

Brad

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Here's a little goody for your perusal. It's a Cavanagh Gift Certificate hat and box. (Say it with me: It is NOT, I repeat, it is NOT a Salesman's Sample!) I'm guessing that the customers got to keep them after they redeemed them, and it was marked off in the store records that it had been redeemed. Either that, or there were a large number of unreedemed hats, based on the frequency these things turn up on eBay.

CavGift1.jpg

This is the first one I've bought, and I was really surprised by the size of it! The photos on eBay never include any other object to give you a sense of scale.
CavGift2.jpg

CavGift3.jpg

I'm guessing it's 1950s, but that's just a gut feeling. I don't have any experience with these doodads.

Brad

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I would have never guessed that hat to be older than 1960s without the logo. It must have been the most casual hat in the catalog.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Hmm, I guessed it was 1928 to 1936, based on the address, but it has a stitched sweatband seam, which I haven't seen earlier than 1940. I don't know what to think, now.

Any way to tell if the pug is the original to the hat?

Brad

rlk

I'll Lock Up
More details...

4743239532_57ba75e2b0_b.jpg
4743239124_b1ec30b609_b.jpg
4743238730_4039b839ed_b.jpg
4742600757_0541652b72_b.jpg
4742600461_6469abacef_b.jpg

Sweatband is different than any others I've seen on Cavanagh. Pug is nicely and firmly installed and has some aging effects, but who knows?
Fits like a full 7-1/4 despite the tagged size as I can bring the dome of the crown onto my head.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
It's got the '40s style factory tag, along with a size tag I've only seen on other straws. I'd say the pug is original, then. It's got a '40s vibe to it. I guess that address shows up later than '36. Glad it fits you! We don't see near enough Cavanagh casual hats.

Brad

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Brad Bowers said:
It's got the '40s style factory tag, along with a size tag I've only seen on other straws. I'd say the pug is original, then. It's got a '40s vibe to it. I guess that address shows up later than '36. Glad it fits you! We don't see near enough Cavanagh casual hats.

Brad
The 1941 ads show the address as 247 Park Ave at 47th St New York as well.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
rlk said:
The 1941 ads show the address as 247 Park Ave at 47th St New York as well.

A good point! This means it might be a transition from the "247 Park Avenue" address to the later "Park Avenue at 47th Street" one.

Brad

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany