Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Cavanagh Club

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Ephraim Tutt said:
No makers or retailers marks on the sweat?

No, but that's not unusual. On some Cavs I've seen, the only thing stamped on the sweatband is "Cavanagh Edge." Since this hat doesn't have one, it's blank. It would have been nice to see something on it, as it looks really plain.

Brad

rlk

I'll Lock Up
That almost looks like a different hat from the listing[huh] Interesting though. Glad you ended up with it.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
This is perhaps the first-ever Cavanagh advertisement. The shop opened in November 1928 (Sorry, I don't have the actual date yet), and this ad was published November 24, 1928.

11-24-28p53.jpg

Brad

S. Beagles

Familiar Face
Great Cavanagh Info here

Brad you have posted a lot of useful and extraordenary information on the Cavanagh Company and these fine old hats that is priceless. Since purchasing my first Cavanagh a few weeks ago I've been reading through this thread for more info than I have yet to find anywhere on the internet. Have to admit that I'm becoming parcial toward Cavanagh. But looking on EBay doesn't turn up many prospects. Figuring I was lucky when stumbling up on mine unwittingly. Nevertheless, I can see an addiction in the making.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
This is a series of cleverly done ads that tease you along. Each month's ad draws you deeper and deeper into the sumptuous Old-World elegance of the Cavanagh shop, until, in the final ad, we get a glimpse (only a glimpse!) of the hats we so want to try on. And then the ads stop! The only thing left to do is hop on over to Park Avenue and see for ourselves.

Ah, the Cavanagh mystique!

December 29, 1928:
12-29-28p27.jpg

January 26, 1929:
1-26-29p5.jpg

February 23, 1929:
2-23-29p41.jpg

March 23, 1929:
3-23-29p57.jpg

April 27, 1929:
4-27-29p71.jpg

Brad

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Here's an interesting Cavanagh liner that I've never seen before. I'm guessing it's circa 1970. I wonder what their thinking was? Usually the "A Product of Hat Corporation of America" was on printed on the sweatband during this time.

Also, note on the shield that the blue covers both halves!

HCACavanagh.jpg

Brad

Brad Bowers said:
Here's an interesting Cavanagh liner that I've never seen before. I'm guessing it's circa 1970. I wonder what their thinking was? Usually the "A Product of Hat Corporation of America" was on printed on the sweatband during this time.

Also, note on the shield that the blue covers both halves!

HCACavanagh.jpg

Brad

Definitely 1970s. Didn't HCA drop their Resistol dress hats in 1968? After that they did a decent job of consolidating everything. Mallory made by Stetson etc. Cavanagh made by HCA would be just an extension of their thinking at the time. [huh]

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
HCA never had Resistol. They didn't fall under the same corporate umbrella until 1972, when HCA sold their brands to Koracorp, who owned Resistol.

They don't appear to have jettisoned any brands before 1972, though there are several that I call the "Forgotten Brands," such as Byron, Berg, Crofut & Knapp, and Dunlap, brands that had all but disappeared by 1972. They still made them, just not in any great quantities, like Dobbs, Knox, Cavanagh, and Champ.

Brad

Brad Bowers said:
HCA never had Resistol. They didn't fall under the same corporate umbrella until 1972, when HCA sold their brands to Koracorp, who owned Resistol.

They don't appear to have jettisoned any brands before 1972, though there are several that I call the "Forgotten Brands," such as Byron, Berg, Crofut & Knapp, and Dunlap, brands that had all but disappeared by 1972. They still made them, just not in any great quantities, like Dobbs, Knox, Cavanagh, and Champ.

Brad

That's right!:eusa_doh: Koracorp bought Resistol in 1968. It only took a few years to be under the same management though. [huh]
I suppose Dunlap and Knox were really duplicates of each other. They were both higher end hats. It makes sense that one would have to go but they still kept Cavanagh for a while so.......;)

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Cavanagh Hairy Homburg-ish

4404601824_c5c3080a1f_b.jpg

4404602024_d2cb1d92af_b.jpg

4404601612_a47f1cca80.jpg
4403837545_2f74ee7e93.jpg

Quite soft and furry, not stiff. Requires clockwise brushing on underside. Thick but soft black sweatband with United Hatters...Union label on reverse of gold size tab. The liner is glued in currently and A.E.Percy of Napa California has written his name and zip code on the liner under the sweatband. 1960's?

Dreispitz

One Too Many
rlk said:
4404601824_c5c3080a1f_b.jpg

4404602024_d2cb1d92af_b.jpg

4404601612_a47f1cca80.jpg
4403837545_2f74ee7e93.jpg

Quite soft and furry, not stiff. Requires clockwise brushing on underside. Thick but soft black sweatband with United Hatters...Union label on reverse of gold size tab. The liner is glued in currently and A.E.Percy of Napa California has written his name and zip code on the liner under the sweatband. 1960's?

Very nice specimen of a - I guess - Lord´s Hat. And ..... it is a Cavanagh! Lucky you! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
rlk said:

Very nice! Glad you won it.:eusa_clap

Yes, mid- to late-'60s. Is that a raw edge, or is there a Cavanagh Edge hiding inside the curl?

Brad

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Brad Bowers said:
Very nice! Glad you won it.:eusa_clap

Yes, mid- to late-'60s. Is that a raw edge, or is there a Cavanagh Edge hiding inside the curl?

Brad
Thanks Brad. Its a raw edge. Felt quality is of a high standard, but requires regular grooming. Interesting they reproduced a much earlier style[huh]

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
rlk said:
Thanks Brad. Its a raw edge. Felt quality is of a high standard, but requires regular grooming. Interesting they reproduced a much earlier style[huh]

I guess what's old is new again. Looks sharp for a hat from that period. Good ol' Cavanagh.

Brad

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
rlk said:

How does the felt compare to that fuzzy Austrian one you have?

rlk

I'll Lock Up
ScottF said:
How does the felt compare to that fuzzy Austrian one you have?
Its a "hair";) longer and finer(in size) fiber but similar overall effect. The Austrian has that somewhat resilient almost plastic quality I associate with beaver fur fibers while I suspect the Cavanagh is Rabbit/Hare or blend.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
mayserwegener said:
I traded a large size P. & C. Habig to a friend of mine for this Cavanagh.

4404349367_b63ed37c43_b.jpg
Great looking and a very adventurous ribbon color for the conservative Cavanagh.:eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou