Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The classic look.

Wild Root

Gone Home
The last part. It became classic because he wore it.;) Funny, so many mention Fred and Cary but, Gary Cooper and Clark Gable are the ones people looked too for fashion in the day... I think they had "IT" before Astaire and Grant came icons.

=WR=

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Wild Root said:
The last part. It became classic because he wore it.;) Funny, so many mention Fred and Cary but, Gary Cooper and Clark Gable are the ones people looked too for fashion in the day... I think they had "IT" before Astaire and Grant came icons.

=WR=
They have since become eclipsed by Grant and Astaire. Interesting. Even Bogart always looked classic, but he, though iconic, was not traditionally handsome.

Wild Root

Gone Home
I love Grant and Astaire, they were fine actors and Astaire for his dancing... the man looked incredible in tails! His early to late 30's films were fantastic. In the film Broadway Melody of 1940 he wore some clothes and hats that looked very 50's to me... I liked his 30's fashion but, up till 1939 his fashion was very basic and blah... nothing very fancy as it was in years before.

I like Cooper my self, he was a taller man and wore some beautiful styles... he was an icon from day one... and still is but, most of the members here have eclipsed him by focus on the other two. Gable, man, that guy had some fine clothes! Love his early to late 30's work! I recall in the film "Idiot's Delight" he wore an amazing pinstriped suit with a dark shirt and a light tie... I think that's where that look might have been born and he wasn't even connected to the Mob!

For me, it's Cooper and Gable... maybe throw in a young Douglas Fairbanks JR.

=WR=

Wild Root

Gone Home
Yeah! Those were some killer outfits! One outfit I consider to be classic is this one...

WPrt6-1.jpg

I love the four pocket sport jacket... with pleats of course! I have seen this coat worn with out a tie... just a nice light colored turtle neck... that looks pretty classy!

=WR=

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Shhhhhhhhhhh!

Hemingway Jones said:
Cary Grant is another. Was Cary ever seen out of classic attire
Keep it to yourself but CG did have his missteps;)

4-p23.jpg

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Sage Sartorial Advice

Marc Chevalier said:
When you wear your clothes (as opposed to having your clothes wear you),

A man should look as if he had bought his clothes with intelligence, put them on with care, and then forgotten all about them. – Hardy Amies

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran