Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The classic look.

ufguy11

One of the Regulars
What is THE classic look. Is it a wide brim, tall crown, vintage fedora hat with a double brested suit, a pinpoint shirt and cuff links? Or is it a small, stingy brim fedora with a 2 button suit and a skinny tie? Does the classic look always contain a pocket square or fedora? Do you always have to have a suit on to remain looking classic? Or can you wear a pair of jeans a casual polo with a fedora and still be classic? Do you have to be a certain age or have a certain personality or look on your face to be classic like every 1940's actor or dresser? Opinions? Comments?

J.J.

P.S.- Also in hats, accidently wrote it there and forgot to copy and paste to here before i posted.

Wild Root

Gone Home
When I hear the word "Classic" this comes to mind...

5sa0.jpg

The classic period of men's clothes I have always felt was the 30's and 40's. Talking to most, I find that the 40's are considered by a large number of people to have classic style. Men's and women's alike are continuingly reverting back to 30's and 40's fashion for ideas and inspiration.

=WR=

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Wild Root said:
The classic period of men's clothes I have always felt was the 30's and 40's. Talking to most, I find that the 40's are considered by a large number of people to have classic style. Men's and women's alike are continuingly reverting back to 30's and 40's fashion for ideas and inspiration.=WR=

Very well said. All that I know about mens clothes I know from Hemingway Jones. I believe he takes a lot of his style cues from the 30's and 40's.
Wildroot, you are definitely correct in saying that styles often revert back to this era. Why wouldn't they? In my opinion, these decades are the height of fashion.
Also just my opinion, I'm not a big fan of the suit with the skinny tie and the stingy brim. I think this was a twist on classic fashion, but is not true classic. I like the look of a man in a nice pair of jeans with an oxford and a fedora. It's a good look for casual, but once again just my opinion, I don't think this is classic style either.
The picture Wildroot has posted, I think that is the epitome of classic style.
But then again, I'm just a gal, what do I know?

Perhaps this is a good thread for reference:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=8840

I'm of the belief that up till the 80s every era had a style that can be considered classic. Maybe even 20 years from now, I'll discover the charm of 90s style - unlikely, but it may happen.

Up to a few years ago, I never found merit in the style of the early 70s, but then I passed a guy on the street that just had the look down - down to the tan sheepskin coat and droop moustache - and it made me stop and think about it. No, it's not a look I would explore, but I have to admit, there was something classic about it.

I started out in the late 70s with old 60s suits, and then I regressed to 50s, 40s, and just in the last few years, 20s. At this rate I may soon be wearing celluloid collars and high-button shoes, driving about town on a penny-farthing bicycle; indeed, I'm finding the Edwardian look rather appealing right now.

Everyone needs to change their look once in a while - I change mine every other day. But when I go out the door, I make sure that everything goes together and that I'm presentable. I like to think that's what classic style is all about.

Regards,

Senator Jack

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
the word 'classic' doesn't relate to one particular era.
it refers more to the quality and iconic status of a design that has become a part of history. however, it's safe to say that most people here are interested in classic style of the 30s to the 50s.

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Yip.

What do you mean by argument? About what?

Seriously, this runs down to the of 30s vs 40s preference. That's why I asked about the year - 1942?

argument meaning a discussion which started in another thread and spawned its own thread - none of which altered anyone's opinion about whether Scholte's drape look is better than what came before; whether it was well implemented by the majority of tailors or off the rack houses; and whether the almost caricature images one sees of many late 30s-40s suits is a good or bad thing.

Kind of like the discussion over those ridiculous 45" cuffed trousers that are erroneously described as Oxford Baggies.

Noone's opinions are changed, but we get somewhat heated.

bk

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Baron Kurtz said:
argument meaning […]

Sorry for the confusion, I was joking in the direction of "How can there be an argument that overdrapey jackets with wide artificial shoulders are ridiculous?"

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Baron Kurtz said:
Kind of like the discussion over those ridiculous 45" cuffed trousers that are erroneously described as Oxford Bags.

In America, there seems to have been a competition amongst collegiates to have the widest trousers made for them. Whoever wore the widest on campus and to parties, won. (What -- or who -- they won, I don't want to imagine.)

John Held, Jr., the celebrated '20s cartoonist, often dressed his caricatures of American college boys in these absurd "ultrabags".

If I were to wear Oxford bags, I'd choose an ultrabag ... but only for a costume party.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Baron Kurtz said:
... none of which altered anyone's opinion about whether Sholte's drape look is better than what came before;...

It looks better on some body types, and worse on others. If you're taller and have a "v" shaped physique, a drape suit will probably look better on you. Feel free to let this information alter your opinion ;)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy