Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Cleaning Clothes (vintage or other) Thread

BonnieJean

Practically Family
I throw most of my delicates into a lingerie bag and wash in with my regular stuff, but I hang them to dry. I wash my stockings with Hosiery Mate too, but I found it at JC Penney. I like it because you just let your stocking soak 3 minutes and then gently squeeze out the moisture and hang to dry--no rinsing. You'd think this process being so simple that I'd keep up with my hand washing...but no, being a procrastinator with a capital 'P', I'm a little behind.:rolleyes:

Miss Sis

One Too Many
I always seem to have a huge pile of handwashing. How does that happen?

I have a pair of white over the elbow gloves, my Great grandad's paisley scarf and about three petticoats (slips) to wash which arrived throught the post yesterday from my Mother to add to what was already in there.

Even though I don't wear them everyday, I ALWAYS seem to have stockings lurking in the bottom of the washbasket! lol

GOK

One Too Many
I use Lush shower gel to wash my stockings! For unmentionables, I handwash using Ecover. I usually do it every other day so it doesn't mount up. I also handwash most of the clothing I make (if it doesn't get dry cleaned) - it would probably be fine in the machine but I have a new one that I am not quite used to yet. I'd hate to ruin something.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Rinse 'em out in the bathroom sink with a little mild antibacterial liquid soap, roll 'em up in a towel, and hang them over the shower rod to dry. Nothing fancy. I do try to keep ahead of the task though by doing each day's pair before going to bed at night -- keeps the clutter down, and I think it does help to make them last longer if they're washed right after wearing...

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
A garment cleaning question...

Ladies, I was hoping to tap into your vast knowledge by asking a question about cleaning vintage garments. I have a beautiful new look style vintage dress that is made from a copper and black irredescent taffeta. However, the armpits have water stains on them from sweat.

Can anyone recommend ways to remove these marks? I'm half tempted to dunk the entire dress in water, but I am afraid the result may not be good. I am also hesitant to take the dress to the dry cleaner because dry cleaners seem to always do more harm then good when it comes to vintage garments. Plus, the dress has about 30 small black plastic buttons down the front of it and dry cleaning chemicals can sometimes melt vintage buttons.

What do you recommend?

Tourbillion

Practically Family
BeBopBaby said:
Ladies, I was hoping to tap into your vast knowledge by asking a question about cleaning vintage garments. I have a beautiful new look style vintage dress that is made from a copper and black irredescent taffeta. However, the armpits have water stains on them from sweat.

Can anyone recommend ways to remove these marks? I'm half tempted to dunk the entire dress in water, but I am afraid the result may not be good. I am also hesitant to take the dress to the dry cleaner because dry cleaners seem to always do more harm then good when it comes to vintage garments. Plus, the dress has about 30 small black plastic buttons down the front of it and dry cleaning chemicals can sometimes melt vintage buttons.

What do you recommend?

Bad news,
I'd take the buttons off and dry clean it. But discoloration from sweat probably is pemanant.

Oh and don't get it wet, it might be okay if it is silk (but the color would run) but if it is ceylanese (acetate) it would probably be ruined.

pretty faythe

One Too Many
cleaning vintage clothes

I'm putting this here since its a womans suit, not sure if this is the right spot or not though.
Anyway, what is the best way to clean vintage clothing? Dry cleaning? I just got two beautiful outfits, yet they have the "been stored for ever" smell.
Thanks

Sweet Leilani

A-List Customer
I would definitely not dryclean them until you're desperate. Unless it's really sturdy (like a wool coat) most vintage doesn't hold up to harsh drycleaning chemicals- I've learned the hard way!

First, try just hanging them outside to freshen them up. After that, maybe storing them in a box with some lavender or cedar would help (be sure the plant material doesn't directly touch the clothing, though). If that fails, just wear some nice perfume when you wear the clothes! lol

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I hand wash most of my vintage garments, so long as the dye is fairly colorfast and the fabric is still fairly sturdy. I use Ivory soap in cool-warm water and find that Oxyclean works wonders for removing stubborn sweat stains/odor. I roll the items in a towel to remove excess moisture, and then let them air-dry. Crepe fabrics love to shrink once wet, but I find a good steaming brings them back to their proper size with ease.

NicolettaRose

Practically Family
I would dry clean it, but take it someone who really knows what they are doing. There are certain dry cleaners who specielize in vintage clothing, like mine. Also maybe try taking it to a dry cleaner who does not use as many chemicals, I think there are ones who more environmentally friendly, and thus probably more friendly for your vintage garment.

G

GoldLeaf

If the main issue is smell and not the cleanliness, other ladies have previously suggested putting the clothes into a container with baking soda or kitty litter for a week or so to absorb the smells. Just put a layer of tissue paper between the clothes and the litter.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
If I am uncertain as to how the garment was last cleaned, I will wash it to be sure that no hidden stains (such as sugars, which will damage the fabric over time) were left behind.

For musty/mildewy odors, however, vinegar (you can use vinegar-soaked paper towels placed inside the garment) and a good airing in the sun helps to eliminate them.

maisie

Practically Family
Also i find that having an item dry cleaned doesn't really get rid of the smell. I have had a few things dry cleaned and they still smell when they come back, so its not really worth the bother.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Dry cleaning chemicals can actually be really bad for vintage garments! If you need to send it out make sure it's to someone who knows vintage textiles. My recommendation is the French Hand Laundry in Pasadena, CA. They take pieces from worldwide and even museams have things cleaned there. It may cost a bit more, but you can bet it will come back clean, repaired, and beautiful!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I never dry clean. I hate the smell of items from the dry cleaner and end up airing it out to get out that nasty chemical smell. :confused:

JBD made great points about hand washing.

See if the fabric is strong enough to take a delicate cycle in the machine. Put it in a hosiery bag and wash it on delicate.

If the prob is BO, then Id get some under arm shields for the garments and wear those.

LD

Miss Sis

One Too Many
I wouldn't recommend hand washing a suit with a lining as you don't know what they have used under there for stiffening and that often shrinks when washed, pulling the garment all out of shape.

I get lined suits and coats dry cleaned and handwash everything else. All my friends think I am a clean freak because of it but I want to know it's clean before I wear it!

I haven't had a problem with anything smelling but I'd try airing it or using lavender sachets etc first if you're worried about dry cleaning. I'm lucky as the guy I use has been brilliant with all my vintage and I just got a whole lot of things cleaned for a friend there as she was worried aout finding a decent dry cleaner.

Sadly I will be moving away from the area soon so the hunt will be on for someone who can do just as good a job!

LadyStardust

Practically Family
I have a question for you ladies now. I've been purchasing gabardine suits lately, and while they are all in excellent vintage condition, like Miss Sis, below, I want to make sure they're clean before I wear them. I'm not up to par with my knowledge on this fabric, so I was hoping for assistance. Would you recommend I get them dry-cleaned, or hand wash? And is it generally "When in doubt, hand wash!" Thanks for any help! :)

Grace

Vendor
As Miss Sis said-anything with lining/interfacing needs to be dry cleaned. Suits and coats go to the dry cleaner, everything else is hand washed in the tub with cold water and very gentle detergent. Oxyclean is great, but do not use it on silks or wool. Biz works wonders on underarm stains and various soil on cotton dresses. If I'm afraid the item will bleed, I put copious amounts of vinegar in the wash water. But don't use vinegar on linen as it will 'burn' the fabric.

Lady Stardust-gab is the weave of the fabric, not the content. It could be wool gab or the more coveted rayon gab. At any rate, if it's a suit, don't attempt to wash it yourself, and take it to a TRUSTED dry cleaner.

I posted this the other day, too, but if you go to my site and click 'articles' i have two articles about cleaning that came straight from a 1927 Butterick book. There are some good tips, but also a few outdated ones-I don't think people have access to Chlorofoam anymore. lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana