Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Cleaning Clothes (vintage or other) Thread

Nashoba

One Too Many
I've used my actual washing machine to handwash too. Just instead of running the machine I swirl the dress or whatever around in the washer by hand the same way you would in a tub. When I take the dress out I switch it to the spin cycle so it drains. It's not ideal but it does work.

pgoat

One Too Many
I am reviving (and peeking - sorry ladies!:eek: ) because I hate starting redundant threads....

I know all about the merits of limiting dry cleaning for fine wool and vintage stuff (I used to dry clean my suits once or twice a year whether they needed it or not). I also know from youthful indiscretion that you have to watch old wool (I lost lots of great vintage suits and pants to moths and other bugs).

But how do you :

A. Find a reputable dry cleaner near you?

B. deal with a problem?

I just picked up two items from my local cleaners last night. One was a 30-40 year old Levis jacket I was hoping wouldn't fall apart from the chemicals (It is about 50% beat up/broken in/faded - I only brought it there cause it was a recent ebay buy and it stunk of mildew). To my relief it was fine....it stinks like chemicals now and is a bit stiff but better that than mildew stench imo....

The other item was a pair of "Black Magic" Levis 501s (style 660 - all-black weave 12oz. cotton duck, not denim that fades, with white threads, etc.). I took these to the cleaners to try and keep them as deep black as possible (I wear them to work on casual Fridays). I got these back and the crotch area was scorched to the point that the seams are fraying and there is a near hole in the fabric (as in: I will be exposing myself publicly after another wearing or two...:eek: )

Not only do I hate losing these pants (forget about wearing them to work now, in any case), I also lose the $5 cleaning - and I also paid $8 to have them hemmed (I hate cuffs on jeans). So I paid $13 and got back pants that were messed up. I didn't notice this till late last night, after I got home.

I should mention we've had decent luck with these cleaners since moving here 8 years ago. The pants were not brand new but I may have laundered them twice at most. I KNOW they didn't look like this when I brought them in. They are not 'expensive', although they were valuable to me, especially as they were bought long ago enough to have been made in USA (no more of that for Levis, alas.). So in a sense they are 'vintage' and hard to replace (a current import version is available).

Would you bother complaining? I should mention I am a wimp about confrontation, but I would do it if I thought they could do something for me.....I just don't know if I can make an argument that USA 501s go for $30-50 on ebay, etc.....

It's stuff like this that makes me hate getting clothes serviced by others....I was just yesterday considering buying a Korean war era Pea coat that needed a new lining (I asked about this when picking up my stuff and the cleaner told me $100 to reline...:eek: )....it's enough to make me wanna go buy a sewing machine....:rage:

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
A tip for many of you who are wondering about spot treatments and hand washing. Use old-fashioned Lye soap! It's very gentle, will remove most types of stains, and unlike most detergents, it rinses clean so you avoid eventual dinginess caused by detergent residue.

SarahLouise

Practically Family
Just a thought to the mods - I think it would be a good idea to merge all cleaning/stains threads together.

Sorry to drag up an old thread but I've got a few questions as all I've found so far is conflicting advice and I'd like to hear your own experiences on these particular fabrics:

Rayon - lots of websites seem to recommend dry cleaning but some say hand washing in cold water is fine. I've just received a beautiful rayon blouse which unfortunately has a stain on the front (which wasn't mentioned) and I'm weary of treating it myself. It seems nobody here trusts the dry cleaners but I've read lots of horror stories of the dye fading and shrinking when hand washing.

Silk - again, lots of websites seem to stress that you dry clean but is hand washing safe enough?

Apart from crepe, suits with lining etc, is there anything you WOULDN'T hand wash?

Laughing Magpie

One of the Regulars
I was just wondering about hand washing some rayon items myself, particularly two rayon satin items I just bought - a negligee and a blouse.

If they were silk I would've handwashed them, but I brought them to my local cleaner, who I generally trust, and she said you had to dryclean the rayons. I've brought some items to her that I was sure she would say needed drycleaning but advised me to hand wash them myself, so I think she's giving me advice based on what's best for the garment, not just her business.

However, out of ignorance on my part, I think I've been happily washing a rayon men's smoking jacket/robe by hand with no obvious damage to the thing. It just needs a gentle iron after air-drying.

So.. I don't know.

The worst thing that's happened to me thus far from hand-washing was a set of Japanese souvenir pajamas, which I assume are silk. The silk came through ok but the embroidery dye ran terribly. I'm peeved because I initially thought it _would_ run, and so I tested a wee patch, which didn't run. So then I washed the whole thing. *sigh*

-Jen

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Rayon *does* shrink. Not as much as cotton or wool, but be very careful of it in warm water. Be *especially* careful if the garment is only partially rayon. I once hand-washed a rayon skirt with a nylon lining -- the rayon shrank and the nylon didn't, and the result had the lining hanging down a good three quarters of an inch below the hem of the skirt.

pennycarrol

A-List Customer
To wash my vintage blouses (that's what I wear the most!!!), I use "Savon de Marseille". I handwash most of my items!! Dry cleaning (I think) can damage a lot!!

Mary

Practically Family
to jitterbugdoll: I have shrunk a dress I believe is what you call crepe. What kind of steem are you refering to. I'd love to get my dress back! Right now it just hangs there and I've treied to figure out a way to make it wearable.

I'll try to take a picture so you can see if there's a chance.

M

Trickeration

Practically Family
I'm so glad this thread has come up. I've been wondering what suggestions some of you might have for cleaning a gown I have. It's a red on white swiss dot material. No stains, just the white looks kind of of dingy/dusty. It looks like it would brighten up nicely, I'm just concerned about the red dots themselves. Would they bleed or "wash off"? This material is new for me. Thanks!

And this is a kind-of-on-kind-of- :eek:fftopic: , but here's a solution for ink on vinyls (such as a purse or belt, couch or old doll). My husband got blue ball point pen ink on one of my yellow 50's kitchen chairs. I tried everything I could find on the net to get it out and the winner was 10% benzoil peroxide (yes, acne medicine). I put it just on the stain and set the chair in the sun. Keep an eye, just to be safe. It fades the ink. Being in Washington, my sunlight was short-lived, but the next sunny day should finish the job.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
KittyT said:
Rayon is tricky. In my experience, Rayon will shrink when hand washed, but how much is left to be seen.

I've handwashed a 40's silk rayon slip with no problems. However, I don't know much about rayon, so it might have been a different type or the fact that it was silk rayon that kept it from shrinking on me.

If this doesn't fit into the thread, let me know, but what do you gals do about ironing after you handwash? I'm wondering in specific about silks and rayons. I've ironed my silk tap pants on a low heat, but it definitely did not get the wrinkles out. Do I need to steam them? Higher temp? I'm terrified of ruining them!

Smuterella

One Too Many
I would generally dry clean rayon, unless its newish rayon and it says its washable - but then only hand wash cold. I think the best idea is to minimise cleaning of any kind as much as possible (people didn't wash things after every wear back in the day) and therefore to air out items (ideally outdoor)after each wear and to hang them in a hot bathroom to steam creases out before attempting to iron.

Anything delicate I'd iron as cool as possible and use an ironing cloth between the iron and the fabric to prevent shine. in fact if using an ironing cloth you can have the iron temp a bit higher.

Oh - and don't use the steam setting on your iron on vintage fabrics or silk...ever

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Mary said:
to jitterbugdoll: I have shrunk a dress I believe is what you call crepe. What kind of steem are you refering to. I'd love to get my dress back! Right now it just hangs there and I've treied to figure out a way to make it wearable.

Mary, sorry, but JBD is no longer on FL as far as I know.

I think she meant using a clothes steamer - the kind you use on garments that are hanging up.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Smuterella said:
I think the best idea is to minimise cleaning of any kind as much as possible (people didn't wash things after every wear back in the day)

I'm glad someone made this point! Note that wearing slips under your dresses (and dress shields too) can minimize the need for washing them as frequently, as slips will help protect your vintage dresses from your body oils and perpiration.

Oh - and don't use the steam setting on your iron on vintage fabrics or silk...ever

Why not? I do it all the time and have never had any problems. A lot of my items are cotton, but I have used steam on quilted skirts and and other items as well with no problems. My boyfriend uses steam on rayon gabardine shirts all the time.

Smuterella

One Too Many
theres a danger of water spotting, especially if your iron spits (as my cheapy one does as I live in a hard water area - being in London) I imagine cotton is OK as a water spot could wash out but on silks or silk mixes at can leave a permanent mark

I tend to the overcautious with my vintage bits and bobs.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Smuterella said:
theres a danger of water spotting, especially if your iron spits (as my cheapy one does as I live in a hard water area - being in London) I imagine cotton is OK as a water spot could wash out but on silks or silk mixes at can leave a permanent mark

Yes, silk will often water spot as will almost all types of satin (except poly satin), but cotton and many rayons are fine to steam. Certainly some fabrics will water spot or stain, but saying that it's not ok to steam ALL vintage fabrics because of your experience with a few is a tad rash.

Also, if you live in a hard water area, try using filtered or distilled water in your iron.

Smuterella

One Too Many
OK -I didn't express myself well obviously. I should have put on "delicate" fabrics. My advice is do not steam delicate fabrics.

Smuterella

One Too Many
I must remember to be extra careful around you Kitty - you are a real perfectionist and I'm a lazy typer.

:D

ShortClara

One Too Many
Hand Painted Skirt

Hi all,

I just acquired a lovely little load and amongst them is an Alix of Miami painted skirt, 50s. It's got some browning on the cream, might be rust (the skirt is painted in colors on cream). Anyone washed this kind of painted skirt with luck? It's cotton. I also recently got the rit anti-rust stuff. Has anyone ever tried that?

Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21