Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

the country drive

59Lark

Practically Family
taken out of context

no dead grandmas on lawnchairs, no wilds rides through cemeteries or up and down mountains, just fifteen minutes out of town. I cant stand living here that well, somewhere it takes a hour or more to see countryside really sounds like living on the darkside. Folks we aint modern or normal folks and finally we have decided trying to fit in, doesnt work. I wrote this thread hoping to help some other sad and worn out individuals who are in need of this peace. Dont get me wrong , i have a wicked sense of humour, actually quite twisted and weird. I just dont have the sense of peace living here and i am getting old enough and stressed out enough that i need more peace. i own a old studebake ninteen fifty nine and have hardly driven it this year . my wife enjoys modern comforts such as airconditioning and soft seats. 59LARK.

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
I remember that cross country road trip to see the grandparents in PA. Took us two days of hard driving, in my dad's Ford pick up truck with a camper shell. Yes, that's right, my big brother and I had to ride in the back. We wrestled, he was bigger and brutisher, naturally, and I can still recall, these decades later, banging on the window to the cab, hoping for a parental intercession. Mother looked back, then promptly closed the curtain so she wouldn't have to be bothered by me. :(
I had a wee stuffed panda, & after the trip it had a small rusty stain on its white face, from the busted lip I got.

Otherwise, my granddad liked to take Sunday drives up to the old mountains, about 45 minutes from our house. I hated them; he got out his gold Lincoln Continental, that still had the nauseating new car smell because he rarely used it. I disappeared into the low back seat, all leather and slippery. No fresh air because as the windows were never opened. Oh, that long, long, seasicky ride up to Mount Scott. When we reached the top, we might have gotten out for about 5 minutes, then back into the car for the long, long ride home. Agony!
What torture for a little tomboy.

59Lark

Practically Family
only comfort in places you know

we went for a drive in the country today, but it was in unfamilar country and a town that i havent gone in a decade and it was crowded with tourist, st jacobs ontario. i missed a turn and ended up in guelph ont, (home of biltmore hats) however it wasnt to be and i turned around immediately and found out the sign to st jacobs at one corner was only from the side from the big city. thats why i missed it, and also found one of those round abouts , i really really hate them, take them back to england please. other than seeing a rolls royce and new jaguar , and far too many tourists. there was a hardware museum and a model railroad layout of the town in the thirties that was kool. but i panicked cause i got lost and upset, i can stand driving where i dont know where i am going and its busy, i start to flip and do a hyper dave. so that idilac drive in the country is only okay, if its not crowded. ps the aircond works so it comfortable. 59lark:eek:fftopic:

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
59Lark said:
we went for a drive in the country today, but it was in unfamilar country and a town that i havent gone in a decade and it was crowded with tourist, st jacobs ontario. i missed a turn and ended up in guelph ont, (home of biltmore hats) however it wasnt to be and i turned around immediately and found out the sign to st jacobs at one corner was only from the side from the big city. thats why i missed it, and also found one of those round abouts , i really really hate them, take them back to england please. other than seeing a rolls royce and new jaguar , and far too many tourists. there was a hardware museum and a model railroad layout of the town in the thirties that was kool. but i panicked cause i got lost and upset, i can stand driving where i dont know where i am going and its busy, i start to flip and do a hyper dave. so that idilac drive in the country is only okay, if its not crowded. ps the aircond works so it comfortable. 59lark:eek:fftopic:

Sorry for your troubles....but it is a cautionary tale for those who come to my little town that has no traffic lights it is so small, but, very big if you get lost...lol

Jedburgh OSS

One of the Regulars
Washington County, Maryland

I frequent this one nearby: the road by Devil's Backbone County Park, Route 40 into Boonsboro, location of Nora Roberts' B & B and bookstore, past the George Washington Monument dedicated in 1832 and the South Mountain Inn where there is more food than your stomach can stomach, down the mountain toward Middletown by the South Mountain Creamery, a dairy that still delivers to your house and a fairly decent antique mall, more ruralness until you get to Braddock Heights, site of an X Files episode (Vancouver, really), and into Frederick and the madness of civilization.

Edward_Lindey

One of the Regulars
Two right before I left, One with my daughter before I took her to Her mothers, and another with my fiancee the wekend before we got on the plane. It will also be one of the top ten things to do when I get back. My truck is more to me than just a vehicle. It is a symbol of freedom and becomes more important to me with each year I loose over here.

I also took a nice drive down a river with my canoe. But that ended up going bad quite fast when it snaped in half after hitting a tree whily going through some rapids.

Edward

Big Man

Edward_Lindey said:
... It will also be one of the top ten things to do when I get back. My truck is more to me than just a vehicle. It is a symbol of freedom and becomes more important to me with each year I loose over here ...

Thanks for your service. I hope you are safely back in your truck and enjoying a quiet ride soon.

Big Man

I recall with great fondness the "Sunday drive" we often took when I was a child. Almost every Sunday we ate dinner after church at my grandmother's house. Often times after dinner, especially in the summer and fall, we would take a drive. Sometimes it was to go visit relatives, or visit the cemetery to "look after the graves". Sometimes, especially in the fall when the leaves were in full color, we would ride up on the Parkway. But, most of the time, the Sunday drive was around Lake James.

Since I've had time on my hands lately, I've tried to revisit the Sunday drive with my family. I've got my old '65 Ford back on the road, so that makes a good vehicle for an easy and enjoyable drive around the lake. Traveling on highway old number 10, there is a little country cemetery. As a child, I recall every time we passed that cemetery my grandmother telling me, "that's where Wash Turner is buried. He was put to death in the electric chair."

Well, I've told my wife and daughter about Wash Turner's grave so many times that now as we approach the old cemetery they in unison will say, "that's where Wash Turner is buried - he was put to death in the electric chair, you know." Of course they say it with a touch of sarcasm, but all in fun.

I guess I finally made an impression on them about something. :D

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
When I was a child, we lived at Lake Tahoe, on the California side. We took at least one ride around the lake. Even as a kid I appreciated the beauty of the mountains and so on.

I noticed several posters who have unfond childhood memories of family drives. I guess an extended drive in the country to get out of the house for a while is generally appreciated only by the adults. If you're a kid and it's forced upon you, it seems the ride is something to endure, not enjoy.

Cricket

Practically Family
My husband and I take Sunday drives every week after a family dinner. Sometimes our son comes with us but most of the time he wants to hang out with his grandmother. We have land out in the country so we drive by each plot and check the grounds. Then we ease down hundreds of gravel roads. This time of the year is perfect for our Sunday drives. The fall breeze is slowly starting to settle in, the colors will soon be popping out, and the shadows of the sun hitting my face for those early sunsets are wonderful.

In true country driver fashion, we always have to pull over when our son is with us. We have to stop and talk to the cows in the pasture. He is almost 2 and a future cowboy I suspect.

Come to think of it, this week I am taking a camera to capture some really beautiful country scenes. Will post this weekend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy