Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dark Knight (2008)

Cricket

Practically Family
We went to see it this weekend, and I was very impressed. I recommend this flick to anyone.
I was worried at first when I heard how long it was. But once I got in there, I was totally unaware that is was almost three hours. That is how much I was into it.
On Ledger's performance, I loved it. His laugh gave me goose bumps.
I loved Jack's acting, but his Joker was more comical evil. Ledger is clearly a psycho.
Do you think the story wil continue, and what villian do you think they will introduce or remake next?

Edward

Bartender
Mr_Misanthropy said:
I'd like to have a quality reproduction of Joker's suit! Though the honeycomb pattern shirt would take some getting used to. And it would need plenty of pockets for knives and toys.

Purple is the new black! :eek: How about it Mr. Magnoli?

I'd love it too.... one sold on eBay last week. It was a complete costume that a fan had obviously spent a long, long time on - every detail looked correct. Sold for just about USD1,000. Ouch. I've never spent about about USD500 on one single costume, nor would I. If I could get the shirt/jacket/trews, though, for a reasonable price I could be well up for doing that version of the joker next Halloween (already have one costume, inspired by various versions of the comic book character - see the Halloween costumes thread for photos).

Rachael

A-List Customer
we went to a midnight show with another couple, and absolutely loved it. Suz and I did spend large bits of the move admiring the costuming, namely the fact that many of the suits were obviously hand tailored. We are currently working on patterns for a replica, the hardest part right now is finding that honeycomb fabric.

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
Cricket said:
Do you think the story wil continue, and what villian do you think they will introduce or remake next?

WARNING: SPOILER ALERT

Good question. I was kinda surprised by the death of two-face, as the full character came into play so late in the game I figured they were setting him up to be a major baddie in a sequel.

RIOT

Practically Family
Cricket said:

I personally would like to see The Penguin next.

Cricket

Practically Family
Matt Crunk said:

Good question. I was kinda surprised by the death of two-face, as the full character came into play so late in the game I figured they were setting him up to be a major baddie in a sequel.

I agree. I was thinking the same thing. My hubby says I was looking too much into it, but when we got to work this morning I was like: Maybe he didn't die. Maybe it was some kind of ceremony honoring him while he recovered. My husband was like: You are looking too much into this.
I walked away as he laughed at me.
Yeah, maybe I was.

Cricket

Practically Family
RIOT said:
I personally would like to see The Penguin next.
That would be a good one. But I wonder who would play the Penguin. Devito did such a good job. I just hope they don't try to bring Catwoman back. Or if they do, please pick a good one. Michelle was great, but I wasn't digging Berry too much.

Rachael

A-List Customer
my only fear for the next films is that they may recast the Joker role. Being the arch-nemesis I could see the want to have him appear in future films, but this performance should stand alone.

If I had to vote for a new villain, I would love to see them bring back one of the female baddies, like Poison Ivy or Harley Quinn. Of course she's a Joker groupie so that rules her out.

There's a great list of all the baddies here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman_villains

RIOT

Practically Family
The League of Assassins would be interesting to see with Cassandra Cain aka Batgirl in the next flick. But that is later on down the line after Barbara Gordon.

Maguire

Practically Family
Matt Crunk said:

agreed- i figured they would just show Harvey dent here in this film and build him into two face in the next film. Otherwise the film definitely was worth the hype- Heath ledger did a great job, the Joker ruled... he reminded me of myself :D Biggest shame is that he's gone and can't continue as he really MADE this movie great. Every scene with him was the highlight of the film frankly. I hope they don't recast the role simply because there really is nothing they can do to top this, despite the Joker's importance to the Batman storyline.

that pencil disappearing trick was great too. So far this set of batman films was compelling but i have to say i find it highly unfeasible that a boatload of convicts and a boatload of civilians would just sit by and not blow each other up... and i think batman's frankly a wus.

Edward

Bartender
Rachael said:
If I had to vote for a new villain, I would love to see them bring back one of the female baddies, like Poison Ivy or Harley Quinn. Of course she's a Joker groupie so that rules her out.

My fantasy for parts 2 and 3 of this trilogy was for 2 to be, essentially, The Killing Joke, and 3 to be the Joker and Harley story - or that as a spin off. There's something quite tragic and yet very fitting about how the Joker creates Harley Quinn, and ultimately destroys her out of his own fear at the humanising effect she has upon him. I too would prefer them not to reprise the Joker in this franchise with another actor, though.... As to a part III villain, Two Face would be good; otherwise, it would be nice to see them come up with someone who hasn't been in any previous film. Clayface could work really well in live action, though I think rather too close to Two Face in many respects.

A frienc at university was a huge Batman fan - the first two films, anyhow. Hated the other two, as did we all. He wanted to see Burton come back for a fifth one in that run, with Michael Keaton back as Wayne / the Batman. He had a plotline he'd drafted himself - the main detail I remember was a scene in Arkham asylum featuring a cameo from both Kilmer and Clooney as Napoleon-complex victims who thought they wre Batman. lol

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Again, I am not, nor have I ever been, a comic book guy.
This movie, though, was amazing. I have seen movies that I like more, but it hasn't been since Seven or Silence of the Lambs that I've felt this excited during a movie.

Just to throw out an oldie that no one has posted here yet:

I paid for the entire seat, but only needed the edge.

Brett McKay

New in Town
I'm an old fart and can't stand huge crowds at movies. I'll be going to the see film in the next week or two. Definitely looking forward to it!

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
The Dark Knight...

Was very, very good!

Still, I wish the theater people had turned down the volume just a tiny bit. I left the theater with a bit of a headache.

I think Ledger's performance will be remembered as the ultimate Joker. Now that Ledger has passed, I wonder what will be done in regards to the Joker character in any future movies. Those are some extremely big shoes to fill.

I didn't realize the movie was only PG-13 until after I left the theater. I just figured it was R. Seems like movie ratings are getting less and less strict these days.

Bogie

One of the Regulars
Maguire said:
i find it highly unfeasible that a boatload of convicts and a boatload of civilians would just sit by and not blow each other up... and i think batman's frankly a wus.

Have to disagree with you there Maguire. I wouldn't be suprised if the convicts had friends, loved ones, ect. On the main land waiting for them, and they may have been present on the other boat. Vice versa with the other ferry. If you are a convict, are you really going to blow up and destroy the only people who still might care about you on the other side?

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
RIOT said:
The League of Assassins would be interesting to see with Cassandra Cain aka Batgirl in the next flick. But that is later on down the line after Barbara Gordon.

That might not sit well since Barbara Gordon is roughly seven (or so) in this Bat Timeline.

texasgirl

One Too Many
It was good, but it sure had a lot going on. And not necessarily in a good way. Maybe if you are familiar with the comics, you'd know more about all the story lines? I liked Batman Begins a lot more. I really like Maggie G, but I think she was miscast in this. The acting of course was wonderful by all, the joker was truly creepy. Definitely not my favorite movie of the summer, that goes to Get Smart.

I do agree with Scion- it should have been R. This is no movie for kids. I wish they had never started that whole pg-13 rating- parents bring young kids to them all the time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic