Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dark Side to Vintage...have you 'that' urge for a Gothic look..?

Matthew Dalton

A-List Customer
I'd make an excellent Victorian Goth, it wouldn't be much of a stretch for me at all. But I'd not want to abide by a particular group's rules, plus I'd rather strive towards a more up-beat lifestyle.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
Barry said:
I still like to go to shows although I get weird looks from some of the kids. "Uh, dude, what kind of jacket is that exactly?" "It's called a Hollywood jacket." "Uh, what's that??"

I saw the Phenomenauts (not really hard-driving psychobilly, but sort of the Man or Astro Man of rockabilly, I guess) and some guys that worked for XM radio came up and insisted that I looked like "Lou Brutus" from Fungus 53. I think it's because I was wearing a cap and I was also one of the older people there.

I insisted that they play more psychobilly and replay Hee Haw Hell more often. Had a nice conversation about Charley Horse and some other bands.

Barry

The Phenomenauts are EXTREMELY popular where I'm from up north. I've only seen them once, but they sure put on a good show! Don't be put off by the weird looks, the people who are truly there for the music (and not just to look cool) should be friendly!

I've heard great things about Charley Horse, but haven't given them a listen yet! I believe it has some members from the band Deadbolt in it? I don't know if you've ever listened to them, but they are one of my favorite bands.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Lauren said:
Agreed. It's just like on the vintage scene there's the rockabillys, the swing kids, etc... it seems lots of different social circles have their variences.

Definately not. As TheKitschGoth noted, it's descended from Punk. i was into emo for a few good years, and it was really amusing when the venues our concerts were held at were the same as Goth clubs. Everyone gave everyone else the stare down. It was all rather silly. I always figured live and let live- I know my interests aren't compacted enough to make me not see the good things in many different interest groups.

God I hate the term swing kids. I was meeting some dancers at a bar and the door man said something about the swing kids having left. I was 35 aat the time and dressed like a 35 year old from back in the day. the thought of being compared to some kid. I would like to be called a jazz hipster or something like that.

As for the Emo thing, I think there is a lot of cross over these days. Many kids are wearing a look that is kind of emo, but also rather goth. I guess they just pick up the style and make it their own. Maybe they are too close together at the Hot Topic.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Barry said:
I still like to go to shows although I get weird looks from some of the kids. "Uh, dude, what kind of jacket is that exactly?" "It's called a Hollywood jacket." "Uh, what's that??"

I saw the Phenomenauts (not really hard-driving psychobilly, but sort of the Man or Astro Man of rockabilly, I guess) and some guys that worked for XM radio came up and insisted that I looked like "Lou Brutus" from Fungus 53. I think it's because I was wearing a cap and I was also one of the older people there.

I insisted that they play more psychobilly and replay Hee Haw Hell more often. Had a nice conversation about Charley Horse and some other bands.

Barry

While the swing revival grew out of the rockabilly scene, the psychobilly scene, and even modern rockabilly has very little connection to vintgae or vintage eras. Where they used to dress like 50s greasers, it is more about black jeans and flames on the shoes with a t-shirt. I love how the brits and other europeans and Japanese are still into vintage rockabilly and vintage slacks, gab jackets etc. Very little of that here except for the LA Latinos.

The psychobilly scene seems to have very little connection to anything vintage. More like the skinheads. ( I don't mean racist) They grew out of the mod scooter revival, but you will never see one of them sporting a suit or knowing much about the mods.

I did know a guy in SF, I know some of you know him. Guido. He moved through the rock, rockabilly, punk, gearhead and car club scense as well as swing, often dri8ving his 30s oldsmobile and sporting a three piece suit, spectators and a homburg. He was so comfortable with himself that he pulled it off and was appreciated everywhere.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
reetpleat said:
While the swing revival grew out of the rockabilly scene, the psychobilly scene, and even modern rockabilly has very little connection to vintgae or vintage eras. Where they used to dress like 50s greasers, it is more about black jeans and flames on the shoes with a t-shirt. I love how the brits and other europeans and Japanese are still into vintage rockabilly and vintage slacks, gab jackets etc. Very little of that here except for the LA Latinos.

The psychobilly scene seems to have very little connection to anything vintage. More like the skinheads. ( I don't mean racist) They grew out of the mod scooter revival, but you will never see one of them sporting a suit or knowing much about the mods.

I did know a guy in SF, I know some of you know him. Guido. He moved through the rock, rockabilly, punk, gearhead and car club scense as well as swing, often dri8ving his 30s oldsmobile and sporting a three piece suit, spectators and a homburg. He was so comfortable with himself that he pulled it off and was appreciated everywhere.

True, psychobilly has very little to do with actual vintage style, but I still think it is derivative of it. As for the music, it definitely has its roots in rockabilly, rock n' roll, country, blues, etc. and I don't think that can really be refuted, even though some bands that are still considered psycho have taken it as far away from its roots as you can possible go (think Os Catalepticos, if you've heard of them).

However one of the most "psychobilliest" (if that's even a word!) guys I know is very obsessed with vintage housewares and clothing. Even though he doesn't wear it all the time, he has a closet full of vintage clothing in pristine condition. Then again, he's Latino! ;)

GOK

One Too Many
BAZ said:
KING KURT???
There's a name from the old days. Used to be chums with them and follow 'em around back in the early 80's!!

Oohhh wogga wogga! lol

They're playing in London in April!

Remember the Meteors? Next month they're playing 15 miles from where I live now....but here's the rub - the house I just moved from (a couple of months ago) was less than 10 yards from the venue where they're playing! :eek:

Salv

One Too Many
reetpleat said:
In the UK there was a short-lived swing revival in the late 70s that grew out of the soul and funk scene in the London suburbs in Essex. The larger revival in the early 80s was also partly via the soul scene in London where clubs like the Dirtbox, the Beat Route and the Wag were playing soul, funk, 40s R&B and jazz, and rockabilly to very well dressed vintage crowds.
reetpleat said:
Psychobilly was an offshoot of punk in the UK - motorcycle jackets, ripped jeans, black t-shirts and ridiculous hairsprayed pompadours. It's odd that in the US psychobilly grew out of mod. And the original UK skinheads weren't necessarily racist, having taken their stylistic cues and their favourite music from Jamaican rude boys in the late 60s. I was a suedehead (post-skinhead with slightly longer hair) in the very early 70s and I used to spend the occasional weekend with some suedehead cousins in north London. Their friends were a 50/50 mix of white and Afro-Caribbean kids and there was never any hint of racism at the parties and youth clubs we went to.

griffer

Practically Family
I was a southern goth growing up.

I have always played with the notion of an alternative to black and velvet as the south was so damn hot. I never wore velvet, just because of the heat.

I have had a fusion look in my head for quite a while- off-white frock coat with cream lace skirt, high collar and red piping, ascot and accents. All linen, all light weight. I would love to stroll the french quarter in that- with the proper hat and cane of course.

The juxtaposition is what i love.

In Oregon, I was a silly perky goff, when I went out. I actually think the stereo types are sad and lazy (Hot Topic). I really enjoyed making up my own outfits and pushing the envelope. My wife met me in my Oscar Wilde/London After Midnight fusion phase. One of my friends called it my doily-bat phase.

Clothes are fun.

matei

One Too Many
Wow... that is quite a look you have going there Paddy!

Perhaps the Fedora Lounge develop a sister site called The Gothic Crypt or something! :p

GOK

One Too Many
I think one has to remember that what seems stereotypical to someone outside the 'scene' is a means for the (often quite young) 'Hot topic' folk to feel a sense of belonging. It is often important for kids to be a part of a group - goodness knows, growing up is difficult enough for some, without feeling alienated too. In my experience, goth kids, skate kids, emo kids - call 'em what you will - are some of the most likeable, funny and intelligent people I've ever met.

Adult goths - I have lots and lots of goth friends and mostly they are beautiful people, both inside and out. Just because they wear black doesn't mean they are miserable! Black is stylish IMO. And in some cultures it does not have the morbid connotations so many in the so-called civilised world attribute to it. Quite the opposite in fact.

Despite some of the goth look not being my particular cuppa (some is!), I absolutely love the fact that people are caring about how they look and putting effort into it; even if it is a small one. Frankly, I don't care if they are dressed in impeccable GE attire, Victorian gentleman, 17th century courtesan, or bondage pants and mohican, the fact that they are doing something creative is what impresses me. And for that (doing their own thing..not impressing me!!), nobody should ever be denigrated or made fun of IMO.

Christopher

New in Town
Hemingway Jones said:
Thanks for the links, Haversack. I appreciate it. ;) Great stuff.

I picked up two like this on my trip to Venice. Where did you get yours? I stayed near the Accademia and the place was Dolce Franco. I fell in love with the mask shop.

On the subject of Frock coats...I managed to get one suprisingly from International Male. It was cheap in price but a nice warm wool with buttons on the front and back above the tails.

Let me see...(rumages through photos)...hmm..I didn't expect this to be my first picture to show you folks...

Here we go:

011_11.jpg

I am the guy on the far left. This was at a Goth Con in NYC in 2001, just 9 days before 9-11. It was my first huge gathering and I had no idea how to dress.

Christopher

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Christopher said:
Here we go:

011_11.jpg

I am the guy on the far left. This was at a Goth Con in NYC in 2001, just 9 days before 9-11. It was my first huge gathering and I had no idea how to dress.

Christopher

No worries Christopher...I know all the other folks in that picture...quite good freinds of mine!

griffer

Practically Family
Christopher said:
...On the subject of Frock coats...I managed to get one suprisingly from International Male....

:eek:

<shudder>

sorry, dude, but wow!

That's some bad catalog, Harry!

[Dead link removed -HJ]

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender

Christopher said:
I picked up two like this on my trip to Venice. Where did you get yours? I stayed near the Accademia and the place was Dolce Franco. I fell in love with the mask shop.

On the subject of Frock coats...I managed to get one suprisingly from International Male. It was cheap in price but a nice warm wool with buttons on the front and back above the tails.

Christopher
That La Bauta mask came from TragicComic on the way to Sant Barnabas. I don't know Dolce Franco. I will look them up when next I am there.

Staying near Accedemia must have been nice. I love that area down to Salute. I stayed in San Cassiano, so I had easy access to Rialto and San Marco.

Venice is the most Gothic of cities, so we are right on-point.

As for that coat; I am afraid you're going to have to post some photos of it. You cannot mention a coat like that without posting pics. ;)

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
pigeon toe said:
Vatobilly! I've never heard of that, but that's probably what LA psychobilly should be called, as the majority of psychobillies here are Latino! :)

Another band from that genre was the Flamin Hellcats. I was talking to some friends and I guess there are not many of those bands around now. I guess I'm kind of out of it now that I'm a dad.

And on another note I'm a little confused about why some people are feeling that others are disrespecting the goths in this thread, everyone seems pretty ok or at least neutral about the whole thing. No rants[huh] .

The lounge has to be one of the most respectful forums I've ever seen (especially since we outlawed the political stuff).:eusa_clap

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
GOK said:
Despite some of the goth look not being my particular cuppa (some is!), I absolutely love the fact that people are caring about how they look and putting effort into it; even if it is a small one. Frankly, I don't care if they are dressed in impeccable GE attire, Victorian gentleman, 17th century courtesan, or bondage pants and mohican, the fact that they are doing something creative is what impresses me. And for that (doing their own thing..not impressing me!!), nobody should ever be denigrated or made fun of IMO.

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap Well said!

And on the subject of frock coats, here is a pattern I have been wanting to try that some of you might be interested in having made up by your tailor:
http://www.lafnmoon.com/frock_coat.html

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
God knows, the anonymity of the internet opens the door to a lot of peoples darkest side, and not in a goth way. I mean in a mean spirited nasty way. I think the fl lounge is pretty respectful compared to some sites I no longer visit. I wasso dissapointed to see craigslist rants and raves go from a fun forum to the nastiest place I have ever seen.

griffer

Practically Family
J. M. Stovall said:
The lounge has to be one of the most respectful forums I've ever seen (especially since we outlawed the political stuff).:eusa_clap

Yeah! There's only two things I hate in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures...

...and the Dutch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran