Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Day the Earth Stood Still - Remake

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
No matter what they do the message is the same- "get your act together humans, we have the power to rock your world" Doesn't matter how much extra violence or how much less violence there is, the kernal is the same.

The film tickled peoples' fancies at the time just as several other sci-fi ET types did in the 50s. Godzilla's message was "don't screw around with nukes." Countless others were be watchful "They" are out there. The theme of "our world is dying and we like yours" has repeated many times. All these were embraced at one time like The Day the Earth Stood Still as innovative in story content.

All the original consisted of really was a furtive man that hung out with a kid, an ET vehicle that had a lot of muscle and didn't flex it plus a 1950 visual concept of what a robot should be along with a hint at his weaponry.

Cut to a flood of scenes of dead motor vehicles around the globe and whamo, you got a genuine, on budget, B-grade sci-fi flick.

Again, the story essence is thought provoking but the movie ain't gonna be Award material no matter who plays who.
Flashs_Ship_movie.gif

funneman

Practically Family
Another Remake!

Let's hope they do it justice as John Carpenter did for "The Thing" and not what Tobe Hooper did to "Invaders From Mars"!

funneman

Practically Family
One more thing

I have always found it interesting that when Klaatu comes back to life, he tells Helen something like, "I won't be around for very long, that would be the job of the Almighty"

I wonder if the studio made them put that in, so as not to offend the religious sensibilities of the 1950s.

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
STOP REMAKES

PLEASE!!!!

1. There remaking Brideshead Revisited into a feature film. You can't top the orignal PBS TV Series!!!

2. The Day The Earth Stood Still. You can't top the atmospherics of that original film!!!

3. King Kong, Peter Jackson's biggest problem was the original film, you can't top it !!!!

Solid Citizen :eusa_doh:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails